Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Crack in Fresh Water Tank

Help! We have about a 3" crack in our fresh water tank on our Flaggstaff TT. What is the best way to repair the crack?
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #2

Bad part is, if its on the bottom, the crack will actually try to expand when or if you add water to the tank because of the weight of the water. But, if its still a small hairline crack, try some MarineTex. Make sure everything is good and dry, then rough up the area around the crack with some 40 grit sand paper. Step out a decent ways from the crack, then mix the MarineTex and apply. MarineTex is slow drying but really stout. When its good and cured, I'd give the whole repair area a couple of coats of undercoating just for an extra step of help.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #3

pic would be nice. to see location and tank material. i pull the poly tanks and have them welded at a professional plastic welding shop. that is, fresh water tanks and most newer holding tanks. if the break was due to a faulty mount or install, i correct the condition that led to the break. abs tanks i just patch in place with fiberglass cloth and abs cement.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

If it is white polyethylene like most are no adhesive or patching compound will stick long term. The only reliable repair would be plastic welding where they melt similar material into the repair area. Make sure you drill a small hole at each end of the crack to prevent the crack from traveling.

IMO...This is an art form so not recommended for first time dyi-ers.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #5

West Marine has an epoxy compound that works with polyethylene. It is the only patch material that I've ever used that hangs on. I applied the epoxy to a crack after drilling a very small hole on each end, and then applied a flat patch [2" x 6"] over the crack with a heavy application of epoxy in between. The epoxy was red, the tank beige and it wasn't pretty, but it worked for two years till I sold the boat. To my knowledge, it is still not leaking or I'm sure the guy I sold it to would have told me by now. There aren't any other "glues" that I know of that work with polyethylene.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
15 -21FBRS 17-F150 2.7 e

Buy a new tank. Save yourself the headache of trying to permanently fix some thing with temporary fixing material.

2015 21fbrs
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0
J.Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
15 -21FBRS 17-F150 2.7 e

A 40 gal tank on E-bay is less than $100. With free shipping. You'll spend more than half that trying to patch it.

2015 21fbrs
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0
J.Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fallon View Post
Buy a new tank. Save yourself the headache of trying to permanently fix some thing with temporary fixing material.

2015 21fbrs
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0
I agree with J.Fallon. If you can get a replacement tank for $100, go for it and don't worry with the fix. Way less trouble and more peace of mind.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

Plast-aid is the stuff you need ! Google it. Really works well and is simple to use and you probably can find it locally.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank