Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Changing a light bulb...

So I just want to change my burnt out led light in my Windjammer... Anyone have any idea? See Picts... Do I need to take the whole fixture off? I did a search here and didn't see anyone having issues so clearly I am having a blonde moment (yes I am a blonde)... 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445825082.715839.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445825096.946245.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  81.5 KB

I really have to missing something simple right? I mean it's just a flat LED...

1st year owner.
Rockwood Windjammer 3029w "Alpha Site"
Enjoying life while the kid is away... In College...
2014 - 8 overnights
2015 - 9 so far...
Old 10-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemikey View Post
So I just want to change my burnt out led light in my Windjammer... Anyone have any idea? See Picts... Do I need to take the whole fixture off? I did a search here and didn't see anyone having issues so clearly I am having a blonde moment (yes I am a blonde)... Attachment 92844Attachment 92845

I really have to missing something simple right? I mean it's just a flat LED...

1st year owner.
Rockwood Windjammer 3029w "Alpha Site"
Enjoying life while the kid is away... In College...
2014 - 8 overnights
2015 - 9 so far...
Hi replaced one in my 2015 v lite that is recessed in the ceiling. I had dealer order new light fixture from FR. I removed the 2 small screws that holds the fixture to the ceiling. Then pull down on the fixture. Watch out for the spring loaded brackets on the side of the light fixture as you pull it out of the ceiling. If not careful you will find out how the mouse feels when the spring gets you. With that said I had the light switch turned off to the fixture I was removing no power. Cut the 2 Leeds after the crimped wire nuts close to the light fixture. Striped the wires back and wire nutted and taped the wires together made sure polarity was right and the light came on. Put back in ceiling very carefully two days later my finger stopped hurting from the spring on the side of the light fixture. You can't replace the Led only! The whole fixture has to be replaced.

hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi replaced one in my 2015 v lite that is recessed in the ceiling. I had dealer order new light fixture from FR. I removed the 2 small screws that holds the fixture to the ceiling. Then pull down on the fixture. Watch out for the spring loaded brackets on the side of the light fixture as you pull it out of the ceiling. If not careful you will find out how the mouse feels when the spring gets you. With that said I had the light switch turned off to the fixture I was removing no power. Cut the 2 Leeds after the crimped wire nuts close to the light fixture. Striped the wires back and wire nutted and taped the wires together made sure polarity was right and the light came on. Put back in ceiling very carefully two days later my finger stopped hurting from the spring on the side of the light fixture. You can't replace the Led only! The whole fixture has to be replaced.

hope this helps Tim
Thank you!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

My lights are similar and I used wire nuts and taped them and they are working fine...but I have been informed that they should be crimped to ensure they don't work loose.

More information for you to consider.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Andy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Dahagen

LED's don't burn out except for high over voltage. Probably a loose wire if they don't work.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #6

Bulb redux...

Unfortunately, light bulb replacement on modern RVs is such a time consuming, expensive and complex task, most dealers now recommend simply purchasing a new RV.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

You had more than a burnt out bulb, you had a full melt down! You do not have a bulb to remove in the picture you have posted, and it looks like the wires are hanging down, you need to replace the whole fixture now as the socket for the bulb is melted also.
It should just pull out from a socket that you do not have anymore.
Happy Camping,
PS you can go to any home center and get those fixtures, they are not special to rv's.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Unfortunately, light bulb replacement on modern RVs is such a time consuming, expensive and complex task, most dealers now recommend simply purchasing a new RV.
That is awesome, I am going to tell the wifey that one
Old 11-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
This is not entirely true. I changed the fixture with the new one in less than one half hour. FR warranted the light. If you don't want to change it dealer can but will cost you gas money to bring TT to dealer. I heard from one post that the light costs around $40.00 if you have to buy it. I would push FR for warranty.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #10

We had the same light in our 8329ss over the bathroom vanity go out. Got a replacement from FR through our selling dealer. The led board is not individually replaceable.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light