Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
CampeRooo

circuit breaker question

I did something really stupid the other day. We decided to go camping over the weekend, so I plugged the camper in at the garage to get the frig cooled down. Thinking that the electrical system wouldn't charge the batteries up quick enough before we left, i decided to pull the charger out of the garage and put a 2amp deep cycle charge on it. Well...i wasn't thinking and I didn't pull the leads off the battery before connecting it, plugged it in, set it for 2 amp deep cycle and walked away. Came back to a 100% charge and off we went. Well, we got to the camp site and i turned the porch light on...nothing. Checked all the fuses....all good. ????

Ok, time to get dirty...crawled under the camper and followed the + lead to a circuit breaker that was attached to the frame (surprise!!!). Here's a pic:

So now i'm looking for a replacement, but they make 3 different types. Question is, what type is the right one to replace this one. Here's what's written on the side of it.

Shortstop
24VDC G03 40A

I get the 24 volt (why 24 over 12?) and the 40 Amp part. I didn't find anything on Bussmann's website to reference the G03 (unless it just means, type 3).

Any advise oh electrical guru's of the forum?

Thank you

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

I am certainly not your electric guy but are you saying you blew the circuit because you were useing the charger and the shorepower? Doesn't a charger usually drop to a trickle once you have reached the magic number 12+ volts or something like that???

Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
CampeRooo

Yup...charger was on the same terminals of the battery as the leads that run back to the converter that was on shore power at the time. Glad I didn't blow anything else up besides the c.b. My charger has three settings, 2 amp being the lowest setting and once a battery hits 100% charge, it turns it off and just shows the volts and battery %-age. So if it trickle charges after hitting 100%, cool...but i'm not positive on that theory. Guess i should read the manual again

Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Site Team

All you need is a 40 amp bolt in fuse.
You call it a circuit breaker but a circuit breaker is made to open and then
have the ability to be re-set either manually or automatically after the excessive
current is stopped.
So are you saying your circuit breaker won't reset or you actually have a bolt in fuse
that is burned out?

Any low voltage fuse of the 40 amp persuasion will work fine.
As long as it's 12volt or more it's ok.

AND your onboard power center will certainly charge your battery much faster
than 2 amps while your fridge is getting cold.
If you are plugged in for 6 hours or so I would guess that your battery(s) will
be fully charged unless they were way dead to start with.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team

You might actually be able to purchase a 40 amp circuit breaker from a place
like Autozone. That's were I'd go first!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
CampeRooo

KyDan - That's just it. I don't see any kind of reset button or switch on this and I don't see anyway of taking this apart, it's all one piece. That's what threw me off in the first place, typically they do have some way of manually or automatically resetting, but even if i took the power supplies off of it and then put them back on, it didn't reset. So i'm guessing that i burned it out completely. oops.

The only reason why i thought that the converter wouldn't charge them up quick enough is because when i first ran through all the paperwork i received with it said that it only trickle charges at about 1/2 an amp while it's connected. I'll go through the paperwork tonight and see if that holds true or if i am remembering something that i read in the forum. Thank you for that insite...you're probably right!

I'll hit the hardware store tonight and see what they have, following the advice you listed above about it. Thank you...

Joe

Old 10-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Team

What you have is a "one time fuse" and so now you need to replace it.
Why it blew is a mystery but it's not all that uncommon to blow the main fuse.

As I said, you can replace it with another 40 amp fuse OR you can replace it with
a 40 amp circuit breaker.
I'd check my local auto part store first as they are most likely to have electric parts
in the 12 volt range.
If you've got a RV dealer nearby they should also have a bolt in 40 amp fuse.

Here is an example which I found very quickly by googling for 40 amp 12 volt circuit
breaker
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/breakers.asp

Either of the top 2 would work for you.
The 2nd one has mounting tabs made onto it.

Good luck!
KyDan
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
CampeRooo

Alright....I'm all set to go again.
Visited the auto parts store while i was getting some new wiper blades for the wife's vehicle and they had a 12V version of the 40 Amp circuit breaker and so far so good.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why there was a 24V version on there in the first place, but in either case, it works again.

Thank you for the help and information, KyDan!

Joe

Old 10-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Chances are the only difference between a 12v and a 24v circuit breaker or fuse
is just the printing on the case.

I love a happy ending!
KyDan
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #10

Circuit Breakers ??

Interesting thread here and relevant. On a recent trip, the slide in our Class C would not extend. Checked the usual and traced back to the breaker in the battery compartment. I "shorted" the breaker by moving the lead to the slide (left lug) to the lug from the battery (right lug) - I realized I was overriding something but had no choice. On our last trip, the alternator did not power the cab, so lights and refrig ran on battery until we plugged into a shore line. Seems to be same thing - a cable from the power center runs to a breaker and back through the harness. I took the breakers out and testing with an ohm meter and them seem to be fine, but when in service they seem to be open.

Question then - does anyone know why manufactures use circuit breakers in the battery compartment vs. using a fuse or breaker in the power center that is accessible? Any are these circuit breakers (mine is a Shortstop) made to be reset, or do they reset themselves? Thanks for any insight.

Tags
breaker