Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #1

Champion Inverter Generator

Hello to all, we are thinking about buying two Champion 2000 Watt Inverters and using them one at a time or even hooking them up together so we can run the a/c on our RV. Has anyone used the Champion 2000 and if so can you give us your thoughts? Thanks so much

Tom and Kathy
Northe Ga

Slow but Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

Haven't used the 2 KW unit specifically but as a 15 year user of Champion generators I can attest that they are a quality product. I still have my original 3000/4000 watt open frame and for the last two years have used my new 3500 watt Champion Inverter for many, many, hours, I have no doubt the 2 kw units are just as good.

My personal choice was to have only one Inverter/Generator and I carry it on a generator platform on my rear bumper. For my needs a 2 Kw would be a little small, running at max output for my AC and to use it simultaneously for charging or running the microwave would require setting up two units.

Now I do most of my battery charging from solar and only run the generator for AC and occasional microwave use. When it's running it also charges batteries although not required (unless Sun is taking a week off and sky is dark).

With the generator on it's own platform (a GennyGo) I don't have to wrestle anything around and to route the fumes up and away I also have a GenTuri exhaust that is secured to the rear ladder. No more noise or vibration than a built in generator on a MH.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

I also have the 2k champion ... thought about getting another to power AC but just heard about the microair 364 unit. Going to install that this spring and only bring one generator.

Microair.net
pradesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradesj View Post
I also have the 2k champion ... thought about getting another to power AC but just heard about the microair 364 unit. Going to install that this spring and only bring one generator.

Microair.net
Isn't the Micro Air 364 just an easy start for A/C's...I don't think it allows one to run an A/C with lower watts. Depending on the A/C that might be the only thing you run with the generator, unless Im missing something.

Mike
Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow but Steady View Post
Hello to all, we are thinking about buying two Champion 2000 Watt Inverters and using them one at a time or even hooking them up together so we can run the a/c on our RV. Has anyone used the Champion 2000 and if so can you give us your thoughts? Thanks so much

Tom and Kathy
Northe Ga
We bought a Champion 2k model 100478 from Tractor Supply earlier in the summer. Used it for several days during a dry camping week. Itís light weight only 38 lbs, quiet, and started on 1st pull. It kept batteries charged and allowed us to use coffee maker and lights.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

walaby, it's the starting or surge watts on the A/C unit that is the issue and reason people buy these micro air kits. My Champion is 2k watts surge. Using the parallel connector and my 2nd champion generator, I can provide 4k starting/surge watts.

I bought them a year ago and never fired them up, as I have only camped at campgrounds with electric so far.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow Tigger, that's 12 lbs lighter than my 'cube' style Champion, 24 lbs in weight savings if you bring along both, very impressive.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #8

I have 2 of the cube/stackable 2000W units (model 73536i) plus the parallel connector (model 73500i). Works fine for AC.
My only complaints are that they are kinda loud (especially vs the Hondas) and the fuel tanks are small.
There are some 3rd party/after-market extended run fuel systems for them, but I haven't tried them.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow but Steady View Post

Tom and Kathy
Northe Ga
They are great generators for the price and really no louder then the honda's . the difference is so small only those with very sensitive hearing would know the difference if there is any at all .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
We bought a Champion 2k model 100478 from Tractor Supply earlier in the summer. Used it for several days during a dry camping week. Itís light weight only 38 lbs, quiet, and started on 1st pull. It kept batteries charged and allowed us to use coffee maker and lights.
That's an amazing weight for a 2000w inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
They are great generators for the price and really no louder then the honda's . the difference is so small only those with very sensitive hearing would know the difference if there is any at all .
What I've noticed with small inverter generators, 2 Kw versus 3 Kw-3.5 Kw
is yes, the small inverters are super quiet on "Eco Mode". However when running at close to their max output they are a lot louder.

I recently camped next to a couple that had their little red 2,000 watt generator running to charge batteries. Converter was evidently drawing enough that whenever the water pump was used, or funace kicked on, the little red generator went "full throttle".

My Champion 3500 Watt Inverter didn't sound as loud even while not in Eco Mode.

I think a lot of how people perceive generator noise has to do with tone. Small exhaust on an engine running at high RPM can sound different than a larger exhaust on an engine running at a more moderate RPM. Different tones and different levels of irritation.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's an amazing weight for a 2000w inverter generator.
Not only is it light, when under a load it was not much more noticeable. My brother in law, who really is a part-time camper and likes to give his opinion(s) on all things was next to us in a tent but never complained once.

Tags
inverter