Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

Difference Between Receivers

The first pic is the receiver on my old tow vehicle, a 1997 3/4 ton Suburban with a tow rating of 7,500 lbs, The second pic is the receiver on my new 2008 Chevy pick-up heavy 1/2 ton with a tow rating of 10,500 lbs Do you see the difference between the two, the first pic is double wall (Suburban) and the second pic is not (2008 pick-up) But yet the new truck receiver is rated @ 11,000 lbs and the Suburban rating on the receiver is 10,000 lbs. Is the new design stronger or what? I have noticed that the hitch fits tighter in the doubled walled reciever then in the single wall receiver. Any input would be mined easing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2143.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1239   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2142.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1240  

Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Those receivers are made of different grades and formulations of steel. It doesn't surprise me that the newer one is rated higher than the older one. You'll also notice the newer one is round tube design and the older one is square tube. The twisting moment on the new one will be much greater because of that too.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #3

and the newer gm hitches for some have had alot of failures due to to much twisting.
if your really planning on towing over 5k i would spend a bit of $$ and get a good hitch from titan or reese.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #4

Reese hitch

Powerboatr, this is the hitch that I have been using, it weighs about 42 lbs. It is a Reese weight distribution and sway system with Reese-V5 rated spring bars Do you think this will work with the new style of receiver and there is lots of $$$$ involved with this hitch system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2144.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1245   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2145.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1246   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2146.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1247  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #5

I too have read many post of the GM hitch failures.

When I bought my '06 Chevy, I towed my Rockwood 8315SS(6400lbs. est.) up I-55 with the factory GM hitch. I didn't like the feeling I was getting.
Anyone who has driven I-55 between Hammond & the Mississippi state line knows how bad this stretch is.

Two weeks later I installed the Putman XDR rated at 16,000 pound weight distribution and tongue weights up to 1,600 pounds. We then traveled to the same campground up I-55. The difference in the ride was very noticeable. I was experiencing flex from the factory GM hitch.
If you'll be towing a heavy trailer with the factory hitch, replace it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #6

rockwood
thats not the dining room table is it

i would do a very thorough inspection on the entire hitch on the tv. they seem to crack at the webs
and w/d hitches transfer a lot of weight/stress through that hitch attachment point

point is
for a receiver hitch running any thing over 5k i would be Leary of any OEM hitch

IMO
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboat View Post
rockwood
that's not the dining room table is it

i would do a very thorough inspection on the entire hitch on the tv. they seem to crack at the webs
and w/d hitches transfer a lot of weight/stress through that hitch attachment point

point is
for a receiver hitch running any thing over 5k i would be Leary of any OEM hitch

IMO
No, it is not the dining room table, it is the kitchen table. My wife looked at as if I was crazy and sometimes I am! I am glad I posted this, I have been studying this since I bought the truck in September. My camper weighs 6,600 lbs dry and 7,910 fully loaded. I have had the camper hooked up to the truck one time and that was to pull it out of storage and put it on a site, but have not towed on the open road and that is because I know that there is hitch adjustments that need to be made. The receiver sets 1" lower on the new truck @ 17" then the one on the 97 Suburban @ 18" and the camper is @ 19" level at the hitch ball. This has me very worried about the receiver not holding up. Would you be able to tell me where I can fine the stats on this issue? I don't know if it will do any good but I may need to contact GM about this. This a very important safety Issue and if anything happens while I am towing, there is a possibility that other could be involved. My God, I would fell so bad if someone got hurt. Thanks very much for the reply and I hope this helps someone else take notice. This is the Forum to be apart of
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

i think many have breached the subject with gm at other sites about th ehitch failures.
I for one didn't follow them to close as i don't have a gm hitch.
but a google search on GM oem hitch failures will keep you reading awhile

reese has great instructions for setting up your hitch and height at their website
Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #9

FWIW, the newer GM hitches have been redesigned compared to the previous version! and the design before that and any of the HD replacement hitches i.e. Reese, isn`t even a comparison. also the Dodges have been using the less than adequateround tube design since 03.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Head Rambler

GM's hitch problem had to do with tearing the welds out and corrosion. It had nothing to do with the round tube design.