Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
mtnguy, thanks for the web site and your explanation in your last post. The GM part number for the receiver is #15824090, It dose state for weight destribution 10,500 lbs for the trailer and 1,100 for the tongue weight. Depending on where one reads the spec's the technical terminology changes and gets my panties in a bunch. So, the 600 lbs rating is the rating with the camper hooked up to the truck and hitch and nothing else, this is now called DEAD weight, this puts me over by 60 lbs not a big deal, once the weight destribution system is hooked up, the tongue capacity is now increased to the max of the rated receiver, am I thinking in the right direction? Now I made a phone call to my local RV dealer and gave him the numbers and he said all is fine, but he did ask me a few more question about the truck and that is the tires, he recommended changing them out and install LT's. This was suggested by other Forum members before which will happen soon. I still have an appointment with the car dealer to day to do the retro fit and I am going to keep the appointment just to see if the 3/4 ton class "4" receiver will work. The differents between the class "3" and the class "4" is that the class "3" is a fixed 2" receiver, the class "4" receiver is 2 1/2" with a removable adapter that reduces the receiver to 2", this now becomes a double walled receiver this is where the tongue rating is double from the class "3". The tube platform is still 3" in dia. With the new design of the class "4" receivers, once the adapter is installed one can not see the double wall because there is a flange around the adapter that covers the face of the receiver. The older style double wall is welded in and can not be removed and is exposed. This now answers my question in my first posting with the pic " Whats The Differents Between The Two Receivers" I'll see how it go's to day.
__________________

__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
mtnguy, thanks for the web site and your explanation in your last post. The GM part number for the receiver is #15824090, It dose state for weight destribution 10,500 lbs for the trailer and 1,100 for the tongue weight. Depending on where one reads the spec's the technical terminology changes and gets my panties in a bunch. So, the 600 lbs rating is the rating with the camper hooked up to the truck and hitch and nothing else, this is now called DEAD weight, this puts me over by 60 lbs not a big deal, once the weight destribution system is hooked up, the tongue capacity is now increased to the max of the rated receiver, am I thinking in the right direction?
That is my understanding. I don't know whether the 660 lbs. on your hitch would be terribly bad before you hitch up your WDH or not. I imagine that Chevy just doesn't want you going down the road with over a 600 lb. tongue bouncing up and down back there. But if you hitch the trailer up, and install the WHD before you put any of the dead weight on the hitch would probably be the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Now I made a phone call to my local RV dealer and gave him the numbers and he said all is fine, but he did ask me a few more question about the truck and that is the tires, he recommended changing them out and install LT's. This was suggested by other Forum members before which will happen soon.
I have those crappy P rated tires on my truck also....I would rather have LTs, but those 17" tires cost a bundle. My P235/75R17s are rated @ 2205 lbs. each, which is over my rear axle GAWR of 3850 anyway. But with the WDH hooked up and my truck loaded for for bear, my rear axle weight should not be over 3400 lbs, so I have a 1000 lb. margin of error for those tires. My trailer tracks great, so the side softer sidewalls don't seem to be a problem...I do run them at maximum inflation all of the time. I hope to replace with LTs when these tires wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I still have an appointment with the car dealer to day to do the retro fit and I am going to keep the appointment just to see if the 3/4 ton class "4" receiver will work. The differents between the class "3" and the class "4" is that the class "3" is a fixed 2" receiver, the class "4" receiver is 2 1/2" with a removable adapter that reduces the receiver to 2", this now becomes a double walled receiver this is where the tongue rating is double from the class "3". The tube platform is still 3" in dia. With the new design of the class "4" receivers, once the adapter is installed one can not see the double wall because there is a flange around the adapter that covers the face of the receiver. The older style double wall is welded in and can not be removed and is exposed. This now answers my question in my first posting with the pic " Whats The Differents Between The Two Receivers" I'll see how it go's to day.
My F150 receiver looks like the 1 in your 2nd picture, and the aftermarket receiver that I have on my Jeep looks like your 1st picture. The old 1s do look substantially beefier. I am anxious to hear how it goes today.

Chap
__________________

__________________
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
That is my understanding. I don't know whether the 660 lbs. on your hitch would be terribly bad before you hitch up your WDH or not. I imagine that Chevy just doesn't want you going down the road with over a 600 lb. tongue bouncing up and down back there. But if you hitch the trailer up, and install the WHD before you put any of the dead weight on the hitch would probably be the best option.

I think your understanding is correct above about towing in the dead weight mode, but as far as hooking up WDH first, I don't think It can be done. You have to install the hitch into the receiver and then hook up the TT and until the spring bars are set and applied there is no weight distribution. According to the 2008 brochure It states that If you are going to tow a trailer over 5,000 lbs you must use a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION AND SWAY CONTROL HITCH SYSTEM. So what I get out of this is that the receiver will carry a trailer weight and the tongue weight as long as they are under the dead weight limits and no weight distribution is needed. I guess I am calling the tongue weight @ 600 lbs and the trailer weight @ 5,000 lbs dead weight. I am sure that everyone sets there camper on the hitch first then install the spring bars, It's all dead weight at first.




I have those crappy P rated tires on my truck also....I would rather have LTs, but those 17" tires cost a bundle. My P235/75R17s are rated @ 2205 lbs. each, which is over my rear axle GAWR of 3850 anyway. But with the WDH hooked up and my truck loaded for for bear, my rear axle weight should not be over 3400 lbs, so I have a 1000 lb. margin of error for those tires. My trailer tracks great, so the side softer sidewalls don't seem to be a problem...I do run them at maximum inflation all of the time. I hope to replace with LTs when these tires wear out.

Tires....another issue. The truck came with "Good Year Wrangler AT/S P265/R70 17's," a good looking tire but get this the are only 4 ply tires as Bama pointed out to me in and earlier post. I can see it now towing with these tires with and the side walls flexing, with a lack of steering control maybe tires blowing out and sway. To replace these tire with the same type but in a 6 ply it would cost $265.00 each and I would need to replace all 5 tires, that's not going to happen. While at the dealer working out the receiver issue the tires were mentioned, they recommended Brigstone 695 tires, they are 10 ply at a price of $213.00 each installed a total of $1081.00 for all 5. I am thinking about It.


My F150 receiver looks like the 1 in your 2nd picture, and the aftermarket receiver that I have on my Jeep looks like your 1st picture. The old 1s do look substantially beefier. I am anxious to hear how it goes today.

Chap
While at the in the Service department at the Dealers, there were 4 Mechanics the Shop Supervisor and 2 parts Counter Men from the parts department and the New Car Sales Manager. It looked like a pre tailgating party for the Raven's WIN on Sunday at the rear of my truck, I wish I had a camera. After calculation were taken measurements were made and lining everything up the 3/4 ton receiver WILL NOT WORK It can not be up graded from GM or any after market supplier, It is what It Is. Mean while I was talking to the Shop Supervisor and he said he has the same set up as I do, well come to find out he tows a TT as well and he also had the same concerns as I do and many others so I wasn't an odd ball. He confirmed along with the other 4 Mechanics that I should not have any problems with this receiver. So between the Car Dealer and the RV dealer, and the Members on this Forum I guess I am good to go. Just change the tries.
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Well rockwood06, this way you won't have to "depimp" your current ride like you said you might have to do earlier in this thread, and you will save a whole bunch of money.

Have you thought about keeping your current tires and see how they do towing your rig after you get the WDH retuned to your new truck?? That might save you another $1000 bucks or so until those puppies wear out. Of course, if you can find someone to buy the current truck tires, then that might be the better option.

I have been working of and on since I got my trailer in September to fine tune the WDH. The dealer didn't even have it close. I have already taken my combo to the local quarry scales 2 times with different setups, and I am finally getting close with the ball mount tilt and height, so hopefully this next trip across the scales will be my last for awhile.

You mentioned that your new truck hitch has more play than the old one. My hitch setup is real sloppy also, and I am in the process of making some shims to get that corrected. What better thing to do when the temperature is in the low 20s outside.
__________________
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Well rockwood06, this way you won't have to "depimp" your current ride like you said you might have to do earlier in this thread, and you will save a whole bunch of money.

Have you thought about keeping your current tires and see how they do towing your rig after you get the WDH retuned to your new truck?? That might save you another $1000 bucks or so until those puppies wear out. Of course, if you can find someone to buy the current truck tires, then that might be the better option.

I have been working of and on since I got my trailer in September to fine tune the WDH. The dealer didn't even have it close. I have already taken my combo to the local quarry scales 2 times with different setups, and I am finally getting close with the ball mount tilt and height, so hopefully this next trip across the scales will be my last for awhile.

You mentioned that your new truck hitch has more play than the old one. My hitch setup is real sloppy also, and I am in the process of making some shims to get that corrected. What better thing to do when the temperature is in the low 20s outside.

As far as the tires that are on it now, I what to change them as soon as possible. I don't think it is safe towing with passenger tires on a truck that weighs 7,000 lbs and pulling a trailer that weighs 3 1/2 tons fully loaded. There are too many people out there that drive cars that have no respect for those of us that drive a small semi when we are headed to a campground. I am real funny when it comes to safety issues with towing, I don't what to jeopardize my health and well being, yours and your family and everyone else that is around me when I am on the road. I will spend the money to make it right. Just last week I posted the 5 carlisle tires on Craigs list that came off of my camper this past Spring, they were replaced with Good Year. I had 3 calls on them and they were gone in 2 days. So the Good Year tires that are on the truck now will end up on Craigs list.

Good Luck with your WDH set up, I am sure you like this to be the last time. My camper has to go into the dealers for fridg recall, and I know I have to have the WDH adjusted for the new truck, so I think I am going to let them take care of It. I am going to tow the camper up with the Suburban and then came back home to get the new truck so they can check the hitch and make the adjustments, the Dealer is about 35 mins away. I will not be towing with the new truck until May, so I should have time to correct anything that needs it.

Yes, the receiver on the new truck has some slop when the hitch is installed, but in the receiver to the Suburban there is very little movement. When I spoke to an installer at Truckin America, I ask him about slop and he said that's how there are now, with the new style of receivers. He said the only way to reduce slop is to do what you are doing, shim, shim, shim. By the way, I fell your pain working out side in 20 degree temps while playing with steel, can be a bit chilling. Are you in the mood for a cold one?
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
As far as the tires that are on it now, I what to change them as soon as possible. I don't think it is safe towing with passenger tires on a truck that weighs 7,000 lbs and pulling a trailer that weighs 3 1/2 tons fully loaded. There are too many people out there that drive cars that have no respect for those of us that drive a small semi when we are headed to a campground. I am real funny when it comes to safety issues with towing, I don't what to jeopardize my health and well being, yours and your family and everyone else that is around me when I am on the road. I will spend the money to make it right.
Sounds like you are doing the safest thing possible there. BTW, I balanced all of my trailer tires and put metal valve stems in so that I can run TPMS sensors on the wheels without bending the rubber stems due to centrifugal force at speed, and 2 balancing shops said it my spare was so far out of round that it won't balance correctly. 1 of the next chores of mine is get that puppy replaced, hopefully through warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post

Good Luck with your WDH set up, I am sure you like this to be the last time. My camper has to go into the dealers for fridg recall, and I know I have to have the WDH adjusted for the new truck, so I think I am going to let them take care of It. I am going to tow the camper up with the Suburban and then came back home to get the new truck so they can check the hitch and make the adjustments, the Dealer is about 35 mins away. I will not be towing with the new truck until May, so I should have time to correct anything that needs it.
Just be careful of the dealer setup....the dealers are notorious for not taking their time to set things up correctly. My dealer had the tongue way low, so I had to remedy that the 1st thing. Out of the 640 lb. empty tongue weight on my trailer, the front axle of my truck was still 240 lbs. lite, there was 840 lbs. added to my rear axle, and they only had added 40 lbs. on the trailer axles....totally unacceptable. I ended up tilting the ballmount platform back 3 more notches than what the dealer had set up to get it close, and probably will do 1 more notch to get it exactly tuned in.

I hope your dealer is better at the WDH system then mine was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Yes, the receiver on the new truck has some slop when the hitch is installed, but in the receiver to the Suburban there is very little movement. When I spoke to an installer at Truckin America, I ask him about slop and he said that's how there are now, with the new style of receivers. He said the only way to reduce slop is to do what you are doing, shim, shim, shim. By the way, I fell your pain working out side in 20 degree temps while playing with steel, can be a bit chilling. Are you in the mood for a cold one?
I did most of my work indoors yesterday with an occasional trip outside, and there was a suffient amount of beverages consumed.
__________________
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Sounds like you are doing the safest thing possible there. BTW, I balanced all of my trailer tires and put metal valve stems in so that I can run TPMS sensors on the wheels without bending the rubber stems due to centrifugal force at speed, and 2 balancing shops said it my spare was so far out of round that it won't balance correctly. 1 of the next chores of mine is get that puppy replaced, hopefully through warranty.

When I had the tires changed out on the camper, I had all 5 balanced, and man what a difference. People just don't til they make the change. The new tires are rated for 65 psi, I don't know if they are concedered as a high pressure tire, I know that the 10 ply tires are @ 80 psi and they have to have high pressure valve stems in stalled.



Just be careful of the dealer setup....the dealers are notorious for not taking their time to set things up correctly. My dealer had the tongue way low, so I had to remedy that the 1st thing. Out of the 640 lb. empty tongue weight on my trailer, the front axle of my truck was still 240 lbs. lite, there was 840 lbs. added to my rear axle, and they only had added 40 lbs. on the trailer axles....totally unacceptable. I ended up tilting the ballmount platform back 3 more notches than what the dealer had set up to get it close, and probably will do 1 more notch to get it exactly tuned in.

I hope your dealer is better at the WDH system then mine was.


The dealer that I use I have been dealing with for the past 9 years. The first time was in 2000 they set up my first camper and I did not have any problems at all, but when I bought the last one which is the one I have now the hitch work was below standards. When we took the camper out for the first time we were on interstate 76 the PA trunpike, the speed limit is 65 mph as soon as I hit 51 mph the camper started to sway and I was out of control I was taking both lanes and the right shoulder nearly hitting the guardrail, thank GOD no one was around me. When I gained control I pull off of the side of the road to inspect everything and saw nothing wrong so I drove no faster then 45 mph. Once I got to where I was going and parked into a site I had 3 cold ones before I could unhitch and I am not going to mention the condition of my underwear. About an hour went by after setting up I had a flat tire on the left rear of my Suburban, well from all that sway it damaged the bead on a brand new 10 ply tire. After that weekend I toke the camper right back to the Dealers to check things out, Well the the camper was hitch too low the The equipment for the WDH was out of square and the tilt of the ball was wrong, It was a total mess. Now if this was to happen with this new truck with 4 ply tires on it, I am sure I would not be on this Forum today. So in my mine safety comes first and if I can not afford it then I need to stay off the road.




I did most of my work indoors yesterday with an occasional trip outside, and there was a suffient amount of beverages consumed.
That's one way to stay kinda warm!
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 45
As far as using shims for your hitch. I've been using zip ties. They come in muliple lenghts withs and thicknesses. They do crush, but I use a new set everytime I tow.
__________________
Bill
2006 Hemi Ram Quad Cab 4x4
2005 Cherokee 28A+

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Zip ties, white or black?
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 45
I just see zip ties!!!! Doesn't matter what color they are.
__________________

__________________
Bill
2006 Hemi Ram Quad Cab 4x4
2005 Cherokee 28A+

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.