Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

cherokee light flooring issue

ANybody else had any issues with this ? I bought this new last year and used for a couple of months on and off well my house was being finished . It had since been winterized by the company I bought it from . And sat ever since . Went in it last week for the first time in almost a year and found this .
Click image for larger version

Name:	i=phone misc 024.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2554[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	i=phone misc 025.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2558[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
I even bought the extended warranty . this isnt even the worst of it . opened the rear slide out and found the same thing . pulled it back a bit and found that there is no glue holding the lino down what so ever . I payed over $50,000 for this unit and Rangeland rv trailers in Balzac ALberta ,Canada said there is no warranty on this . Asked them what the warranty covered and they said other "stuff" like the awning and wiring . they then informed me for $190 an hour plus parts ,they would be glad to fix it for me . They wonder why there is violence in this world .Measured today when i drove there and back from my house to the dealership is 112km . thats how far this has been towed since new . This unit has only been used a couple of times since new not impressed at all . Tried getting ahold of Forest river directly but still have not found a number on the net .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i=phone misc 028.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2555   Click image for larger version

Name:	i=phone misc 027.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2556   Click image for larger version

Name:	i=phone misc 026.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2557  
haywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #2

Here are a few more pics just so you can see how good of shape this thing is in Brand NEw

Name:	i=phone misc 023.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2559

Name:	i=phone misc 022.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2560

Name:	i=phone misc 021.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2561

Name:	i=phone misc 020.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2562

Name:	i=phone misc 019.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2563

totally disappointed in this as well . Also wondering if anybody has gotten wind of companies double billing the manufacturer as it goes on up here alot in the automotive side . I had an instance where my truck was in being fixed and they wouldnt cover it so I had to pay out of my own pocket only to find out later that they also billed the manufacturer for the work and where getting payed twice . Once from me and once from warranty from the manufacturer . I own auto parts stores up here and have a good friend in corporate for daimler chrysler he looked into it and there has since been a big investigation and the company lost there license and a big law suit . It always makes you wonder where the customer loyalty has gone when you get treated like this . Cheers
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

Wow - that is a shame. It looks like a really nice camper. I did see that happen in a used Surveyor I was looking at this winter. The dealer told me the vinyl is only glued around the edges. In the frozen northland the vinyl contracts and becomes brittle at our cold temperatures. It can split on its own but usually it happens if the trailer is moved. Any flexing will cause the vinyl to split. The one we saw was actually a lot worse than yours. Anybody that does flooring can take care of it. The dealer quoted $5,000 to replace it, I got a quote from a flooring store for $2,000. Hopefully you can get the dealer/warranty co/Forest River to help you out.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #4

Your telling me . I never moved it for one and another couple grand on my opinion is out of the question. I don't hope they step up they better !
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

THAT is absolutely a warranty problem. If that is the same stuff that comes on a camper we just ordered, it is made by a Norweigen Co. and when I looked it up on line they warrantee it, too.
But, also, there is a thread on this forum that lists phone #s for FR. I would call them first. It would be covered under their 2nd year warranty if that is the one you bought.
Your dealer is a modern day highway robber, imo.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #6

Unfortunately most all of the RV manufacturers do not use glue when putting down linoleum. If you live in a very cold climate where temps drop very low and stay that way then it is imperative that you keep some heat in the rig during the winter. Your not the first or the last to have this problem.

Although we don't see lots of cold here where we are, we have always kept a space heater going in our rigs and the temp at around 50 while in storage and have never had these problems. I know this can be hard for some to do.

Personally I wouldn't replace the flooring with the lino but find some surplus laminate flooring at a building liquidator and use that. We did our last motorhome with Bruce laminate flooring and it was awesome. Got it for a lot less at a liquidator and just bought the miscellaneous trim pieces we needed at Home Depot who carries Bruce. I think we did our whole 30' motorhome at the time for less than $200 and a few weekends of work.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #7

yeah keeping a heater in it during the cold months is totally un practical it would cost me thousands a year and this shouldnt happen . I bought a different brand a few years ago new and never had a single problem with it . I have owned over 12 rv's and never had this issue with lino . when you pay this kind of money for a unit you think you would get better than $2 dollar lino . maybe they should spend a little money on some glue . all my other units the lino was glued down all the way and no issues at all . Our winters are around -20 and colder for at least 5 months a year.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #8

Wow, your electricity prices must be horrible that a simple space heater would cost you "thousands of dollars a year".

I haven't owned an RV yet by either Fleetwood, Winnebago or FR that had lino glued down and I too have had several.

I hope it's still in warranty and that FR will take care of you and I hope you insist that they install the new flooring with glue.

Good luck and keep us informed what happens.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #9

It would have to be glued down otherwise it would "bubble up" or have air pockets under it. looks to me like someone either missed the whole trailer or they are taking terrible cost cutting measures. we had an 05 Cherokee Lite 28A and now an 07 Cherokee 32B. I have never had a problem wiht the lino cracking and peeling up, and it gets cold here......sometimes weeks straight. I`m talking 15deg to -20! never any issues.

Call Forest River and see what they have to say.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

What some of you may not know is at one time, vinyl flooring was made that was called "edge glue". The flooring came special wrapped, and when unwrapped, and installed, was only supposed to be glued around the edges. Once unwrapped, it started shrinking, and by gluing only the edges, allowed for it to tighten itself. Great theory, poor in practice. There wasn't any way to stop the shrinkage, and most of the flooring split in a few years. This happened in homes and campers. Don't blame the camper manufacturers' for installing the flooring to specs.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote