Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #11

I live with the same humidity next door to you the condensation is from two different temps the outside and the inside you can move air thru the coach with vent fans that will help but a dehumidifier with hose run thru your slide opening will do no need to drill hole no Rv is sealed that tight at slide you can get a hose thru any corner I would think

Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
I live in Mobile AL. When parked we run an Eva-Dry dehumidifier 24/7. Try cracking one or two windows when running the heat. You also may want to travel with an appropriately sized dehumidifier.

uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A properly operating furnace should not add any humidity. The moisture byproduct of combustion should be sent out the exhaust with the burned propane. The moisture is coming from your body food prep and any showering. The insulation in an RV is not like a home and the walls will get cold and condense the moisture in the area. You also need to check under the mattress. The moisture from your body will go thru the mattress and condense on the colder bed frame. You need to open one or two windows a crack. You can use an electric dehumidifier , but you need to be cautious of power limits. You can also add a fan or two to circulate the warm air and try to keep the walls warm.
x2 on Flybob's assessment and recommendations. Try to boil the pasta water outside, or go out to eat. Showers make lots of humidity, and hang the towel outside. Or use one of the small microfibers for the first shower dry off and finish with a regular towel. You can ring out the microfiber and the moisture goes down the drain. Pull the mattress a bit away from the outside wall at the pillows. There will be frost there when it is really cold.
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Dehumidifier Trial

Many dehumidifiers come with a short length of drain hose and while the long term fix may involve drilling a hole in the floor to let the water out a simple thing to see if the dehumidifier is going to work is just to place it over the tub or sink and let it drain away. We used a small piece of plywood to hold it over the tub, but what you can do varies from trailer to trailer. As far as the propane heater adding water to the air it shouldn't because as another said it is vented to the outside. The cook top and oven are of course a different story. Not sure why you have so much water, spent the entire winter in Indianapolis, IN and Reading, PA in an old Prowler TT without an issue. In Indiana I was total electric and in Pennsylvania I was all propane.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
I use a dehumidifier to lower the humidity and that has been enough for me.

Running the stove vent whenever cooking will help a lot and, additionally, run it from time-to-time to draw in cold air that, when heated, should lower the inside humidity but may require more use of the furnace. A simple humidistat will tell you how high the humidity is and allow you to compensate.

Breathing, showering and cooking are the big causes of indoor humidity--the furnace is not as no combustion gasses go inside the RV. In fact, a furnace will circulate the warm air better than an electric heater and help warm those cold corners where the water droplets are condensing.
2015 Wildcat 282 RKX
2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7 L. Diesel, 8 ft., SRW, Reese R20
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
JCH,,,,,I went to Target today because of the condensation in my cabinets where the ceiling meets the outer wall from the cold weather. I bought a couple Vornado Flippi's for $15 a piece. I put one in each cabinet where I was having a problem...leaving the doors open. Vloila.....the walls have dried out, and I'm quite happy how my experiment turned out.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
Make sure you cook with the stove vents open. That's a biggie. Shower with the vent open leave the fan running for a while when you finish. Crack a couple of Windows. Run the AC in the fan mode. We run a Eva-dry dehumidifier.

A properly operating furnace will not add moisture to the inside of your RV, no more than an electric heater will add humidity. It's the cold outside vs the warm inside that creates condensation.

Enjoy the camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins
We are running an eva-dry 2000 dehumidifier now. I had a larger regular compressor style and returned it (50lbs). It worked great but was heavy. I am not real impressed with the EvaDry. It works but it does not pull much moisture from the air. The old one pulled enough to actually lower the humidity, this one not so much.

I think I'll just locate a lighter compressor style dehumidifier and let that be.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Doc73,,,,if your condensation problem is only where the walls meet the ceilings in the the post from me two above your's. I'm tickled pink that my problem was solved so cheaply and quickly.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Also in South Carolina, running a dehumidifier and Damp Rid.
Damp Rid is nothing more than calcium chloride.Ordered a 50 pound bag of Safe Step Extreme 7300 Ice Melter, Calcium Chloride.It came out to .54 cents a pound compared to $1.60 for Damp Rid, crystals only.

lgray is offline   Reply With Quote