Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Different side to side level readings

Hello everyone, new here. I have a 2019 36' 7" (nose to tail) travel trailer, Forest River Cherokee Alpha Wolf 29QB-L, with one large slide out. I'm noticing that when I level it side to side I can get it level in the middle of the trailer and, for the most part, it shows level all the way to the back. From the middle forward, and I'm judging middle from the 4 wheels area, it seems to go off level. I'm using a 24" level, like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WM0RG5UL&psc=1 . I've not only tested this on the floor of the trailer but also on the side of the trailer itself and the level changes walking all the way from the back to the front...it's not drastic, but it's enough to make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. It does get significantly more out of level in the front once I've extended the large slide out.

I am using leveling blocks under the tires to get side to side level and then I put down the power stabilizers. I don't know what else I can do to make the front more level and to keep my levels consistent front to back in the trailer. Is my trailer bending? Should it be if it is? I'm just wondering if something is wrong with it.

I've seen people in videos use manual stabilizers on their trailer to get it level from the corners. I thought you weren't supposed to use those to level? I couldn't even do it if I wanted to either because I thought about that to compensate the other day, and I put more blocks on one side of my power stabilizer than the other. One thing to note is my power stabilizers in the front and back work together so I cannot actually make one corner higher than another. Unfortunately the power stabilizers auto adjust if one side is higher than the other, so it had zero effect.

Any advice would be welcome...I'm worried my trailer is flexing or bending more than it should and something is wrong. Thanks in advance, I look forward to the feedback!
nmiller0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Guess that no one has seen a similar issue
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

I don't think it is anything to worry about...the main thing is to get the fridge level...and to be comfortable to sleep.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #4

You're probably not going to be able to get it completely level and your stabilizers are doing their job by not allowing the frame to twist by lifting one corner. You level side to side and front to back.

As modemem said... the most important think is to get that refrigerator as level as possible.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

I have never seen an RV that could be consistently leveled throughout the entire RV.

I usually just pick a spot that is important to me to be level. For us that is he middle section of the RV where we walk the most. Get that level and the rest seems to be level enough.

Others pick the bedroom, some use the refrigerator, a counter top, the bathroom.... You name it. As long as the doors don't stick and you don't feel like your walking on a slope, you are good

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get the 'twist' out of it, it just isn't going to happen on a regular basis
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Team

It might depend on where you are putting your level. I usually try to put it on the actual frame underneath it when I'm checking for level. Sometimes the flooring inside can be a little off.

Either way, it doesn't really have to be perfectly level. As long as stuff doesn't roll off your counters and your doors don't shut by themselves, you're probably OK.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
I don't think it is anything to worry about...the main thing is to get the fridge level...and to be comfortable to sleep.

This^^^^^^

I use the small stick on levels. One for leveling lengthwise, and one for side to side.
I parked the trailer on a flat street(no crown in the road)in front of the house, and adjusted the height so it was the same front to back. I installed the levels, and that’s what I use.
I set it a bit high on the slide side, so when the slides are out, and the extra weight hanging off the slide side compresses the springs on that side more, the trailer is level.

It’s more then good enough for the fridge to operate properly, and I sleep comfortably.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for all of your replies and feedback!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Try installing a LevelMate Pro. It shows you on your smartphone where you're off level and by how much. You do have to calibrate it first, so figure out a place that you know is level and plan on setting it up in that location.

For videos about it before you buy, check out both the RV Geeks and RV With Tito. One or both should have discount codes as well.
SunseeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

Thanks, I actually own one of those now. Just arrived today. Gotta get it setup!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #11

Put a full can of beer or soda on it's side and see if it rolls...…...that will tell if your level
Twister is offline   Reply With Quote