Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Chaparral A/C leak

So... purchased a 2018 Chaparrell 370 FL last spring. Lots of quality control issues. Last week, during a rain, water started leaking in around the front A/C. Took the trim off of the inside to tighten the mounting bolts. 3 were fairly loose.....1 was about 3/8” from touching the frame. The bolts are 1/4”diameter and go into nutzerts in the a/c housing. It appeared that 1 nutzert, (threaded rivet), had damaged threads when it was installed. Apparently the installer cranked down the bolt till it was tight...completely stripping it before it bottomed out.....so it was doing nothing to seal the unit.

The dealer had the obligatory “sucks to be you” attitude....explaining that had I found this 3 weeks earlier it could be covered under warranty.

I really didn’t want to remove the unit to try to retap, and the bolts were 8” , 1/4-20....which no one local carried. I ended up using allthread, tapered the end and cut a slot in it, thus making a big self tapping screw.....ran it in, and put a nut on it.

So sad the workmanship is so poor, and quality control is non existent......as is customer service.

Ok...I feel better....thanks for listening.

mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

mikkeeh,

Thank you for being a part of the Coachmen family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Chaparral. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Joe Schueneman in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServ...54370102150857.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River

ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
mikkeeh,

Thank you for being a part of the Coachmen family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Chaparral. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Joe Schueneman in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServ...54370102150857.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River

I’ve spoken with Mr Schueneman several times regarding other problems. The issues are beyond his control, and a result of an industry with zero quality control, and complacent consumers.
Even on this forum its standard belief that a new RV will have lots of issues....and you just have to deal with them.
I happen to be well versed in electric, plumbing, and general mechanical. I fixed most of my issues at my own time and expense, because after spending $50k for an RV, I refuse to have it tied up at the dealership for months. It’s not right...it’s an unfortunate fact.
It’s obvious that units are assembled as rapidly as possible, with no concern for quality.
The dealership are no better. The PDI is minimal. They are happy to cash your check, get you out the door....then schedule your coach for service , commonly making it unusable for 4-8 weeks.

An example: My black tank flush didn’t work. Usually (as was the case this time) it’s installed backwards. It’s too much effort for the installers to actually look at the flow direction arrow imprinted on the valve. My problem was I couldn’t locate the valve. I contacted Mr Schueneman to ask where it was located. Here’s his response.
“Production facilities all shut down this week. The hose for the tank flush goes from the water control panel up thru the floor to the check valve then to the tank. I gave you the primary locations, so the only other location would have to be by the washer drier hook ups off the bedroom.. you could still look behind the shower faucet as it is mounted on a flang that comes off the shower wall tso you can acces the water lines to the faucet and the valve is uusually tied to the lines that feed the shower faucet.”

None of which was correct. If Coachmen builds the unit...and your main service rep doesn’t have the info.....what does that say about your product?....
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak