Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Diagram vs Blue Print

I often see post on here of people wanting a diagram. While they are handy, and quite useful, one thing I would like to point out. If you are looking for a fuse box, or a wall stud, or a plumbing line, a diagram is useless. A blueprint is what you really want, because it has dimensions, construction, and physical locations. A diagram will show a fuse box, but never show you where it is. A blueprint on the other hand will give a physical location. As some have contacted the factory and asked for some things, it might help to ask for a blueprint, instead of a diagram. Might get a better response because they build them off of blueprints. No I have not tried this, merely thinking out loud.

Sorry, just me being picky, but sometimes one word does make a difference.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Anacortesians

There haven't been real "blueprints" since the 1960s. The term referred to drawings printed on an ammonia-diazo machine where the background of the drawing was blue and the lines and lettering were in white. About 1962 or so, the process changed to give dark blue lines and lettering on almost white paper. The term really only referred to the type of print, not to its subject matter.

"Diagrams" or "Schematics are line representations of how things are connected and do not show any installation details. With CAD, "Installation" and "Assembly" drawings are computer printouts on large-size paper. What you might want to request are "service manuals", which show where stuff is located and how the hook-ups appear to an observer.

With the hand-to-mouth, make it u as you go along way RV's seem to be built, I honestly doubt is there are such things as service manuals for the overall vehicle.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There may be "shop drawings" but from my limited experience the assemblers don't use them. The holes in the campers are cut "by eye" and a prayer and the sins are covered with caulk and trim.

Wires are "home run" from the same spool (of hopefully the correct gauge) with the same colors used through out the camper.

In the attached photo you can see a yellow and green colored "twin" wire. The same wire type was used to run to the slide motors, the rear stabilizers, and the tank heaters for sure and may have been used elsewhere that I have not found yet. I have NO idea which is "positive" and "negative" or even if they used the same color to denote it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 013.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	8238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 018.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	8239  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote