Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

cleaning foam mattress

hi all,

Its me again i have lots of questions, lol.

I have my class c rv with the bunk above the cab, the foam bed has a odor and i am wondering if the foam can be cleaned and deodorized

Thx again
allphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Team

i would just have a new piece cut for your mattress. it shouldn't cost that much and the quality and feel will be much better.
a foam mattress made in 1997 is 25 years old.

i'm also going to move this thread out of the Plumbing and Water section, since it has nothing to do with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

2012-1997=15
Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
2012-1997=15

for some reason i was thinking 1987.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

We replaced our mattress with a memory foam mattress, and covered it with a waterproof liner.
All mattresses absorb dead skin cells, bacteria, and sweat. After 4-5 years, at a quart a day per person of body moisture, and around 5 lbs of skin cells, it is no wonder that foam mattress is starting to smell. Also, foam mattresses no matter how expensive, form mold spores that live on the moisture, and all mattresses have a colony of house dust mites that live on skin cells. The feces the mites leave behind are a source of asthma attacks.
So, cover the (New, I am sure you are going to get a new one after reading this) mattress with a water proof liner, and wash it when you wash your blankets, or sheets depending on how often you want to pull it off.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
We replaced our mattress with a memory foam mattress, and covered it with a waterproof liner.
All mattresses absorb dead skin cells, bacteria, and sweat. After 4-5 years, at a quart a day per person of body moisture, and around 5 lbs of skin cells, it is no wonder that foam mattress is starting to smell. Also, foam mattresses no matter how expensive, form mold spores that live on the moisture, and all mattresses have a colony of house dust mites that live on skin cells. The feces the mites leave behind are a source of asthma attacks.
So, cover the (New, I am sure you are going to get a new one after reading this) mattress with a water proof liner, and wash it when you wash your blankets, or sheets depending on how often you want to pull it off.
You know, even though I know this stuff, its still kind of creepy seeing it in print! I have allergies and asthma, so I know what you're talking about. There is really no way to clean a mattress, whether it is a regular inner-spring mattress, a foam mattress, memory-foam, etc. the best way to prevent dust mites and all the nastiness that go along with them, is to encase your mattress and box spring in ZIPPERED allergen bedding. There are many fabrics available, from those with membranes to protect your mattress against stains (they're not breathable, so if you tend to sweat when you sleep, don't get this kind!) to breathable cotton. The zippered covers completely encapsulate your mattress and box spring so mites cannot get into or out of your mattress. There are also pillow covers, duvet covers, futon covers and bed bug proof covers. Just do an internet search for hypoallergenic mattress covers.

I'm now having a case of uncontrollable itching....wonder why???
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I'm now having a case of uncontrollable itching....wonder why???
Bedbugs?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

Thought that was the reason we took our camping rig...to keep from getting bed bugs!

BTW Has anybody replaced their mattress with one of the foam mattresses say from CW? We have a TemperPedic at home and the spring mattress in the trailer. Boy what a difference!
Almost makes me want to go home to sleep when we are on the road!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote