Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
GM's hitch problem had to do with tearing the welds out and corrosion. It had nothing to do with the round tube design.
So, are you an Automotive Engineer?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Head Rambler

No, just the manager of a design engineering group that does all kinds of engineering including structural plasticity. I am an EE.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #13

Your occupation sound interesting, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #14

I am off tomorrow and me and my little red truck are going to head over the the local GM dealer where I bought it to find out what the deal is with this receiver and then I may go to Truckin America after this men picks up the Go cart I just sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1364.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1248  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #15

OK, I went to the dealer with my truck and found out after three hours that the reciever on my truck is for a standard 1/2 ton pick up. My pick up is all heavy duty except the reciever that is on it, It's a class-3 The Parts department did some reserch and found that there is an optional heavy duty reciever that is rated for a 3/4 ton truck and it is a class-4 that should work with the frame, it has been ordered and should be in Monday. The other thing I found out is that the frame on the Vortec Max heavy 1/2 ton is all together different from the standard 1/2 and the 3/4 ton, it is what they call one of a kind! Checked with Truckin America, all of the replacment reciever for the early 2000 model Chevy pick up have a round tube platforums. The square platforums are out. I will see what Monday will bring.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #16

Up Date on Receiver

I was going to wait until Friday to give an up date because the truck is going in for a retro fit....Here Is how it has been going, GM dose not have any other receiver for the heavy duty 1/2 ton other then the class "3" and the parts department has been checking around and there is no after market receiver available in a class "4" for the 1/2 ton, so the parts department ordered a class "4" receiver for a 3/4 ton short bed, just in looking at it the bolt holes are not all the same. The service department wants to put it up on the lift and see if there is a way to retro fit the receiver to make it work. The problem is that the class "3" receiver is rated for 600 lbs tongue weight and with weight distribution set up I believe it will increase It by 10% which will take it to 660 lbs, Well this is the problem the tongue weight on my camper is 660 lbs that's with both 30 lbs bottles of propane full, at this point I am not going to mention all the crap that is in the front lower storage compartment and any other cargo I carry in the front bedroom. So I need a receiver that is a class "4" with a tongue rating of 1,000 lbs to be safe. If the retro fit does not work, then it looks like I am stuck. As a last resort I may have to trade in my 4 month old truck with 1400 miles on it for a full blown 3/4 HD, this means that I will have to DE-PIMP my truck remove all the goodies I put on it....This might be one of the reasons why some of the GM tube platforms receivers are failing, people like me think they have one thing but it is something else and we over load the tongue rating??????? Lets see what happens on Friday after noon. I'll tell you the parts department and the service department have shown true customer service.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
Head Rambler

I hate it for you but you might be about to take advantage of some of those incentives that your favorite automaker is offering. With 1400 miles on your unit that's gonna sting. is right. But one good thing. Once you have that bigger TV you can tow with a smile on your face.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

There is a tread on RV.net about "non-replaceable" receivers (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/22264677.cfm) that I have been following. Come to find out, my 2006 F150 also has a similar setup.

I bought my truck to originally to tow a Trailmanor, but wanted it beefy enought in case I ever upgraded....which I did recently to a Surveyor 263. My truck is rated to pull 9300 lbs, but the I don't think the hitch is up to par for that kinda weight.....the stats on the trailer weight are OK (it is rated at 9900 lbs. for towing), but the tongue weight would be the problem. If I were to pull that 9300 lbs. with just a minimum of a 12% tongue weight (1116 lbs.), I would be over the weight distributing tongue weight capacity of my hitch at 990 lbs. Jack that percentage up to 15%, and I am at almost 1400 lbs. tongue weight. Even though the advertisements boasted these large tow capacities, it just not practical in the real world.

Every hitch on newer model trucks should include weight carrying and weight distributing tow capacities. My truck has a 5000 lb. weight carrying capacity with a 500 lb. tongue weight, or a 9900 lb. weight distributing capacity with a 990 lb. tongue weight. With the newer GMs at 600 lbs. weight carrying, I would think that the weight distributing would be more than my truck, also.

Even with a fairly lite trailer as mine (loaded for camping minus food, clothes, and water) @ 5200 lbs., the tongue weight is 720 lbs. I hafta allow for some more loading of the front pass through, plus maybe having to travel with full waste tanks (directly in front of the axles). The dealer set me up with 800 lb. bars, but I have already bought 1200 lb. ones. I can't imagine ever getting over the 990 lb. weight distributing tow rating, but I am sure that I will be over the 800 lbs. under certain conditions, hence the new bars.

An interesting note, is that if I didn't buy my truck with the towing package, I could have gotten a beefier aftermarket receiver with better stats and added it myself. I can't do that with the current setup.

JMHO, but I think the manufacturers have to consider a trailer with the maximum weights to be towed everyday of the truck's life without failure of the hitch, or they could be held liable for that failure. I believe the manufacturers over build and under rate these hitches for this scenerio. Even though it seems that I ended up with a fairly lightly rated receiver compared to other trucks, I am comfortable that my hitch is stout enough to take the load of my trailer with plenty of "fudge" factor in the stats. You betcha I will check out the receiver a lot closer on my next truck purchase.

rockwood06, I might have missed it, but did you ever state the weight distributing tow rating and tongue weight of your hitch, and is that within the stats of your current trailer??

Chap
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is a tread on RV.net about "non-replaceable" receivers (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/22264677.cfm) that I have been following. Come to find out, my 2006 F150 also has a similar setup.

I bought my truck to originally to tow a Trailmanor, but wanted it beefy enought in case I ever upgraded....which I did recently to a Surveyor 263. My truck is rated to pull 9300 lbs, but the I don't think the hitch is up to par for that kinda weight.....the stats on the trailer weight are OK (it is rated at 9900 lbs. for towing), but the tongue weight would be the problem. If I were to pull that 9300 lbs. with just a minimum of a 12% tongue weight (1116 lbs.), I would be over the weight distributing tongue weight capacity of my hitch at 990 lbs. Jack that percentage up to 15%, and I am at almost 1400 lbs. tongue weight. Even though the advertisements boasted these large tow capacities, it just not practical in the real world.

Every hitch on newer model trucks should include weight carrying and weight distributing tow capacities. My truck has a 5000 lb. weight carrying capacity with a 500 lb. tongue weight, or a 9900 lb. weight distributing capacity with a 990 lb. tongue weight. With the newer GMs at 600 lbs. weight carrying, I would think that the weight distributing would be more than my truck, also.

Even with a fairly lite trailer as mine (loaded for camping minus food, clothes, and water) @ 5200 lbs., the tongue weight is 720 lbs. I hafta allow for some more loading of the front pass through, plus maybe having to travel with full waste tanks (directly in front of the axles). The dealer set me up with 800 lb. bars, but I have already bought 1200 lb. ones. I can't imagine ever getting over the 990 lb. weight distributing tow rating, but I am sure that I will be over the 800 lbs. under certain conditions, hence the new bars.

An interesting note, is that if I didn't buy my truck with the towing package, I could have gotten a beefier aftermarket receiver with better stats and added it myself. I can't do that with the current setup.

JMHO, but I think the manufacturers have to consider a trailer with the maximum weights to be towed everyday of the truck's life without failure of the hitch, or they could be held liable for that failure. I believe the manufacturers over build and under rate these hitches for this scenerio. Even though it seems that I ended up with a fairly lightly rated receiver compared to other trucks, I am comfortable that my hitch is stout enough to take the load of my trailer with plenty of "fudge" factor in the stats. You betcha I will check out the receiver a lot closer on my next truck purchase.

rockwood06, I might have missed it, but did you ever state the weight distributing tow rating and tongue weight of your hitch, and is that within the stats of your current trailer??

Chap

No, you did not miss the ratings because I didn't post it but here it is...Weight-Carrying Hitch Limit:5,000 lbs, 600 lbs Tongue Weight and Weight Distribution 10,500 lbs. The camper numbers are: Tongue Weight 660 lbs, Dry weight of the camper 6,600 lbs and fully loaded 7,910 lbs. The only problem I see with the current numbers is the tongue weight, however the other numbers are getting close and from the looks of it the receiver should be a class"4" and that is: Tongue Weight of 1,000 lbs and the Weight Distribution of 12,000 lbs. The Service Department at the Dealers agrees. I will know more on Friday.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
No, you did not miss the ratings because I didn't post it but here it is...Weight-Carrying Hitch Limit:5,000 lbs, 600 lbs Tongue Weight and Weight Distribution 10,500 lbs. The camper numbers are: Tongue Weight 660 lbs, Dry weight of the camper 6,600 lbs and fully loaded 7,910 lbs. The only problem I see with the current numbers is the tongue weight, however the other numbers are getting close and from the looks of it the receiver should be a class"4" and that is: Tongue Weight of 1,000 lbs and the Weight Distribution of 12,000 lbs. The Service Department at the Dealers agrees. I will know more on Friday.
rockwood06, in looking back at the label in the photo of your new truck hitch, doesn't it list the weight distributing tongue maximum @ 1100 lbs??? I can't quite see the label well enough to tell exactly what it is. But if that is correct, then you are currently only at 60% of your maximum weight distributing tongue weight, figuring at your stated 660 lbs for your trailer. You seem to be way under your maximum tow and tongue weights as long as you are using a WDH.

I am at 72% of my maximum weight distributing tongue weight, and I am comfortable with that. Even though my 5200 lb. trailer with 720 lb. tongue weight is over the my hitch maximum weight carrying stats of 5000/500 lbs., it is well under the maximum weight distributing stats of 9900/990 lbs, so you and I both should be good to go......but only when we are using a properly setup WDH system.

Chap