Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Early March hey ???
Sounds like big trouble to me !!!
If I lived in Michigan I would say no to, last I looked your about 800 miles or so farther north then me , it probably still snowing by you, by me it's 70 night time lows are 40's already. Where the OP lives it almost the same, that who asked the question, plus what people are forgetting a low is coming through only dropping the temp to 32 to high 20s for a few hours, the OP will not freeze. This is not a prolonged deep freeze he asked about. I have camped in that weather, did no more then bring my hose in, still no broken pipes.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarycampers View Post
Drain everything, blow out all the lines with air, open every tap and you might be O.K. without winterizing again.

If you are unsure, winterize. It is cheaper then a blown water line or pump.
and when you are blowing them out, do not forget the outside shower!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #23
RCW

I must be missing something. Some people on here act like winterizing with the pink is a major task! It has never taken me more than a 1/2 hr to do any of our RV's and the antifreeze is pretty cheep compared to the damage that can be done! Weather changes. Forecasters are wrong about as much as they are right. The peace of mind is invaluable to me.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I must be missing something. Some people on here act like winterizing with the pink is a major task! It has never taken me more than a 1/2 hr to do any of our RV's and the antifreeze is pretty cheep compared to the damage that can be done! Weather changes. Forecasters are wrong about as much as they are right. The peace of mind is invaluable to me.

I think you take for granted being mechanically inclined. I know people that struggle to hammer in a nail, let alone changing the oil on a car.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

I would not run my tank heaters without any water in them.

While there is a thermostat to modulate the pads on and off to maintain a safe range, they are not infallible. If they arc "on" they can melt an empty tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 006.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	168569  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf UltraHeat Tank Heater.pdf (349.6 KB, 14 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
If I lived in Michigan I would say no to, last I looked your about 800 miles or so farther north then me , it probably still snowing by you, by me it's 70 night time lows are 40's already. Where the OP lives it almost the same, that who asked the question, plus what people are forgetting a low is coming through only dropping the temp to 32 to high 20s for a few hours, the OP will not freeze. This is not a prolonged deep freeze he asked about. I have camped in that weather, did no more then bring my hose in, still no broken pipes.
I believe the member I was replying to was from ohio,,, maybe southern ???
This has not been a normal spring most anywhere,,, it has snowed here for 2 days !!! The weather sure did not look very nice in Bristol this weekend !!!
80 on Friday and freezing over the weekend !!!
Around here I would never dream of de-winterizing early March !!!
I see no reason to de-winterize unless you are going to use your RV !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #27

I just did the same thing. I live in Northern VA and we have a trip planned at the end of April so this past weekend after getting days of 80 degree weather we started getting the camper ready and i went ahead and de-winterized, And this week we are having 2 nights get below freezing. All I did was drain the outside kitchen lines and poor antifreeze in drain and before going to bed the nights its freezing turn the furnace on 45 to keep heat in camper and underbelly, and turn it off in the morning when the sun was up. I think it would have been alright even without the heat as the water on the driveway didn't freeze but I'd rather be safe.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #28

We are supposed to get to 60 in the next 3 orm 4 days,,, warmest weather we have had since the middle of October !!! Broken or not,,, my fat a## is going out doors and going to try to get somethings done !!! My want to do list is longer than my arm !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize