Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Question Charger/converter

Hello, I have a Forest River Cardinal 5th wheel LE Model 30WBLE and just installed two 6v interstate golf cart batteries (in series). I have an onboard Onan generator that I use to charge batteries when dry camping. I would like to install a Trimetric TM-2025 RV meter to monitor charge. I have read that I should have a three stage charger to properly maintain and charge the batteries. I have Parallax 7400 series, model 7465 converter/charger, which I understand is not a three stage charger. What converter/charger should I get to replace the Parallax charger?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on how and where to install the Trimetric meter? The batteries are in the front compartment and the cardinal monitor panel is toward very back of the trailer. I do not see an easy way to run the wires from the battery compartment to where the Trimetric will be mounted near the monitor panel. Any suggestions on how to fish wires to where the meter will be mounted?

Thank you,
ghammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #2

Connect to the Positive (+) and Negative (-) terminals at the converter, instead of at the battery.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums.

As I have already dealt with these issues, here is what you need to know. First of all you are correct the Parallax charger is only 2 stage and will never condition or maintain your batteries correctly. If you dry camp a lot you must change it out for a good 3 stage. I went with the PDI 9200 series converter/charger charger. I have been extremely happy with the PDI converter/charger and price wasn't all that bad.

2nd, If you have the Trimetric already you should follow the instructions for installation. You MUST use a shunt inline with the NEGATIVE battery cable that attaches to the frame. You can use standard telephone or Cat 5 twisted pair network cable to run from the shunt and battery to the meter. The meter records all amperage use coming and going to the battery bank and for that reason nothing should be directly connected to the negative battery cable between the shunt and the battery. Again follow their directions for installation.

I must say that I will never own another rig witout a Trimetric as it allows me to keep a very accurate eye on everything that happens with our battery bank while dry camping from solar charging, inverter power use, you name it.

Running the wires is of course different in every rig so you have to do what is more convienient. The Trimetric doesn't have to be with your other monitors, just somewhere easy to see and read it. I have found though that where there is a will there is a way. It took me several days of climbing under our rig, through compartments and into cabinets to figure out how to run our wiring. Study how other wires are run in your rig and take your time.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Connect to the Positive (+) and Negative (-) terminals at the converter, instead of at the battery.
I do not recommend this. It is counter to the directions and will not give accurate results.

I ran the wire bundle from the battery compartment, through the storage area, to a hole in the kitchen wall. I fished the wire bundle up to where I cut a hole for the unit.

You must put the sensor wires on the shunt at the negative post of the battery. The battery condition lead must be fuse connected at the positive post. These are clearly spelled out in the directions

I can take better shots of my install if you need them.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #5

please send photos

Herk7769,
Please send any photos you have of the installation, especially where you ran wires.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammons View Post
Herk7769,
Please send any photos you have of the installation, especially where you ran wires.

Thanks for the info.
Currently I am in WA state without the camper. I will try and send you more photos to your email address. Have you looked at the 3 I have on webshots?

Lou

Try here in Flagstaff album http://travel.webshots.com/album/574779537IVEtLp
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #7

photos

Lou, I only can see one shot from the link you sent via email.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammons View Post
Lou, I only can see one shot from the link you sent via email.
I added a link to my previous post.