Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM   #1

Dehumidifiers

OK, so I've been looking at the great reviews on the dri-z-air and Eva-dri dehumidifiers and need something, or want something, like that. My question is what keeps the moisture collected in these units from freezing when they are used in a unit stored in a location with no heat. While I'm at it I should ask what size or how many to get for a 30' TT and how often said units need emptied ? Thanks in advance.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Caveman239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

We just put two 4lb containers of damp rid in our unit (31ft). Never gave any thought to the below freezing temps, we did put them in the sink though so if there is a problem at least it will be contained. I will give it a couple of weeks, see if it seems like they are working and post my thoughts on it.
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

We have been camping since 2000 had 3 campers and live in the North/East and we never had a problem with condensate freezing in the camper.
In the winter the lower the temp gets the lower the humidity.
As long as the temps are the same in side of the camper as it is on the out side there should not be any problems.
If you place a heater in the camper and raise the temp you will start building humidity, then if you loose power or the heater stops working then the condensate could freeze.
If it rains or snows the humidity will go up out side but the effects are minimal in side of the camper.....if you feel better adding something for this issue then that is ok too.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

Dehumidifiers work like Airconditioners, and are ineffective at temps below 50 or so degrees. Eva Dri works a little differently, but are still ineffective at low temps.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #5

I use two Dri-Z-Air units in my 30' MH. We live in Vancouver BC, so really cold temps are not an issue, but dampness is (It rains a! lot in the winter). I don't know what temperature the liquid would freeze at, but I gather it is corrosive (don't really know for sure, though). I have never heard of it freezing. I dump it outside just to be safe. I tend to check on the Motorhome every couple of weeks, and there is always water to be emptied (it could go longer)

Sent from my ME173X using Forest River Forums mobile app
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote