Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I have read most of the replies to the subject of warranty work. Here is my take on the subject of RV warranty work, the RV dealership that you purchased your recreational vehicle or travel trailer from is not the ideal place to get it repaired. The dealership is in the business of selling new units, have service repair personnel that have little or no training and are usually overloaded with units to service. If you want fast reliable service, find yourself a RV Repair Service center that does not sell RV's at all, but are in the business of just repairing them. Most can do your warranty work and could care less what brand of unit you own. His bread & butter is repairing your unit as fast as possible and having a satisfied customer. He knows that an unhappy customer is going to talk about him and he will lose business. So save yourself some heart ache and go with a rv repair shop and not a dealer.
That's great... if you have one in your area. I can't find any listed for our part of the country. There are a couple of mobile RV repair companies, but neither one will do warranty work. The 5 closest RV dealers to me(100 mile radius) are 4 Camping Worlds 3 Campers Inn and two independent dealers, who won't do warranty work unless purchased from them.

Given the warranty process I don't know why anyone would want to own an RV. FWIW I am well aware of the process, I have owned RV's for over 30 years, several have been purchased new. I learned early on the best thing I can do is to poke, prod, inspect and refuse to purchase any unit that is not acceptable to me. If something goes bad I will make a reasonable attempt to get it repaired under warranty, if the company gives me grief or is non-responsive I will repair it myself with a different product and share that information.

All RVs are built to a price point that will maximize profit for the manufacturer and the selling dealer. Warranties are written to protect the product manufacturer not the consumer. Some states have wised up to this and put extra protections in place many have not. There are quite a few component manufacturers that do provide excellent service, when I find one I am more than happy to let others know of their stellar service.

I don't have unreasonable expectations (at least I don't think I do) I expect a product to perform the job for which it was intended for a reasonable period of time. Unfortunately too many manufactures are using the general public as their beta testers and putting out shoddy items figuring that they will replace a fraction of them and push the rest off on unsuspecting people, then produce some new and improved product. This is nothing new, my dad worked for Hamilton Beach back in the 1950's and it was going on then too. They built mixers for HB, Sears, K-mart, etc. The ones for the discount stores were built using less expensive components and minimal QC. It continues today.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
I have a 2015 Crusader with a Norcold frig. The frig has a 2 year warranty. Now..granted, this is a small problem, but the interior light doesnt work. Not rocket science, but the problem is the optical circuit board. The service dealer manager agrees that that is the only possibility. So heres the deal. Norcold wont ship the part without the dealer filling out a diagnostic report. They wont do that without seeing the unit. So the deal is....bring the camper to the dealer (35mi), scheduling is 4 weeks out at this point....leave rv and drive home (35mi).. Tech fills out a form and sends it to Norcold.......Norcold hopefully ships the part....(lead time of 7-30 business days. Tech installs the part. Changing part is literally a 3 min job. 2 screws, pop out circuit board, unplug wiring harness.....reverse. So then 35mi back to dealer..then home. So, it costs me 140 miles of driving, 4 hours of time......and up to 4 weeks with the rv sitting at a dealership. Or.......I can spend $150 and BUY the board, and install it myself in 5 min. Its a shame they make things so difficult. Doesnt need to be that way. End of rant...Thanks for listening.

Lucky you to have 2 years warranty on Norcold frig mine stopped working after 13 months they said there was no warranty more than 12 months on cooling units...very cheap manufacturer
pallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If the dealer has already agreed this is the only possible cause of your problem, why won't they fill out a tech report and send it in so they can get you the part? Sounds like poor dealer service to me.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #24

Call a local mobile Rv repair person that does warranty work they will come to you. Usually they do all warranty contacts and will fix your issue 90% of the time much faster then your dealer. My dealer is over 50 miles upstate, but I have used a mobile repair tech for all warranty work and could not be happier.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Call a local mobile Rv repair person that does warranty work they will come to you. Usually they do all warranty contacts and will fix your issue 90% of the time much faster then your dealer. My dealer is over 50 miles upstate, but I have used a mobile repair tech for all warranty work and could not be happier.
Sounds good...but not so easy. Mobile RV guys must be very regional as a couple of folks have suggested that route. Unfortunately...there are no mobile RV techs colser than 40 mi. One trip to diagnose, back to shop, back to install, back to shop...4 hrs driving, 160miles.....no way is the tech gonna recoup this on a warranty claim.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote