Old 09-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Component warranties are a joke

I have a 2015 Crusader with a Norcold frig. The frig has a 2 year warranty. Now..granted, this is a small problem, but the interior light doesnt work. Not rocket science, but the problem is the optical circuit board. The service dealer manager agrees that that is the only possibility. So heres the deal. Norcold wont ship the part without the dealer filling out a diagnostic report. They wont do that without seeing the unit. So the deal is....bring the camper to the dealer (35mi), scheduling is 4 weeks out at this point....leave rv and drive home (35mi).. Tech fills out a form and sends it to Norcold.......Norcold hopefully ships the part....(lead time of 7-30 business days. Tech installs the part. Changing part is literally a 3 min job. 2 screws, pop out circuit board, unplug wiring harness.....reverse. So then 35mi back to dealer..then home. So, it costs me 140 miles of driving, 4 hours of time......and up to 4 weeks with the rv sitting at a dealership. Or.......I can spend $150 and BUY the board, and install it myself in 5 min. Its a shame they make things so difficult. Doesnt need to be that way. End of rant...Thanks for listening.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

Same with Lippert step motor. talked to Lippert, they know it is bad but it must be replaced by a service center (don't know why.) COuldn't wait, bought a motor and fixed it. Warranty visit scheduled. Do I take the new motor out and put the bad one back in or do I offer the tech a neat deal. Here is the bad motor, send it back, give me the new one and bill the time to Lippert.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Add WFCO to the list

Had a converter go bad, followed the warranty procedures, they kept insisting that it had to be done by an "authorized" dealer. I am better qualified than the techs at the closest "authorized" dealer. It would have taken over 8 weeks if I had gone that route. Pulled out the POS WFCO and replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics, less than 2 hours total labor (including the original trouble shooting) and $160 for the PD. Up yours WFCO!

BTW the "authorized" service center was quoting me 4 hours labor at $149 an hour. If the warranty was denied I would have been the hook for the entire amount! Approximately $750 for a $140 converter! I don't think so!

The RV industry has some serious issues that it needs to overcome, but as long as uninformed buyers keep throwing money at it the issues will continue.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

My MaxxAir fan had a noise when in low speed. I called MaxxAir and got forwarded to an engineer. After hearing my description of the symptoms he
agreed it was probably the motor. He shipped me a new motor right then.
No proof of ownership, and he knew it was 3+ years old. No need to send
back the old motor.

Our RV stove top was shedding paint from the underneath side. I called the manufacturer and they admitted they had a batch of tops that were over done
in the paint oven. At first they wanted to work thru a dealer but when I told them my dealer was many miles away and stressed the top was a user removable part and did not involve the LP system at all they agreed to ship a new one to me.

Have you tried calling the manufacturers and being nice but slightly forceful?
If the first person you speak to says no, ask for someone else.
Have you reached out to them on social media?
It's worth a shot!
Good luck!!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-36
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
Or.......I can spend $150 and BUY the board, and install it myself in 5 min. Its a shame they make things so difficult. Doesnt need to be that way. End of rant...Thanks for listening.
Have you checked to see if a dinosaur electronics board is made for your unit?
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

yes I have tried being nice...FR would do something like that, sent me a box of parts to fix my sewer connection when it was my fault...no charge.

Not so with customer support at Lippert, even when they know it was their problem after an extensive email conversation, pictures, etc. Probably depends on how they feel that day.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

The WFCO to Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard was one of my first 'mods' done on 'The Beast' within the first season of ownership. The damn converter fan sounded like a jet engine with a bad growl. While I was in the basement, I went for it and installed a hardwired 50amp PI surge protector.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
The WFCO to Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard was one of my first 'mods' done on 'The Beast' within the first season of ownership. The damn converter fan sounded like a jet engine with a bad growl. While I was in the basement, I went for it and installed a hardwired 50amp PI surge protector.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
It have the PD or a Boondocker Max on my upgrade list, just a few other things taking priority at the moment... like CAMPING!

I think the only reason that OEM use WFCO is the cheap price.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
RVdoctor

I feel everyone's pain. However, one can not perform warranty work on their new Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. It has to go to an authorized dealership for warranty work if you want it done at no cost.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #10

Atwood treated me well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

My MaxxAir fan had a noise when in low speed. I called MaxxAir and got forwarded to an engineer. After hearing my description of the symptoms he
agreed it was probably the motor. He shipped me a new motor right then.
No proof of ownership, and he knew it was 3+ years old. No need to send
back the old motor.

Our RV stove top was shedding paint from the underneath side. I called the manufacturer and they admitted they had a batch of tops that were over done
in the paint oven. At first they wanted to work thru a dealer but when I told them my dealer was many miles away and stressed the top was a user removable part and did not involve the LP system at all they agreed to ship a new one to me.

Have you tried calling the manufacturers and being nice but slightly forceful?
If the first person you speak to says no, ask for someone else.
Have you reached out to them on social media?
It's worth a shot!
Good luck!!
Similar experience with Atwood. They wanted me to use a service center but when trying to do that proved very inconvenient, they shipped parts to me.