Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Concerns with raising my Sierra Chassis 3 inches

As I have seen in other posts, I have a 2003 SVT260 FR Sierra. Chassis sits low enough to the ground that I have trouble empting the GR/BL tanks into my 30 Gal tote. The trailer has ALKO torsion Axle's (2). I am in the process of purchasing new 15inch tires and rims to replace the 14inch.
I would like to increase the chassis height another 3 inches by unbolting the Axles raising the frame off the axles, inserting a 3inch steel retangular tube spacer over the axles, bolting, dropping the frame back on the new lift and bolting the axles back on.

Concerns I have are to ensure the axles are bolted back in the same position on the frame, both axles square etc. Ensuring the new lift is sufficiently bolted to the frame and axle.

1. What other concerns am I missing? Center of gravity issues? etc.

2. Can anyone tell me what degree the spindles are in relation to the axle. I know very little about this area.

3. I want to replace the bearings, are there specific bearing kits or is it more of a diameter size thing?

Thanks for any help
jfpt89a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

From what I understand, the factory used to offer a lift kit which was basically the same thing you're planning on doing. You didn't mention but are you planning on adding additional cross bracing between the axle spacers also?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpt89a View Post
As I have seen in other posts, I have a 2003 SVT260 FR Sierra. Chassis sits low enough to the ground that I have trouble empting the GR/BL tanks into my 30 Gal tote. The trailer has ALKO torsion Axle's (2). I am in the process of purchasing new 15inch tires and rims to replace the 14inch.
I would like to increase the chassis height another 3 inches by unbolting the Axles raising the frame off the axles, inserting a 3inch steel retangular tube spacer over the axles, bolting, dropping the frame back on the new lift and bolting the axles back on.

Concerns I have are to ensure the axles are bolted back in the same position on the frame, both axles square etc. Ensuring the new lift is sufficiently bolted to the frame and axle.

1. What other concerns am I missing? Center of gravity issues? etc.

2. Can anyone tell me what degree the spindles are in relation to the axle. I know very little about this area.

3. I want to replace the bearings, are there specific bearing kits or is it more of a diameter size thing?

Thanks for any help
I dig a hole for my 25 gallon tote to empty it as my TT also sits low to the ground. Digging a shallow hole seems like a lot less work than raising the trailer.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I dig a hole for my 25 gallon tote to empty it as my TT also sits low to the ground. Digging a shallow hole seems like a lot less work than raising the trailer.
I bet your a big hit at Campgrounds that are (Blacktop or Cement)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I bet your a big hit at Campgrounds that are (Blacktop or Cement)! Youroo!!
We don't have them fancy "RV Parks" around these here parts.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Dave, With my dual axles, was planning on spaning one 4 foot 2 x 2 or 3 steel square tube across both axles which will sit on top of what is already there.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Note: above is for both sides