Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Dallas Texas
I think it depends on what truck you have and the issues it may have due to high EGTs, low FP, oil temp, coolant temp, and trany temp. Many times the idiot lights aren't preventive and typically light up when damage has already occured. For my Ford 6.0 gauges are one of the best things one can install. I closely track EGT, oil temp, coolant temp, tranny and monitor a few others on a revolving monitor. I can do all this thru the ODB. The fuel pressure is a seperate guage. It dave me from costly injetor damage when my pressure dropped down to around 40psi due to a fuel regulator spring.

2004 Cardinal 33CKT
2006 Ford SDD F250 CC 4WD
TexasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
I've installed EGT and BOOST guages in my truck. Honestly I think its more for show but the I do monitor EGT's a lot when towing because I have a Programmer.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Depends on your truck.

My 98 is OBDII.

It does not monitor EGT's, nor does it care about ECT.

You can run it up to 1200+F in egt's and scorch past 220F in coolant on the stock PCM hauling up hills. Mountains can be worse, it'll top 1400 easily. Stock.

While the engine won't drop dead at first, you cut the life cycles of the engine by over temping them.

The generally accepted sustained values for my truck is 210 ECT and 1100 F egt.

My powertrain is not stock anymore either. The list is far too long to itemize here.

My modified truck manages towing and egt's better than the stock setup. But I've modified my truck for towing, not lots of power.

Here's my interior:

The lower console is a photochop of when I was working out the layout.

IN the upper dash is boost and EGT.

The lower console is lift pump pressure, trans temperature and engine oil temperature.

There are actually only three gauges in the lower console. the 4th gauge spot is where my Devils Own water injection controller is mounted:

That's the closest picture I currently have of it's finished state.

I also built a repeater panel with warning lights controlled by the gauges:

Again, that's a photochop. Closest picture I have to the finished one:

The warning lights tick off a light for items such as EGT (comes on at 1050F) so I don't have to look down to know I'm reaching a limit. Some other ones are low level in my water tank, WIF on my prefilter, over boost, etc....

Lastly, my brake controller which also displays volts:

Currently thinking of places to get IAT, differential temps, transfer case temps, etc into the interior as well.

The touch screen is a back up camera, but it will soon display a car computer which will be hooked up to an OBDII interface. I have a program called "DASHCOMMAND" which will let me create my own guages and display whatever PID I define, as long as my truck supports it.

I fly helicopters for a living, I like to know exactly what my machines are doing......

Probably would have been faster if you just pulled your cockpit flight display out of the helo and installed it in the truck. ,
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Probably would have been faster if you just pulled your cockpit flight display out of the helo and installed it in the truck. ,

Thats one hell of an interior... WOW! Nice job.
2007 Cherokee 28A+
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD 6spd 4x4 Quad Cab
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Scan Gauge is a great investment. I run a hot chip on my truck so I did add some gauges. Trans temp, Fuel pressure, and pyro. (boost is next)
In stock form I wouldnt worry too much, but If your tuned it's a great way to keep things in check.
I also invested in AE (Auto Enginuity) in case there are any problems along the way. I can read/clear any codes and live moniter all engine sensors from my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	10711  
2003 cedar Creek 36 RLTS
Pushing an F350 diesel
US Navy Persian Gulf Vet 1991-1994
cedar creekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Bill C

You never mentioned what kind of truck you have. I would never tow without a minimum of a pre-turbo temperature gauge. If it is an automatic check out this chart.

Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote