Old 09-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Cracks in 2010 pop-up Top

I sure could use some advice.

I have a 2010 Flagstaff pop-up that I bought in December, and I paid $5000 because I thought it was nice and I did not want to hassle with an older unit. This was a major purchase for me. What a mess I am in now.

Now, a few months later, the roof is covered with hundreds of micro cracks and the foam has delaminated from the fiberglass and the fiberglass is wrinkled at the corners and is sagging leaving dips and waves on the roof top. What a mess.

I went to paint it with some Dicor Fiberglass roof coating and as I was rubbing it down I discovered that the cracks are holding water. So I will let it dry more.

Does anyone think these micro-cracks are able to leak water into the unit?

Does anyone think there is a better solution than Dicor paint? Can the whole thing be covered with a rubber roof?

Does anyone think large cracks will appear?

I wonder if anyone thinks denatured alcohol could replace Dircor Prep?

I am not the original owner, and was told a new top is $2000.
I sure could use some encouragement....

birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Oh boy you do have an issue. First off I'm sorry for the troubles. Buying a RV is supposed to be fun and you are not having any. Second my guess is with a 2010 second owner FR will not stand behind it. They have no idea what the first owner did with it to the roof. They are a good company.
Now the roof. Getting it dried out is the first major problem. I would get it in a garage and take the roof apart. If it's saturated that's the only way to get it dry. Once you see how it's made and get it dry I think putting a lasting roof would be easy. I have never done this but I wouldn't be afraid to try. 2000 is just to much to spend on it. Hopefully others will chime in with better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Hi Birdsong,

I am not sure what you can do to fix that. It is not a rubber roof so you can't just put a new skin on it.

When you priced the new top did the dealer suggest any options for you?

Hopefully people that know more on this will chime in.

Good luck,

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
As to will water enter micro cracks, the answer is absolutely. Remember water is Nature's best solvent. It softens and dissolves many materials wood being foremost on the list. For the remaining value of the camper I think you are on the right track, being a popup it will be easy to keep it touched up. You must keep it watertight or the next place you tow it to will be RV scrap yard. Good luck with it, keep up with seals also, you'll get many more years from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Team
some pics could help if you have them.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 5 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 86 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
My son had the same problem, he talk to a guy who sprays truck bed liner and he's has done many camper tops , I understands he removes the old and sprays the liner stuff with no problems he has about and 14 ft u it and he guy quote cost was around $850.00 just something to time about good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
George Creekmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
2010 Flagstaff roof leak cracks in fiberglass

I am the second owner of a 2010 Flagstaff Pop up Camper. The roof also developed these cracks. I am currently getting water inside the camper. I have just begun looking for repair options. Have you had any success with the repairs?

steve81 is offline   Reply With Quote