Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

De-winterizing

Headed south to SC next week and then on to Fl. We are stopping over SC for one night. I had planned to de-winterizing in Sc the first night. The weather forecast as of today has the low around freezing. Can I turn my arctic pack on even if I do not plan on using my on board fresh water tank? Also with temps around freezing should be using an heat traced city water supply line? Any suggestions would appreciated. First time out with my 2013 3170ds.
Klb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Your Arctic Pack likely only turns on the heating pads attached to the underside of the tanks. There should be water in the tanks before using them. No need otherwise. You can also pour a little rv antifreeze in the waste water tanks to prevent them from freezing. With lows only around 32 you probably won't have any issues anyway. I would just disconnect the fresh water hose overnight in your situation.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

If it's just going to 32 and relative light wind, no problem, your grey and blacks are not going to freeze as you already are winterized. Usually your freshwater tank is inboard, so no issue there. I assume your lines are winterized, so just use the standard de-winterize procedure when you arrive in SC and you're good to go. Try filling a couple/three gal containers with drinking, cooking water while in route, till you get to above 32 weather.Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When I left on a trip in Nov, it was down below freezing overnight. I had de-winterized the day before and turned on Artic Pac along with heat inside the coach for the overnight. If it had been in the teens I probably wouldn't have, but mid/upper 20's I felt safe. On the GTown, the Artic Pac also has heat wraps at the valves, others may as well.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize