Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
bmg

Question Compartment locks

Just read through some of the old threads regarding locks and have a question.

We recently bought an SV264 and I've been breaking the budget getting it outfitted. For one I bought a slew of Trimax locks for the hitch, coupler and receiver. So far I have more keys than the average janitor. I'm aware of the need to replace the compartment locks. But in searching I haven't found a pair of locks that are keyed alike. I like the round cylinder type of key the best. Trimax uses them and I really feel they're more tamper proof. Has anyone seen a pair of this type of lock for the compartments?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
The Old Man

Just installed these last weekend:

Amazon.com: Camco 44293 5/8" RV ACE Key Baggage Lock: Automotive

The one shown here at Amazon was a single but they do come in 4 packs with all 4 keyed alike. I'm guessing if you need more than 4 you could special order them from Camco all keyed alike. I bought mine at Camping World. They come in different lengths so make sure you measure your existing locks to get the right length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0358.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2881  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Tweety's sells them in four pack.
Ace Key Baggage Lock, 4 Pack - 3 Lengths Available
Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybob View Post
Tweety's sells them in four pack.
Ace Key Baggage Lock, 4 Pack - 3 Lengths Available
Thanks ToyBob. This was what I was looking for to change all my locks and I wanted the same key for all.
Seems that Camping World no longer has the multisets online.

Anyone else have any place elese for buying replacement locks with the same key. I do like the round key.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Thanks ToyBob. This was what I was looking for to change all my locks and I wanted the same key for all.
Seems that Camping World no longer has the multisets online.

Anyone else have any place elese for buying replacement locks with the same key. I do like the round key.
Fortunately, we live in a town that has a Camping World. I found the set of 4 Ace round key locks there today. The only drawback that I can see is that the key can only be removed in the locked position. But we can live with that as long as not everyone on the block has a key. With the ch751 locks we have now, there virtually no security. Most campers are good honest people, but it only takes one to walk away with the goodies.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Fortunately, we live in a town that has a Camping World. I found the set of 4 Ace round key locks there today. The only drawback that I can see is that the key can only be removed in the locked position. But we can live with that as long as not everyone on the block has a key. With the ch751 locks we have now, there virtually no security. Most campers are good honest people, but it only takes one to walk away with the goodies.

That is a very interesting point that the key can not be removed in the unlocked position. I guess that just makes sure you loke them back up.
Good security practice.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
That is a very interesting point that the key can not be removed in the unlocked position. I guess that just makes sure you like them back up.
Good security practice.
You are exactly right, that's the way the lock is design. Our locks that are used for "lock out tag out" program are the same way. If we lock out a piece of equipment and leave the key in the lock then anyone can open the lock and turn the equipment on and that can be dangerous. If you are able to leave the key in your storage compartment then why lock it, so is one good feature about the lock.....Remember, locks are for honest people and
the more you pay for a lock the better the lock is.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Jas

what about getting spare keys for this style of lock? At least with the standard looking keys you can find some place that can cut your a spare if needed.

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #9

I bought locks through Mcmaster Carr. You can get locks with different lengths and still order the same keys.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I bought locks through Mcmaster Carr. You can get locks with different lengths and still order the same keys.
Bought our locks from www.ch751.com and got 2 same code keys with each lock we ordered. Prices were very reasonable and service was excellent.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #11

Now you've all gone and done it and added one more "must buy" item for my rig!

I had heard about the storage compartment lock issue but hadn't given it much thought until now. Some of my storage locks have been sticking lately and besides the added security I think the round keys will work better.

Looks like I am going to go visit the rig this weekend and work up my order for new locks.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Bought our locks from www.ch751.com and got 2 same code keys with each lock we ordered. Prices were very reasonable and service was excellent.
Herk, thanks for the tip. I had just bought 4 of the Ace locks at Camping World yesterday and thought that was the best option available. But I talked to Penny at ch751.com and ended up buying from her. They're shipping Monday from CA so it should make it here in time for our next venture out.

I only need 2 locks so that was better than having 2 extras that I really don't need. Also their key can be removed in the unlocked position. That feature is handy if you're working around the RV and want to close the hatch w/o messing with the key each time. Also they have a ton of key combinations so the chances of someone having the same key is really remote. There are Ace keys all over the place so I imagine they wouldn't be as secure.

Penny did say that I may have to modify the hole with a cam that they provide. Hopefully there's not much modification to do. I really don't want to change the hole size if at all possible.

Next trip to Camping World, I'll return the Ace locks. They're getting to know me quite well, since I end up returning a lot of odds and ends to them. But I've spent a ton there so they tolerate me. At 65 if they tolerate me, I figure that's a plus.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #13

Just curious... does any of these retrofit lock kits actually change the style of locking mechanism inside the baggage door?

I can tell you from first hand experience that regardless of what locks the camlock from the outside, a flat head scewdriver will get a thief into it in about 3 seconds.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpybeartx View Post
Just curious... does any of these retrofit lock kits actually change the style of locking mechanism inside the baggage door?

I can tell you from first hand experience that regardless of what locks the camlock from the outside, a flat head scewdriver will get a thief into it in about 3 seconds.
Locks...

Keeping honest people honest for generations!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Locks...

Sad but true.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Hey Lou, what did you spend on those 2 locks???
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Hey Lou, what did you spend on those 2 locks???
I bought 6 lock sets for 65 dollars.
They came with the correct cams and keys.
Since I bought locks for the two propane compartments (then removed them for safety ) I had one to replace the outside shower door lock.
I also now have a like keyed spare.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Locks...

Yup.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #19

I got tired of dealing with misplaced keys and upgraded to the combo-cam locks. The only regret is that I didn't do this sooner...

Cam Locks - Hatch & Compartments - Hardware
Henlsey Arrow & TruControl Gold
Longest Trip: 2009 - 4 Weeks - 8030 miles Coast to Coast.
zbittsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #20
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbittsurveyor View Post
I got tired of dealing with misplaced keys and upgraded to the combo-cam locks. The only regret is that I didn't do this sooner...

Cam Locks - Hatch & Compartments - Hardware
You may be smartest of us all. But I now have more keys than the average janitor so what's one more?