Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
If FR offered Good Year Marathons, Carlisle Radials or the Maxxis as tire options, I would have gone for it. I
Goodyear Marathons came on my Surveyor, and the were made in China. The spare would not was out of round. Come to find out, 4/32nd had been shaved off of 1 side of the tire to try to make it work......the opposite side still had the nobbies and new tire markings. That is the stuff we get from China. I understand that Goodyear has gotten a little smarter, and now some of the Marathons are made back over on this side of the world.

The C rated tires are not the determining factory on the GVWR of my trailer, the axles are......and I am running about 2000 lbs. total below the GVWR. For those that are running close to the GVWR, then I can understand the change to a higher rated tire.

Forest River is doing nothing different than other trailer manufacturer with their tires. If you are uncomfortable with the close margins, then buy new tires.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
The Sasks;
"I also looked at the 8528 CKWS and if the GVWR of 9600 is correct and the pin is at abt 1900"
Actually, the pin weight on that one is 1600 lbs, and ours is even lighter at 1400, so you can see that the safety margin is smaller than you think.
My point is that if FR put good quality tires on my camper, I wouldn't be so worried about pushing their limits. But putting that much weight on a Chinese tire makes me nervous. They might be fine, but why would I want to be constantly worried about it every minute that I am travelling?
For $500, I can have some peace of mind.
Another issue I noticed while removing the tires is that the rear axle has rotated on its mount, and thus the rear tires have lifted and are not carrying as much weight as the front. What does that do to that 'margin of safety'? Another cause of tire failure?
When FR attached the axles, they only put bolts through the vertical flages, assuming that friction would hold the axles from rotating? How utterly stupid is that? There are holes in the axle mounts to bolt up into the frame, but FR was too cheap to pay one of their workers to do the job right.
It really is ridiculous how many corners are cut, and how little it would take to do the job right.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
mtnguy, my axles are also maxed out, as they only put 4000 lb axles on my camper. But they are not necessarily a safety issue, they will just wear out faster, and I will switch them to a heavier set when necessary.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I think most of the blowouts attributed to manufacturer issues (ie country of origin) can be laid at the doorstep of road hazard. A curb strike (or road trash) can cause belt damage that won't result in a blowout for a LONG time after the event.

It could take time for broken steel wire(s) to work its way to a vital spot or belt separation to occur and deflate the tire usually at the worst possible time (Finegal's Law).
Yep! Underinflation, driving over the rated speed, overloading, poor balance, road hazards, etc. cause most of the problems. Your tire can disintegrate but how do you know it wasn't from a road hazard and the tire losing inflation? Once disintegrated, the evidence is gone. This subject has been beat to death. It's a lot easier to blame the Chineese origin of the tires.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Villa Estate 392FLFB
just remember when you replace your tires to get TRAILER tires! so many people i know put on PASSENGER RATED tires!! its just depressing...

once again when i worked a stint at a walmart TLE a guy came in with one of those old 70's 4 bolt camper rims and wanted a new tire put on. guys at front got everything going and they brought the rim back and i could see right away it was for a camper. refused to do the work and the customer flipped and the manager tossed him out lol.

this kinda rim to
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
Sasks...what ever tires one does buy brand wise...I highly encourage trailer radials over biased ply tires. It might be a no brainer in this day and age, but I see folks put bias ply tires on boat trailers and campers all the time. Radial ST tires take heat better and dissipate it better and over all tend to be built better...
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Our trailer a minilite 1809s came equipped with good quality tires made in USA and class c 6 plies tires.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
My last camper came with Nankangs and after 2 years I discovered all 4 had nasty bulges on the sidewalls. Unfortunatley we were 500 miles from home and I didn't want to risk the drive. I found a tire dealer in town and asked for the best made in America tires they had. They set me up with a set of Goodyear Marathons. When I got home I went to put a coat of tire protectant on my new tires and on the sidewall was stamped "Made in China".
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
I replaced my tires with Goodyear Marathons and they were made I Canada. Now here is some thing kinda crazy, i bought a new truck in 2008 and i check all of the info on the tires. The tires where made in the same year as the truck, the tires were also made in U.S.A.

Now when i bought my camper new in 2006, i check the tire info on them, the date code on the tires were stamped "0426" the tires were made in the year 2004 and in the 26th week of that year, the tires were two years old, now that is crap.........
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou
Not only that; but the tire manufacturer's warranty is from date of manufacture; not installation on the camper. My Carlisle tire would have been covered by FR if the blowout I had was within the first year. It was not. So a call to Carlisle (two year warranty) confirmed that since they had no control over storage and use; their warranty was from date of manufacture. At installation my tires were 14 months old leaving 10 months of "warranty" when I bought it..

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote