Old 04-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

Did I de winterize too early

We had a nice couple warm days recently (hello and good bye to spring right) and we're going out for our first trip in our new TT in a week and a half and looking at the forecast we were only supposed to get down to the mid to high 30's for lows and only a few hours of those temps over nights. The latest forecast now says several nights dipping down into the high 20's to low 30's for several hours. I have a good heater running in there that has kept the inside temp around 55-63. Will it be ok or should I fire up the furnace. It also has tank heaters on all 4 holding tanks but all were emptied after flushing it out. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Drain everything, blow out all the lines with air, open every tap and you might be O.K. without winterizing again.

If you are unsure, winterize. It is cheaper then a blown water line or pump.

calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #3

I don't worry until it gets to -5C here in Canada, even if I have drained and blown the lines. You may also want to open up all the cupboard doors under any sink, even if you have heat running.
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

You will be fine, if it makes you sleep better set your stat to 50 degrees and burn some propane, I normally don't even winterize here in SW Virginia, never had a problem. It has to be below 32 for at least 12 hrs, to 24 hrs before anything will freeze.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Rollin' With The Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
You will be fine, if it makes you sleep better set your stat to 50 degrees and burn some propane, I normally don't even winterize here in SW Virginia, never had a problem.

It has to be below 32 for at least 12 hrs, to 24 hrs before anything will freeze.
That last line is not necessarily true.

When it comes to freeze ups...you can never be too careful!

The outside city water connection can freeze up in about 20 minutes at 32 degrees.

Now, he will probably be OK as long as he keeps the heat on, but outside showers will freeze up quickly, and depending on the underbelly of his trailer, he could have some freeze ups after about five hours.

I would turn the furnace up to at least 65 degrees, and also turn on all of the lights in the cubby holes (basement if a 5'ver) to help generate heat (unless they are LED's).

And also disconnect the city water line if it is hooked up and use the fresh water tank if you are using the RV.

This coming from someone who just survived his first winter of full-timing in Denver, Colorado and lived through several freeze ups and some plumbing replacements due to the freeze ups.
Took the 3:10 to Yuma...(Arizona)

"I toined left at Alba-koi-kee!"
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
That last line is not necessarily true.

When it comes to freeze ups...you can never be too careful!

The outside city water connection can freeze up in about 20 minutes at 32 degrees.

Now, he will probably be OK as long as he keeps the heat on, but outside showers will freeze up quickly, and depending on the underbelly of his trailer, he could have some freeze ups after about five hours.

I would turn the furnace up to at least 65 degrees, and also turn on all of the lights in the cubby holes (basement if a 5'ver) to help generate heat (unless they are LED's).

And also disconnect the city water line if it is hooked up and use the fresh water tank if you are using the RV.

This coming from someone who just survived his first winter of full-timing in Denver, Colorado and lived through several freeze ups and some plumbing replacements due to the freeze ups.
Your probably right, but he said low 30 to high 20's , don't freak the guy out. We are not talking teens for any long period of time,

Old 04-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
Rollin' With The Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Your probably right, but he said low 30 to high 20's , don't freak the guy out. We are not talking teens for any long period of time,
I'm talking 25 to 32 degrees...

It happened to me, so yes...it can happen!

I'm not trying to freak him out...I'm talking reality, not fiction!
Took the 3:10 to Yuma...(Arizona)

"I toined left at Alba-koi-kee!"
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm talking 25 to 32 degrees...

It happened to me, so yes...it can happen!

I'm not trying to freak him out...I'm talking reality, not fiction!
Yes your right, but a few hours of below temp will not freeze his system up. That is all he is talking about, not days.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #9

We are having the same temps here in Missouri. We just bought ours, and my dealership thought it was a good idea to dewinterize it before we left...without asking. I put one of the oil space heaters on high in our camper. Just enough to keep it from a hard freeze. We are getting maybe an hour or two below freezing a night (about once a week). It takes more than that to get a hard freeze, and Id probably be fine without a space heater, but Id rather be safe.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarycampers View Post
Drain everything, blow out all the lines with air, open every tap and you might be O.K. without winterizing again.

If you are unsure, winterize. It is cheaper then a blown water line or pump.
X2
I got snow this am. Long range forecast for this area is only 1 more freezing day next week then clear camping weather. Finally!

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize