Old 11-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

Condensation EVERYWHERE! How to stop it?

This is the first Fall/Winter that I've had a camper and I'm running into a big issue. I have a travel trailer with 2 slideouts, and at night there is a large amount of water forming where the walls meet the ceiling all throughout the inside of the camper. I have went out and purchased Damp Rid bags and placed them around the camper. They are gathering a lot of water, but it's nowhere near enough. I've aired out the camper by opening all the windows and doors during warm days. I have to use a few paper towels to soak up all of the moisture that forms and doesn't get absorbed by the damp rid. Now mold has started to form in these areas. I thought about using a dehumidifier, but I'm not sure if that's going to work any better. I live in a humid climate in SC, so I'm not sure if that accounts for anything. I'm having to live temporarily in this camper, so the slides are both out, as well. Does anyone have any experience with what would be the best route to go here? Thanks for any assistance.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

If you are using the furnace to heat at night you will create a lot of moisture. Do you have an electric heater? If so, use that as much as possible.
We purchased a dehumidifier from Lowe's that will take a lot of water out of the air. I just empty the attached container, however, one member here has attached a hose and drilled a hole in the floor of one slide to continually empty the unit.
Open the upper cabinets along the walls as they will collect condensation also.
Don't let this problem continue or your camper will quickly become unusable.
Good luck solving your problem.
Travel safe

Old 11-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

crack a few windows, buy a dehumidifier, turn the heat down.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Had this issue occur in Feb. Best hing to do is not only using heater but using small electric heater and leave on constantly to remove the moisture. Thinking of getting a dehumidify unit also to help with the high humidity. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2122 View Post
This is the first Fall/Winter that I've had a camper and I'm running into a big issue. I have a travel trailer with 2 slideouts, and at night there is a large amount of water forming where the walls meet the ceiling all throughout the inside of the camper. I have went out and purchased Damp Rid bags and placed them around the camper. They are gathering a lot of water, but it's nowhere near enough. I've aired out the camper by opening all the windows and doors during warm days. I have to use a few paper towels to soak up all of the moisture that forms and doesn't get absorbed by the damp rid. Now mold has started to form in these areas. I thought about using a dehumidifier, but I'm not sure if that's going to work any better. I live in a humid climate in SC, so I'm not sure if that accounts for anything. I'm having to live temporarily in this camper, so the slides are both out, as well. Does anyone have any experience with what would be the best route to go here? Thanks for any assistance.

Ventilation w/ DH will cure it quickly, caused by breathing, cooking and showers. The humid air settles on cold Windows and surfaces cooled by exterior air. Ceiling fans remove warm air, choose something lower to allow dry air in/wet air out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

Like you I am in SC and fighting humidity. I purchased a 30 pint pet day dehumidifier. I am now able to maintain the humidity at 40-50%. I have to dump the water container daily approximately 1-2 quarts of water daily.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
Site Team

A properly operating furnace should not add any humidity. The moisture byproduct of combustion should be sent out the exhaust with the burned propane. The moisture is coming from your body food prep and any showering. The insulation in an RV is not like a home and the walls will get cold and condense the moisture in the area. You also need to check under the mattress. The moisture from your body will go thru the mattress and condense on the colder bed frame. You need to open one or two windows a crack. You can use an electric dehumidifier , but you need to be cautious of power limits. You can also add a fan or two to circulate the warm air and try to keep the walls warm.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG83K-...ging+unscented

Walmart or other stores near you may carry them.
Ventilation IS key.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #9

Most dehumidifiers have a hose outlet that you could run through the floor and onto the ground so you wouldn't need to empty the bucket.

If it doesn't have a hose you could drill a hole in the bottom edge of the bucket and use a John Guest fitting and tubing to run it out.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Just get a good dehumidifier.......one that gets rid of at least 2-3 quarts of water per day. We bought ours from Amazon and it was about 155.00 bucks......we have no more condensation here on the Oregon coast.