Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #1

Cold Weather Transition

Hi,

I've been sitting for two months in Gulf Shores in 60-70 degree weather. It has been raining and exceedingly humid a great deal of the time, with rain predicted almost every day next week. And at the end of next week, I will be headed home to northern Illinois, where predicted single digit temperatures are awaiting.

I have the typical winterizing of the water systems pretty well under control for this sort of transition. No problem there.

But I am concerned that virtually every element of my fifth wheel's furniture, carpeting, woodwork, etc., is saturated with humidity right now, and that there may not be enough travel time for it to move to a lower humidity saturation level, and avoid micro scale freezing problems when it hits the sustained predicted very low temps next week.

Am I overthinking this? Or should I do what I can to slow down my travel and arrival time, to allow things to assume lower humidity content before subjecting the unit to such a low temperature extreme.

Just asking ...

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I've been sitting for two months in Gulf Shores in 60-70 degree weather. It has been raining and exceedingly humid a great deal of the time, with rain predicted almost every day next week. And at the end of next week, I will be headed home to northern Illinois, where predicted single digit temperatures are awaiting.

I have the typical winterizing of the water systems pretty well under control for this sort of transition. No problem there.

But I am concerned that virtually every element of my fifth wheel's furniture, carpeting, woodwork, etc., is saturated with humidity right now, and that there may not be enough travel time for it to move to a lower humidity saturation level, and avoid micro scale freezing problems when it hits the sustained predicted very low temps next week.

Am I overthinking this? Or should I do what I can to slow down my travel and arrival time, to allow things to assume lower humidity content before subjecting the unit to such a low temperature extreme.

Just asking ...

Rich Phillips
Have you been running your AC? If you have it's probably not as bad as you think. I sat in Miami from 1 Dec. To last week just came back to Virginia. Granted it's not as cold as Illinois but had no problem at all, didn't even winterize, and I'm still not winterized, but like I said it's a tad warmer here. Your probably over thinking your humidity problem. As you get to where you need the heater, use it and that should help. I'm sorry I had to leave, but life go's on, and all good things change....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

Go to WM and buy a 30 qt dehumidifier.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Could try something like this...and leave it in the 5'er while driving...

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50F...-10&th=1&psc=1

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

I think your logic is good — I never would have thought about the effects of humidity with the temperature change the way you have described, but it really does make sense.

I don’t know how I would approach the solution, but the first thing that comes to mind is a dehumidifier, as Cavie suggested. I think you would have to camp in a relatively dry climate for a few days with the dehumidifier running, then, after you are satisfied with the humidity level inside of your RV, get to where you are going as quickly as possible.

Bruce
Old 02-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

If yours is a diesel vehicle wait as long as you can before purchasing fuel going north.

Winter diesel is different from FL diesel and can wax up the fuel system.

AS a precaution stop in any truck stop and purchase a can of conditioner made for this purpose.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

Hi,

I appreciate the input.

There was no AC use while here. And unfortunately we will not have time to sit in a drier intermediate location or with a humidifier running. We are leaving here prematurely on a sort of tight schedule, in order to get home because of an emerging family crisis up north.

If I could do it timewise, the dehumidifier idea mirrors my own thoughts. I guess I will have to hope that heater use on the way up will push enough humidity out to moderate the impact.

Thanks again.

Rich Phillips
Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

I'm in the same area. Combo AC and heat the 2 months we have been here. Start to home Friday, should be dry by the time I got home in Jersey. 3 days home unless the weather doesn't cooperate!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I appreciate the input.

There was no AC use while here. And unfortunately we will not have time to sit in a drier intermediate location or with a humidifier running. We are leaving here prematurely on a sort of tight schedule, in order to get home because of an emerging family crisis up north.

If I could do it timewise, the dehumidifier idea mirrors my own thoughts. I guess I will have to hope that heater use on the way up will push enough humidity out to moderate the impact.

Thanks again.

Rich Phillips
Well how wet is it? There hasn't been a very high humidity down south this year, the 2.5 months I was down in Florida it never rose the dew point more then 60 that I remember. December to April are really the lowest time. I don't think you will be having a problem, get 3 tubs of damp out and drive home. And if you stop at night run your heater, you will be fine with the trailer. That's just my opinion..

Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Hi Doc,

I am right on the Gulf, and probably three days out of four for the last month we have had either rain, heavy fog into the mid morning (such that condensate from the big pine over my trailer literally rains on the roof for hours), and/or humidity numbers in the 90s. The rest of this week we have rain predicted four days out of five....

I may be overreacting, but I am sort of paranoid about mold and rot. This is the first time we have gone back so early and so wet, and also into sustained predicted artic temps.

My storage area up there has no power. I may have to bring a book and stay with it while I set up the generator, fire up the heat, and let my dehumidifier run all day.

Rich Phillips
Old 02-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

Are you by Biloxi Miss. Or where you at? The humidity down there is realitvily low 43% today. I surely get what your saying, but I was 1 mile from the gulf in Miami, and never had a problem with anything car ,RV, outside furniture or anything. If your leaving in a week, go get some tubes of damp out and start the process now, at least then it won't get worst and might even dry it out in time. You will know how bad it is inside by how much they collect, best advice I can give you, good luck and have a safe trip home.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #12

Hi Doc,

Gulf Shores. Went through Biluxi yesterday coming back from Baton Rouge, and barely stayed ahead of that big front late in the day.

And yes, today is beautiful here, as is the forecast for tomorrow. But look at the rest of the week...

And we leave Friday for northern Illinois, where it might get decent some time in late April or May. (grin)

Ah, I'll figure it out. It's just a potential.problem I never had to contemplate before.Thanks everyone!

Rich
Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #13

Baldwin County for these past 2 months has not had the rain that west and east of us has. They consider this area subtropical. We have had some cold and some rain, not like west of us. Foggy a few mornings and overcast days. Otherwise the weather was great. If the weather holds all the way home, should be there Monday.
Much more fog and rain on the Gulf Coast of Alabama then up by I 10.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #14

Safe Travels Deuce, hope we run to each other sooner then later...🤠

Old 02-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #15

We are going to the Tad Pole, Brass Ring and Williamsburg this year. Only hold up will be when I have to go to Drs.