Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #31

My main concern with GM's factory hitch was all the bouncing the truck and trailer do while traveling. I never felt safe, so I put a true class V receiver under the truck, and now we all fell much safer. This is specially important with a heavy tonge weigth like our front kitchen model TT. I went with a Putnam XDR, but there are others also.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcar View Post
My main concern with GM's factory hitch was all the bouncing the truck and trailer do while traveling. I never felt safe, so I put a true class V receiver under the truck, and now we all fell much safer. This is specially important with a heavy tonge weigth like our front kitchen model TT. I went with a Putnam XDR, but there are others also.

Do you fell a difference between the two or is it a mine set knowing you have something stronger?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #33

I honestly can't say I feel a difference when driving, but I can tell you that I noticed a slight difference in weight distribution, meaning, the front of the truck comes down some know, and before I could never get that effect no matter what I did. So I think the stock receiver was flexing a bit. Anyway, I fell a lot safer now, and I'm not as worried about road conditions as I was before.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcar View Post
I honestly can't say I feel a difference when driving, but I can tell you that I noticed a slight difference in weight distribution, meaning, the front of the truck comes down some know, and before I could never get that effect no matter what I did. So I think the stock receiver was flexing a bit. Anyway, I fell a lot safer now, and I'm not as worried about road conditions as I was before.
I am glad you are more relaxed with your change out. My camper is going to the dealers this Friday for the refridge recall and I am going to tow the camper home with the new truck just the way it is set up from GM to see how it handles. The camper was suppose to go in last Friday but it was pack in ice due to the weather, so hopefully I don't have to cancel again this Friday.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #35

Hey rockwood06, after I posted my response about pulling the trailer with the new receiver, I started thinking about it, and I remember telling my wife that the front of the truck was not bouncing like it did with the factory receiver. So basically, it felt like the whole truck would move as one unit instead of having a rocking kind of feeling. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it did make a difference in the way the truck felt after all.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafter View Post
Hey rockwood06, after I posted my response about pulling the trailer with the new receiver, I started thinking about it, and I remember telling my wife that the front of the truck was not bouncing like it did with the factory receiver. So basically, it felt like the whole truck would move as one unit instead of having a rocking kind of feeling. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it did make a difference in the way the truck felt after all.

Thanks for the info, this will give me something to compare to on Friday, other then my 97 3/4 ton Suburban and if there are any other members on the Forum that have used the newer style receivers and have noticed other difference that I need to pay attention to then please post them. I mention before, the tires on the truck are P 265/70 R17 (4 ply) that came as standard equipment and will be changed out to (10 ply) at a later date be for camping season starts. I know that will make a big difference in ti self.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #37

Fridays Set Up On New Truck

I made it to the Dealers to day for the Fridge recall and to get the hitch work changed over from the 97 Suburban to the new 2008 Silverado.
The first pic is the Surburban hooked up to the Rockwood, the second pic is the hitch work for the exsisting set up on the Suburban.
The third pic shows the Rockwood hooked up to the new 2008 Silverado, the fourth pic shows the new set up and the adjustments that had to be made to make the change.
Well, what a differance towing makes between the two trucks. The new truck tows great, but there is something dfferent when I back up, it must be the wheel base, it's something I have to adjust to. I kept an eye on the reciever when the hitch and spring bars were attached at the Dealers and then after I drove home and park the camper and disconnected. There was no flex in the receiver at all. The truck seem to handle nice and stiff and will not let the trailer do anything on It's own. The only thing I noticed at 60 mph is that the tires had some flex in the side walls but was not too bad for 4 ply tires, 10 ply are coming soon. It seems now that the GM class 3-4 receiver design change is as solid as a ROCK at this time and is working well on the VortecMax Heavy duty 1/2 Ton. Time will tell. I would like thank everyone for there input and reserch, I had a few members PM me about different manufactures and there replacement receivers for my truck, it was extra work on there part to help me and I do appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2160.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1272   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2162.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1273   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2164.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1274   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2166.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1275  
Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
Head Rambler

Good looking with the new setup. Maybe it's just an optical illusion but looks like you need a bit more tilt in the hitch head so you can get another link or so under tension. That'll affect how it backs up as well.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #39

That's the first thing I questioned, on the old set up it had a 3 degree tilt towards the camper, but the new set up looks like it is straight up. The way it was explained to me is that in order to make the hitch ball level to match the level point of the camper the hitch can be adjusted with no more then a 3 degree tilt to achieve the proper height from the ground to the top of the hitch ball and this should be at the level point of the camper. I guess this is called tweaking the final adjustment. If you can't set the hitch at the perfect height then the tilt comes in, but they say no more then 3 Degrees. Bama, I didn't think about the tilt effecting the reverse mode, thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
Head Rambler

I think there's some misinformation here. The way I understand it, the tilt isn't used to level the RV it's used to get enough tension on the bars to distribute the weight correctly. I'd suggest you go over to RV.Net Towing and read the Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure. It's the best and most comprehensive info I've ever seen about the setting up of the Reese hitch. I read the entire thing and I don't even own a Reese.