Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Dead TT battery

Just got to a campground near Lake George NY and the tongue jack won't work and the slide won't extend. My battery appears to be completely dead. The jack can be manually operated so my question is, can I jump the battery from my truck to extend and retract the slide or would that do some kind of damage to the TT???
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Often times just plugging in the 7 pin connector into the tow vehicle will provide enough power to operate the slides and jacks.

Do you have the option of plugging into shore power?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Often times just plugging in the 7 pin connector into the tow vehicle will provide enough power to operate the slides and jacks.

Fo you have the option of plugging into shore power?

I've tried connecting to both and neither one will get the jack or the slide to operate?? The battery is not holding any charge at all, as soon as I disconnect from shore power everything goes completely dead???
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 06-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You may have popped a 12v circuit breaker for the slides. Have you checked any of them or the fuses?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You may have popped a 12v circuit breaker for the slides. Have you checked any of them or the fuses?

Fuse is ok but the weird thing is that the red light is not coming on when I pull it...??
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 06-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

My 831RLBSS does the same thing with a dead battery.

Shore power does nothing if the battery doesn't have at least some life in it.

Hooking up to the truck does nothing either, since my 2016 F150 will not put power to the pin unless you are in drive.

Swapped in a new TT battery and everything works as per normal.

Mine also has a manual crank for the slides for just such an occasion. Have a closer look at yours, there might be a manual option.

You can also use jumper cables from the truck battery to the TT battery in a pinch to get your slides open and your jacks down. Ive done the very same thing. Just make sure the truck is running just as it would be when jumping another car.

The other problem is with a dead battery you have no trailer break away brakes. Unlikely, but it the trailer comes loose on the highway it going to go until it hits something or flops over...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
My 831RLBSS does the same thing with a dead battery.

Shore power does nothing if the battery doesn't have at least some life in it.

Hooking up to the truck does nothing either, since my 2016 F150 will not put power to the pin unless you are in drive.

Swapped in a new TT battery and everything works as per normal.

Mine also has a manual crank for the slides for just such an occasion. Have a closer look at yours, there might be a manual option.

You can also use jumper cables from the truck battery to the TT battery in a pinch to get your slides open and your jacks down. Ive done the very same thing. Just make sure the truck is running just as it would be when jumping another car.

The other problem is with a dead battery you have no trailer break away brakes. Unlikely, but it the trailer comes loose on the highway it going to go until it hits something or flops over...

That's a good point about the breaks... I'll be a little extra careful on the way home... in the meantime I may try the jumper cable trick to get the slide out... thanks for confirming that!!
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

"Jumping" the TT with my TV worked! The slide is now out, hopefully it will work to get the slide in when we head for home on Sunday!

Thanks everyone!!
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Couple of ideas.
Did the battery allow the jack to work when you hooked up at home? If what 12V items did you have running on the trip that killed the battery? Did you accidentally pull the breakaway switch out when unhooking? That will kill the battery very quickly? If you can find an automotive battery charger, Disconnect neg terminal from TT and try charging battery with it.
There should be two high current fuses in the fuse/breaker panel. Remove them and check them. They are to protect against reverse polarity and will blow if the battery is deeply discharged and you connect to shore power ( Convertor powered).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Couple of ideas.
Did the battery allow the jack to work when you hooked up at home? If what 12V items did you have running on the trip that killed the battery? Did you accidentally pull the breakaway switch out when unhooking? That will kill the battery very quickly? If you can find an automotive battery charger, Disconnect neg terminal from TT and try charging battery with it.
There should be two high current fuses in the fuse/breaker panel. Remove them and check them. They are to protect against reverse polarity and will blow if the battery is deeply discharged and you connect to shore power ( Convertor powered).
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response.... The Jack did not work when I tried to hook up, I had to hand crank it (or at least my son did) I was hoping that it would charge up a bit on the drive up but the battery was too far gone. It didn't occur to me that the slide wouldn't work with such a dead battery. We've been having a lot of rain up here in the Northeast and it's been causing the GFI circuit that the camper is plugged into to trip and if I'm not paying attention the battery will drain. All Fuses looked good, I tested them and got good continuity. I was able to "jump" the TT battery with my TV to extend and retract my slide. I replaced the battery with a spare that I had and the jack and slide now seem to be working OK. I just need to be more diligent about making sure that the GFI doesn't trip again.
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Thanks for reporting back.
It helps us understand and often closes the book on an open ended story.

Tags
battery