Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #1

Smile Diagram (s)

Hi, I have an 2008 Georgetown 378TSF and I would very much like to get the
coaches plumbing & wiring diagrams. I have already added a light switch to the toilet area and would like to know how the pluming is set up so I can move the hot water by pass to a more convenient location.
I already contacted Forest River to no avail. I f anyone knows how to get these diagrams or knows how to redo the by pass on the water heater please
let me know.
Thank You
Joe ( In New Jersey )
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

I too have an '09 378TS and have been learning a lot about where wiring and plumbing is run just by crawling around under and through it as I just added a solar charging system and inverter to it. I don't think you are likely to get any diagrams out of FR. As for the water heater bypass, I have had them on several rigs and found them to be of no use at all. I don't winterize by using antifreeze as it is just too much of a pain to use. I have always used compressed air to blow the lines using the city water inlet fittng. The water heater can be drained by pulling the plug. Easy; and you don't have to flush the sytem of the awful pink stuff each spring to use your rig again.

My next addition will be to tie into the switch on the screen door for the step to activate the courtesy lights inside the rig at night when you come "home". I figure a time delay relay to keep the lights on for 30 seconds or so after you close the door would work nicely too.

Off to the drawing board....
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #3

where is the water heater and the drain plug located? thanks dixie.
landofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #4

Hey NWJeeper,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how was it to add the solar? I was thinking of doing that as another mod next year.

Tim

2008 Ram MegaCab Hemi
Reese Dual-Cam WD Hitch
2009 Surveyor 304
flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaggie View Post
Hey NWJeeper,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how was it to add the solar? I was thinking of doing that as another mod next year.

Tim
Not all that bad. Like most projects it is about taking the time to set up properly and plan like crazy before you start. Depending on what you plan to do (solar only, solar and an inverter) you need to really plan well. Inverters should be within about 5' of the batteries. Open compartments inside and outside your rig and plan wiring runs. Hardest part for me was where to put the control panel for the solar charge controller and the inverter. I wanted it on the same wall with the command panel with all the slide switches and such. That little wall proved to be completely accessible from behind or underneath so I had to get creative to do what I wanted. Wires for the solar panels were routed down the refrigerator vent to get them to the charge controller which was mounted in a storage compartment close to the batteries. Got the best price I could find on my system here:

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar...it.info.1.html

In fact their current price is still very close if not cheaper than what I paid 6 months ago. If you get ready to do it and have questions I will be glad to send pictures and help any way I can....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

I've never found any diagrams.. My guess is that every unit a little different and a set of "master diagrams" for our specific coaches probably doesn't exist. If it's not different leaving the factory, I can almost guarantee it would be different by the time the dealer adds some options.

I'm an engineer by trade, so there is some element of thrill in tracing a wire or tube. One trick I've used for some projects is to download the installation instructions for an appliance or component and trace from that component backwards.

While installing my Unified Tow Brake, I got curious regarding some RCA jacks hanging behind the dash and (with some help from ronhansen) downloaded the manual for my in dash stereo. Tomorrow I'll be wiring in a cable to run an iPOD via the stereo's AUX 1 input. My wife can DJ from her iPhone while I lay down the miles.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #7

Not my intent to bash FR, or post off topic, but.... ; )

I've been looking/researching a Forester Class C for quite a while. I mostly had my mind made up, then by chance looked at a Winnebago with a similar floorplan. I have to say that in my opinion, the W was a step up in quality (but, also a small step up in price).

<Now back on topic>

So I visited their website, and surprise! - found complete wiring, plumbing, and electrical diagrams for current and past models, going back quite a few years! That info is GOLD to me! It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult for FR or other companies to provide that information, as it had to exist somewhere, when building the unit.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but small things like that, are great selling points for a major investment like a MH!

Just my .02, in case FR is listening...
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #8

When I was tracking down my partially wired Arctic Pac, Mike Burns at Forest River flat out told me they dont have master wiring diagrams. Even the wiring bundles vary depending on availablility so wiring color is not common throughout the model year. This isnt surprising when they're trying to keep the cost down.

As Yesman has noted, quality of Forest River products is lower than other brands, but the value is hard to beat. You get a lot of features of the more expansive brands without paying for them, but you suffer in the quality deparment. For me, I counted on fixing most of those annoying little problems myself without hauling it to the dealer so it didnt bother me.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #9

I haven't had the rig back to the dealer yet, but I'm pretty handy. I went to the Winnebago site and pulled up some diagrams, impressive stuff.

I had a set budget for my RV and FR maxed out the features and size for the money, but if you've got the cash there are plenty of other brands that are higher quality.

I also bought into FR since they are owned by Warren Buffet. Seems like he has enough $$ to make it through the economic issues which could take years to fully sort out.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMan View Post
Not my intent to bash FR, or post off topic, but.... ; )

I've been looking/researching a Forester Class C for quite a while. I mostly had my mind made up, then by chance looked at a Winnebago with a similar floorplan. I have to say that in my opinion, the W was a step up in quality (but, also a small step up in price).

<Now back on topic>

So I visited their website, and surprise! - found complete wiring, plumbing, and electrical diagrams for current and past models, going back quite a few years! That info is GOLD to me! It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult for FR or other companies to provide that information, as it had to exist somewhere, when building the unit.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but small things like that, are great selling points for a major investment like a MH!

Just my .02, in case FR is listening...
Having had direct experience with two Winnebago RVs (class C and A owned by my dad), two Fleetwood RVs one owned by my dad (class C) and one was mine (Class A, Flair) and now the Forest River Georgetown and having spent lots of time crawling all around them, running wiring, fixing appliances, crawling into cabinets and storage areas I can tell you the Forest River is built just like all the rest when you really get down to brass tacks. Basic construction of the structure of all these rigs are the same, so are the cabinets and the installation of accessories. So far I have been very impressed with what I have seen under and around the Georgetown while I have been installing the inverter, solar panels, air horns, adding extra batteries etc.

Winnebago had a time when they built nothing but crap, so did Fleetwood but in searching the net you will find much fewer complaints about FR than many of the others out there, perhaps this could be chocked up to number sold but speaking from experience here you can't judge the build quality of a manufacturer by merely walking through a rig, you have to get down and dirty under and through them. I have heard absolute horror stories from owners of some of those much pricier rigs too.

Bottom line, FR had the floorplan that we liked for about $40K less than Winnebago and that's a lot of gas money for a rig whos construction is the same.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Having had direct experience with two Winnebago RVs (class C and A owned by my dad), two Fleetwood RVs one owned by my dad (class C) and one was mine (Class A, Flair) and now the Forest River Georgetown and having spent lots of time crawling all around them, running wiring, fixing appliances, crawling into cabinets and storage areas I can tell you the Forest River is built just like all the rest when you really get down to brass tacks. Basic construction of the structure of all these rigs are the same, so are the cabinets and the installation of accessories. So far I have been very impressed with what I have seen under and around the Georgetown while I have been installing the inverter, solar panels, air horns, adding extra batteries etc.

Winnebago had a time when they built nothing but crap, so did Fleetwood but in searching the net you will find much fewer complaints about FR than many of the others out there, perhaps this could be chocked up to number sold but speaking from experience here you can't judge the build quality of a manufacturer by merely walking through a rig, you have to get down and dirty under and through them. I have heard absolute horror stories from owners of some of those much pricier rigs too.

Bottom line, FR had the floorplan that we liked for about $40K less than Winnebago and that's a lot of gas money for a rig whos construction is the same.
Have to agree with NWJeeper. Winnebago is the Kleenex, Xerox of the RV Industry. Recognizable name but not giving anything more than the other guys other than their storage areas sliding out with the slideout. Basically they're adding costs for reputation which is just more recognized by the general public. We have the bath and a half 370 Georgetown, Fleetwood's Pace Arrow had a similar layout but a sliding door that went to the bath area. I closed this door and it just swung on the rollers, nothing that actually held it in place. That unit was more than $45K more than our unit.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #12

Thanks NWJeeper....I definitely may take you up on that help when I get to that project.

Tim

2008 Ram MegaCab Hemi
Reese Dual-Cam WD Hitch
2009 Surveyor 304
flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #13

Don't forget that a lot of the construction / materials decisions are made for weight reasons. You say "cheap" and "flimsy", a RV designer says "works well when used 10 weeks a year" and is "light".

I would rather fix/re-enforce a few things that my family is hard on vs. a rig that's overweight before I even climb on board.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #14

I am about to buy a Georgetown 357QS & am absolutely new (haven't even owned a tent). What advice would you offer me?
Shaker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
I am about to buy a Georgetown 357QS & am absolutely new (haven't even owned a tent). What advice would you offer me?
Read everything you can find regarding RVs (and of course read ALL of your manuals) and prepare to !!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #16

Thanks, Tulsa if there is anything you think a newby like me needs to know please send along.
Shaker11 is offline   Reply With Quote