Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Decal Peeling Off

I live in Florida, spend a lot of time in the Carolina Mountains, but still the decals have started to peel off.

Any suggestion about where or what to use for replacement? Best way to remove the residue?




Thanks
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal Pealing off.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	2843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Panel.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2844   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010658.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alongtheside.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2846  
__________________

__________________
Captbob8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 65
If it some normal sort of glue, I use a product called "Goo Gone" which seems to work pretty well...no idea what to replace it with though...
__________________

__________________
masonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
milzat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 1,927
Captain,

I'm in the process of replacing the full set of decals on my Rockwood.

To remove the decals, I peel off as much as I can with my fingers.
The stubborn areas are removed using a razor blade(the kind that fits into a scraper handle. these are one sided edged razors).
Care must be taken not to scratch the Fiberglas.
To remove the old glue, I fill a spray bottle with Lacquer thinner. It dries fast.
Spray a small amount of the Lacquer thinner over the glue and wipe off with industrial paper towels before it dries. This is no hurry-up process. It takes time.

I ordered replacement decals from the factory. My trailer is a '06, but I upgraded the decals to the late 2009/early 2010 stripping.

I'd like to know how many times I've posted the sentence below.

Call Cindy, at 574-642-2640 , in the Rockwood/Flagstaff parts dept. She's very helpful; and busy also. You may have to leave a message. She WILL return your call. She'll need you VIN number, so have it ready when calling.
__________________
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Captain,

I'm in the process of replacing the full set of decals on my Rockwood.

To remove the decals, I peel off as much as I can with my fingers.
The stubborn areas are removed using a razor blade(the kind that fits into a scraper handle. these are one sided edged razors).
Care must be taken not to scratch the Fiberglas.
To remove the old glue, I fill a spray bottle with Lacquer thinner. It dries fast.
Spray a small amount of the Lacquer thinner over the glue and wipe off with industrial paper towels before it dries. This is no hurry-up process. It takes time.

I ordered replacement decals from the factory. My trailer is a '06, but I upgraded the decals to the late 2009/early 2010 stripping.

I'd like to know how many times I've posted the sentence below.

Call Cindy, at 574-642-2640 , in the Rockwood/Flagstaff parts dept. She's very helpful; and busy also. You may have to leave a message. She WILL return your call. She'll need you VIN number, so have it ready when calling.
Thanky you Mike, I was concerned they were decals and would require heat to remove.
Bob
__________________
Captbob8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
milzat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captbob8 View Post
Thanky you Mike, I was concerned they were decals and would require heat to remove.
Bob
I tries a heat gun, but it just made things worst.
It will take a while to remove the decals(stripping). I took my time with the razor not to scratch the sidewalls. I can't tell you how many beers it took. I've got the decals removed on the curb side only and I'm in the process of compounding the complete sidewall before appying the new stripping. We've made 2 camping trips with it looking this way and my son made a remark saying it looks like a FEMA trailer.
__________________
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
stepside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
curious to kno, whats an idea of cost for the factory graphics? I have an '07 Cherokee 23DD that the wolf decal on the front is shrinking and peeling... Curious on a ballpark for this decal...

do you have an email for Cindy?
__________________
stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
milzat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside View Post
curious to kno, whats an idea of cost for the factory graphics? I have an '07 Cherokee 23DD that the wolf decal on the front is shrinking and peeling... Curious on a ballpark for this decal...

do you have an email for Cindy?
Cindy works for the Rockwood & Flagstaff department. She may know who to contact for parts for your Cherokee.
cdahm@forestriverinc.com
__________________
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Captain,

I'm in the process of replacing the full set of decals on my Rockwood.

To remove the decals, I peel off as much as I can with my fingers.
The stubborn areas are removed using a razor blade(the kind that fits into a scraper handle. these are one sided edged razors).
Care must be taken not to scratch the Fiberglas.
To remove the old glue, I fill a spray bottle with Lacquer thinner. It dries fast.
Spray a small amount of the Lacquer thinner over the glue and wipe off with industrial paper towels before it dries. This is no hurry-up process. It takes time.

I ordered replacement decals from the factory. My trailer is a '06, but I upgraded the decals to the late 2009/early 2010 stripping.

I'd like to know how many times I've posted the sentence below.

Call Cindy, at 574-642-2640 , in the Rockwood/Flagstaff parts dept. She's very helpful; and busy also. You may have to leave a message. She WILL return your call. She'll need you VIN number, so have it ready when calling.

The decals on my 04 are doing the same thing. The parts lady at Forest River (Sandpiper division) quoted me almost $1100.00 for replacements due to having to be hand cut. She did say to do the same as you, find a current model and get the serial number and that the decals would be much cheaper. I'm just curious if you don't mind, what did you end up paying for your replacements?
__________________
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
milzat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 1,927
On my 2006 fifth wheel, the full set, both sides, were $211.
I actually ordered the 2010 year model decals because I liked those better.
__________________
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Member
 
chickadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 40
Send a message via Yahoo to chickadee
When the decals were coming off our Rockwood, Forest River replaced them and paid to have the applied. Said since we were the orginial owners they would cover it.
__________________

__________________
Hubby & Me
One Spoiled Maltese (Puddles)

03 Ford F-250 Super Duty Super Cab SB 4 x 4
09 Cardinal 5th Wheel 3100 RK
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
decal, remove decals, replacement decals

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Forest River RV News right to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Forest River news to your inbox

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]