Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
AKA Indiana Jones
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

NEVER buy a house battery that lists CCA or RCA numbers. They are STARTING batteries and not very good for camping at worst or "Dual Purpose" batteries that SUCK at both jobs.
Just an FYI, somewhere along the line the Feds made it a rule that virtually all batteries had to list CCA for comparison. RCA is a good number to know, it lets you know how long a battery will last under a predetermined load. Ah (amp hours) is a better gauge, but most batteries don't show that.

tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
A quick look at several battery web sites leads me to believe that only their "Dual Purpose" Marine and RV batteries list CCA. They have plates thin enough to supply cranking amps suitable for starting the boat or truck engine, but thick enough to have "some" staying power to run 12 appliances in the boat or camper.

Deep Cycle Only batteries list AH numbers and do not list CCA since by design they have very thick plates and can not provide the hundreds of amps needed to spin an internal combustion engine in a few minutes.

Dual Purpose batteries typically have DP in their model number and DC for Deep Cycle, but there is no agreed upon convention that makes that universal.
Trojan is a good example of one that does not list that way.

Could you link that Fed requirement? I tried to look for it and was not successful.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
thanks for the opinions guys. i have yet to make it back to the dealer yet because it is about 90 miles away. im still not sure what to do about the batteries.

i do plan on using the batteries fairly heavy. about 50% of my camping is primitive, and i also have a lot of "accessories" i run. the main accessory being my "jukebox" which consists of an aftermarket head unit, 850 watt amp, 400 watt amp, and of course a half dozen speakers. i dont run this for hours and hours every day, but if we are out in the boonies camping with young and like to party to some good sounding tunes .

i had two 12v deep cycle john deere batteries in my last camper (iv heard exide makes them), and they worked just fine most of the time.

my ideal setup would be 2 batteries i can dedicate to my accessories (stereo, power inverter, etc...) and then a 3rd for my primary battery. i would utilize a battery isolator so all 3 batteries would charge off the converter, but two would be isolated. that way i would not run my primary dead when i leave the jukebox playing until 4am lol.

i am just kind of dreaming not sure how hard it is to utilize an isolator. nor am i sure i want to buy 3 batteries. i have the room for them in the stock battery area in my rig, i would just obviously have to make some more cables and what not...

2006 Cherokee Wolfpack 295WP - 2 Interstate U2200 6v, 1500w inverter, clear lens LED clearance and tails, Starlight Revolution 300 lumen LEDs EVERYWHERE!

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote