Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Charging system

I have a 2004 Lexington. New to the RV lifestyle. I have been warned not to just plug in shore power when I have the rig at home. The house batteries will bleed off the fluid if they are on constant charge.

Does my MH have a multistage charging system that switches to maintenance mode when they are fully charged?

I do not live in an area that freezes, but should I still remove the batteries and keep them in my shop on maintenance chargers?

A local battery specialty shop told me to buy evaporative fluid recycling caps for the cells, then just keep shore power plugged in all the time and just run the lights one night every few months. He said even if there is not a multi-stage charging system on the shore power, the recycle caps will prevent the fluid from burning off under the constant full power charging.

My main question is what kind of charging system is on a 2004 Lexington.

Thanks
turbosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

look at your convertor where ever it may be located and open it up it will tell you what the make model and serial number is .

I leave mine plugged in all winter the convertor/charger goes into float mode after so many days of non use .

which would mean do not turn lights on every so often.

convertor charger may look like this or similar .

Name:   wfco.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  8.4 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	wfco1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	8160
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
RV Newbie

I have a 2004 Lexington 210. The converter is in the power center which is below the frig. Yours may differ. The photo on the prior post is the power center. The converter is in the bottom half.

No reason not to hook up the power. Does the fan on the converter run while on shore power? It should be a three stage.

While parked you should flip the store switch. You might do well with a battery tender/miner to supply a trickle charge while parked.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote