Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Coleman air cond gasket crush ?

Does anyone know how much the air conditioner gasket is supposed to be crushed? I know that there are yellow indicator tabs inside the unit, but my ceiling cover is siliconed to the ceiling, so I can't easily check, and I really don't want to have to cut it off unless absolutely necessary.
I am wondering because while up on the roof, I checked the gasket and it was unevenly compressed, about 5/8 inch on one side and less than 1/2 inch on the other. There was a noticable difference in how the gasket looked, from hardly compressed at 5/8, to bulging at the other side.
I sure don't want a leak, and any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

Say Herk, where are you? You had some posts on this issue, and seemed to know more than anyone. I sure don't want to have to cut that cover off if I don't have to.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Say Herk, where are you? You had some posts on this issue, and seemed to know more than anyone. I sure don't want to have to cut that cover off if I don't have to.
crocus, Lou is helping other customers (nah, just kiddin' ) This is one his posts that may address what you are looking for. air conditioner leaks inside See the file attached to the post.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

I am the one herk helped - you acess the mounting screws from inside the trailer. My unit is not ducted so the plastic housing inside can be removed by removing several screws.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Herk has been helping me through private messages. Since my cover ( the one on the ceiling) is siliconed to the ceiling, I sure didn't really want to cut it off just to check. Luckily, it was only the front of the unit I was worried about, and it turns out that I could access those bolts and the related guage tabs from where the return air filter cover comes off. It turns out they overtightened the bolts, as both tabs were below the top of the roof. One was just overtightened more than the other.
My only question would be, is it really that difficult for the people who build these things to just do their job properly? Geez.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
My only question would be, is it really that difficult for the people who build these things to just do their job properly? Geez.
to answer that question - Nope cause you pay cheap wages you get cheap work and besides it should be the QA person to find these mistakes before it goes out of the factory.

seems some are built nice and others are built crappy - must be like the Vehicle Factory's where you dont want your vehicle if it was built on a Monday or Friday - Monday they are coming back from a hang over and Friday they can't wait to party and get that hang over lol

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote