Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #1

Change to 50amp

I am considering changing to 50a from 30A. What i am thinking is to change cable outside plug in,and inside cable.Install 50a panel and sub feed existing converter form it and move A/C to 50A panel.I have done house wiring I know it will work electrically,just not sure if RV'S have different rules.existing 30A is tripping and want to be able to use elec.space heaters in winter.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I just installed a 50 amp sub panel in my coach so I can run my AC Units or Microwave on the generator without effecting anything with my inverter. I just pulled the two breakers for the AC Units and the microwave out of the main coach panel and moved them to the sub-panel. The sub-panel I added is after my transfer switch. I have a 50 amp Main Breaker, a 20 amp for each AC Unit and a 20 for the Microwave and a 50 amp breaker to the inverter for the remainder of the coach. Although my set up was already 50 amps, you should be fine with a panel prior to your existing tie if you put the big draw items in the new panel and then add a 30 amp breaker to take care of the existing set-up. One thing to remember the Power to the AC unit is in the new panel but the 12 volt control wiring is still part of the wiring inside the coach panel.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Maybe you can just change the cable, plug & main 30 amp to 50amp. the breaker buzz in 30 & 50 amp in most cases are the same size. IT just the how breaker it will install.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Breakers trip because the current trough them reaches their max capacity. If you are tripping a factory 30 amp installation, shouldn't you first figure out why? What are you using above an beyond what the factory thought was adequate? Have you searched this and other forums to determine if your trailer wiring of 30 amps seems marginal? If it is tripping at 30 amps, and all is stock, then there must be a problem somewhere that should be addressed. If you need the extra capacity for electric heaters I understand, just hate to see you ignore a problem and it become a nightmare later.

If you have done house wiring, you know the drill. Get an AMMETER and start checking each circuit, one at a time, at max load for that circuit, in other words, all appliances on. Now make sure each device is drawing the proper current, and add them up for TOTAL MAX load. Don't forget the electric water option if you have it. Good Luck, and if you just add the 50 amp without checking first, please don't camp next to me, I like may camper and don't want it to catch fire.
Electricity is not like a snake, a snake you can see before it bites.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
wls

I'm going to up my 30 amp panel to a 50 amp one, I currently have a Parallax 7300 series, just bought a Parallax series 500 power center, like my 7300 series, it has a 50 amp converter all in one. I will use 6 guage wire form the outside plugin, and a 8 gauge ground, to the new panel, plus a 50 amp shore cord. Transfer all ac and dc wire from the old one to new, and designate one for the additional air (reason I'm doing it). I have to open my current location, about 1" taller to accomadate the new power panel.
wls is offline   Reply With Quote