Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Hi Psandoz.

There are 3 types of circuit breakers to choose from.

Type 1 - which will auto reset themselves over time and will continue to cycle if the over voltage continues.
Type 2 - will also reset, but you have to remove the power source first before it will do it.
Type 3 - is a manual reset style and typically it will have a button on the breaker itself so that you can reset it. (Mine was a type 3, but no button)

They all look the same and you can get them all in the same bracket configuation, the only difference is the part number - see this website for more info - (click the circuit breaker link on the left hand side once you reach this page, its in the blue the way, I don't work for this company, nor do i sponsor them, this link is for reference information only) for why use a circuit breaker instead of a glass fuse...the only thing that I could find was a short article that talked about initial loads with various motors, such as your slide out or a power tongue jack or the starter on a generator. Apparently, they found that the circuit breaker held up longer to these initial loads then a regular fuse would and over time, you would have less problems and replacement costs. Another article i read talked about how circuit breakers were designed to replace the fuse (like they did in the house power application). So who to believe??? You're guess is as good as mine...but in either case, we need power and more then likely, we need it at that very minute, so the work around you found to get your slide to activate out would probably be fine in the short term, but I think replacing your circuit breaker would be a wise decision so it continues to protect all the other equipment. I still can't believe i did what I did on mine, so thankfully, that was there.

As for the location, I could only guess that where you put it is up to you. Easy access is key and if you need to relocate it to make it easier to get to, then I don't think that would cause any problems...just make sure nothing can fall onto it and short out the two posts....or order one of those boots from the website i mentioned to cover it to prevent that. One thing i did on mine was replace those dang "square headed" screws that held mine onto the frame of the trailer. Its murphy's law that the one time i didn't throw that bit into the tool bag, something happens and i'll need it when i'm in the middle of nowhere and can't find one.

Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Where is a Forest River expert?

Doesn't Forest River have people that monitor these forums so they can give out the correct information on the parts they use?

All I read in these forums is a lot of guessing and what i would expect is some expert help.

donny292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by donny292 View Post
Doesn't Forest River have people that monitor these forums so they can give out the correct information on the parts they use?

All I read in these forums is a lot of guessing and what i would expect is some expert help.

Donny, we have a handful of FR employees who are members here, at their own choice. FR doesn't require them to and they usually are associated with the FR brand they represent.

And I seriously doubt anyone from FR would be monitoring a nearly 8 year old thread.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote