Old 09-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #11

True, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdoctor View Post
I feel everyone's pain. However, one can not perform warranty work on their new Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. It has to go to an authorized dealership for warranty work if you want it done at no cost.
That isn't really a very fair comparison. There are usually multiple dealerships to choose from for Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. And, they don't expect to keep your vehicle for a month to perform a 10 minute job. Most also could care less where you bought it. It seems (in my experience) that a service center that you didn't buy your unit from doesn't really want to do warranty work for you

Old 09-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

Hi mikkeeh,
I feel your pain & believe me we've all been there.
However you have another choice. One that I've used very successfully
and with FR.
Look up an RV Mobile Mechanic on the internet or in the phonebook where you live that's "authorized" to work on FR products. Have him come out and look at your frig. He can order the part for you and come back & install it when the part arrives. Should be no cost to you.
That way your TT isn't tied up for months. Your get an "authorized"
FR repair & everyone's happy.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdoctor View Post
I feel everyone's pain. However, one can not perform warranty work on their new Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. It has to go to an authorized dealership for warranty work if you want it done at no cost.
Not so true. I blew a turbo hose on my new then F-350 on the way to Silverton CO. I had to keep stopping every 2 hundred miles to reinstall it. My buddies riding with me called ahead to Ford in Durango. They didn't have the hose and clamp in stock but brought it in from Farmington NM. Payed for and picked them up from Durango on the way back home and installed new parts in their parking lot. Got home and contacted my dealer and they GAVE me new hose and clamp and I gave them the defective ones. It's all about communication
Old 09-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
yes I have tried being nice...FR would do something like that, sent me a box of parts to fix my sewer connection when it was my fault...no charge.

Not so with customer support at Lippert, even when they know it was their problem after an extensive email conversation, pictures, etc. Probably depends on how they feel that day.
That's part of the problem. E-mailing pick up the phone you can communicate a heck of a lot better and probably got your part. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

Comparing the automotive industry warranty work and the recreational vehicle warranty work is like comparing the American Airlines with Greyhound...

The automotive industry is heavily regulated by the government, the RV industry is not. At my local Ford dealer every tech is ASE certified, at my local RV dealer the last RVIA certified tech quit 2 years ago. Shop time at my Ford dealer is $125 at the local RV dealer $149. Automotive techs are better paid and trained than RV techs, and the list goes on. I know there are some decent RV dealers out there, but they are few and far between. Add in the onerous warranty procedures in place and no wonder people don't want to deal with it.

I did call WFCO, and emailed them and reached out to them on social media. They are not interested in satisfying a customer. They make their money selling to the OEM industry.

I had an electronic engineer buddy of mine take a look at the WFCO and the Progressive Dynamics units. He says that the WFCO is built with very low spec parts compared to the PD unit. He was not surprised that the main capacitor blew up. He said based by the rating on it that it would probably fry at 124 volts. Most AC stuff is SUPPOSED to be designed to take a range from 110-127 and still operate, this is considered the "tolerable" range, favorable range is 116-124. WFCO also has a known issue with their units not going in to bulk charge mode unless the battery(s) are nearly dead. There are several better engineered and built units on the market, but they are more expensive.

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

Have you tried calling the manufacturers and being nice but slightly forceful?
If the first person you speak to says no, ask for someone else.
Have you reached out to them on social media?
It's worth a shot!
Good luck!!
In fact thats where I started. I called Norcold and was immediately told I needed to "talk to a refrigeration tech." I said "that sounds good." She put me on hold....and transfererred my call to a dealership several towns away. They had no idea how to help...or why the call was transferred to them. I called Norcold back and asked to speak to a tech at their facility. They said there was no one there and I should contact a dealership.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
Hi mikkeeh,
I feel your pain & believe me we've all been there.
However you have another choice. One that I've used very successfully
and with FR.
Look up an RV Mobile Mechanic on the internet or in the phonebook where you live that's "authorized" to work on FR products. Have him come out and look at your frig. He can order the part for you and come back & install it when the part arrives. Should be no cost to you.
That way your TT isn't tied up for months. Your get an "authorized"
FR repair & everyone's happy.

Contacted a couple "mobile mechanics". They all say they cant be reimbursed for travel to do warranty work...unless its a problem that prohibits transporting the rv ie....axle, bearing, brakes etc.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #18

I had my IRV radio go out. Called IRV and they sent me a new one free and they paid shipping cost on new one and returned old one that they paid shipping. I had new one within 5 days. Pulled out old one, and plugged in wires. No hassle with rv dealer. RV dealer said to take it to them in 3 weeks. They would have had my TT for 4 or 5 weeks.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #19

I have read most of the replies to the subject of warranty work. Here is my take on the subject of RV warranty work, the RV dealership that you purchased your recreational vehicle or travel trailer from is not the ideal place to get it repaired. The dealership is in the business of selling new units, have service repair personnel that have little or no training and are usually overloaded with units to service. If you want fast reliable service, find yourself a RV Repair Service center that does not sell RV's at all, but are in the business of just repairing them. Most can do your warranty work and could care less what brand of unit you own. His bread & butter is repairing your unit as fast as possible and having a satisfied customer. He knows that an unhappy customer is going to talk about him and he will lose business. So save yourself some heart ache and go with a rv repair shop and not a dealer.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Not so true. I blew a turbo hose on my new then F-350 on the way to Silverton CO. I had to keep stopping every 2 hundred miles to reinstall it. My buddies riding with me called ahead to Ford in Durango. They didn't have the hose and clamp in stock but brought it in from Farmington NM. Payed for and picked them up from Durango on the way back home and installed new parts in their parking lot. Got home and contacted my dealer and they GAVE me new hose and clamp and I gave them the defective ones. It's all about communication
Don't forget to shoot some hair spray just inside the hose where it covers the pipe.

We had a fire truck that kept blowing off the hose and would drop into limp mode. Clamp after clamp wouldn't work. The service center claimed, as a last resort it was supposed to blow off to avoid damage to the turbo. A little hairspray later and it ran for 20 years until it was retired with nary a hose blow off since.