Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Deep well thin wall socket

Need a 3/8 drive 7/8 socket, thin wall deep well..can't find one. Any ideas
Rhymaunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Google, "7/8 thin wall 3/8 drive socket". May be impact or not shows up.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Home depot has kit with rubber outer cover to protect wheel. That's 1/2" drive easier to find adapter for 3/8".

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymaunb View Post
Mac Tool or Snap-On will have one but you also need to know what Point also "6 or 12"! Youroo!!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

HD has a 6 point "SKU# 631610"! Youroo!!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Harbor Freight
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Failure is my business

I needed a thin wall 16mm to remove the plugs from my old BMW. I chucked a standard deep socket in my drill and ran it against my angle grinder until it fit.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymaunb View Post
Sockets that size are usually 1/2" drive, just get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. Find 'em on Amazon in a 3 piece set of impact adapters.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
I needed a thin wall 16mm to remove the plugs from my old BMW. I chucked a standard deep socket in my drill and ran it against my angle grinder until it fit.
I would have done the same before I got my metal lathe. I would have gotten a standard impact socket.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would have done the same before I got my metal lathe. I would have gotten a standard impact socket.
Just a word of caution, in my day job we work with bolts, and I'm an engineer that does NOTHING but bolting. We make and sell and support HUGE torque tools capable of up to 130,000 ft lbs.

That being said, turning down sockets is EXTREMELY dangerous. Even a small one can shatter, and when that happens the pieces will literally go through safety glasses. (I've seen it multiple times in industry. It happens a LOT)

There is a reason impact sockets are thick, and I would STRONGLY caution against using a regular socket on an impact. You'll get away with it most of the time, but that one time...

Also, you should NEVER use impacts to tighten lug nuts, ever. They are the number 1 cause of wheels falling off. We've done multiple studies, and 87 percent of wheel of incidents were OVER TIGHTENED lug nuts, not under tightened. I could get into bolting science but I've already bored you all to death as it is.
roadtriprvrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtriprvrental View Post
Just a word of caution, in my day job we work with bolts, and I'm an engineer that does NOTHING but bolting. We make and sell and support HUGE torque tools capable of up to 130,000 ft lbs.

That being said, turning down sockets is EXTREMELY dangerous. Even a small one can shatter, and when that happens the pieces will literally go through safety glasses. (I've seen it multiple times in industry. It happens a LOT)

There is a reason impact sockets are thick, and I would STRONGLY caution against using a regular socket on an impact. You'll get away with it most of the time, but that one time...

Also, you should NEVER use impacts to tighten lug nuts, ever. They are the number 1 cause of wheels falling off. We've done multiple studies, and 87 percent of wheel of incidents were OVER TIGHTENED lug nuts, not under tightened. I could get into bolting science but I've already bored you all to death as it is.
Not to put you down the bolt rabbit hole.. But out of curiosity, why do the over tightened bolts loosen? Stretched studs?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

I was a heavy line mechanic at Ford dealerships for 36 years. Sears Craftmans makes a decent thin wall chrome socket.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Not to put you down the bolt rabbit hole.. But out of curiosity, why do the over tightened bolts loosen? Stretched studs?
NOW you opened a can of worms.

Basically, a bolt is nothing other than a stiff spring. As long as you don't hit it's yield point, it will always stretch and then relax back to it's original length. It stays in it's elastic region. Most stud torque specs for LUGS are unlubed, and are targeting 60-70% of yield. So what happens if someone goes to 110-120%? Well, it goes into the plastic region, meaning it's actually STRONGER, but only ONCE. Then, when you remove those lugs, they don't relax back to it's original length, which means it's elastic range is now LOWER.

Then, next time you tighten them, EVEN IF you tighten them with a torque wrench, you may over tighten the bolts again, going beyond their Ultimate Tensile Strength. It's like overstretching a spring. It won't spring back, so it will not hold tight. On a properly tightened bolt, the stud only sees about 8% sheer loading on a wheel. That's great, cause bolts are MUCH stronger in tension than they are in shear. BUT, not that it's not in it's elastic range, it can see upwards of 90% shear!!! And it can't handle that, so they shear off and you're on the side of the road wondering how did this happen???

It's not super intuitive, but most small bolt loosening failures are caused by OVER tightening, NOT undertightening. Crazy, huh?

I told you it was a can of worms.
roadtriprvrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtriprvrental View Post

I never use a standard or modified socket on an impact. I use a thin wall socket and a torque wrench on lug nuts/studs.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

Ran into a similar problem with my Rockwood. Why manufacturers feel the need to provide these campers with wheels that require "specialty" sockets is beyond me... but, I ended up finding the think wall socket that would work of Amazon.com. Word of caution though, some "thin wall" sockets (typically have some fancy anodized aluminum coloring to them) also have a nylon bushing around the socket designed to protect the wheel around it from damage. This is more than likely NOT the type of socket that you want. This style, although "thin walled" when coupled with the nylon bushing ends up being very close the the same outer diameter as a standard socket. You can either buy this style, and strip off the nylon coating, or purchase a true thin wall socket.

As roadtriprvrental said, be careful using the impact on your lug nuts... best bet is to buy a torque stick from Sears, keep it on your rig, and torque down the lug nuts to manufacturers spec. (usually 120ft lbs for 15/16" trailer rim.) I usually do a check before every trip, I have found on several occasions after a few trips on New England roads; the potholes have a great way of loosening the lugs up.

'18 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8299BS
'14 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL (SOLD)
Tow Rig: 2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L Diesel
CodyPereira is offline   Reply With Quote