Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #1

Digital TV confusion

I hope someone here can help me with this.

We have the 32" Toshiba in our 2010 Rockwood 5th wheel. It has a digital tuner built in. (The Toshiba has a HDMI input on it) We also have the ZX700 Concertone, which does not have HD. The TV only receives analog from our winegard batwing antenna. I have been told to buy a digital to analog tuner to receive HDTV. I was into a Leisure Days dealer and they have told me that I don't need the digital to analog tuner if I install a Jack antenna. I have also learned that the new wingman attachment for the bat wing will bring in the signal on my TV, but I don't know if it still requires the digital to analog tuner.

Hope this is making sense to someone. We are probably going to go with the Jack Antenna as it is only $60 to buy, rather than the wingman which is $260 to buy. And as an added bonus, the Jack takes up less room on my roof.

So, my question is, whichever antenna I go with, do I still need the Digial to analog tuner for the TV?

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If your tv has a built in digital tuner, you do not need to buy anything else. My Winegard antennae brings in digital channels just fine. And before the digital change over, it brought in analog signals. I did add a Wingman, which brought in another station or 2, but the most important thing was it stopped some of the pixelation on some of the weaker channels.

The Wingman add-on for the Winegard Sensar is only about $30 or so....don't know where you priced it at $260.

Make sure your TV is set-up correctly, and that the antennae booster is on, and give that puppy another try.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Team

if the TV has the digital tuner, your regular antenna will work.
don't need a "special" antennae to work.
the Wingman add-on does help with getting better signals from the weaker stations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Just double checked the price for the wingman, $47.95 in Canada. I was looking at a total install of the batwing and wingman by mistake.

Thanks for your reply, our TV has the setup or channel scan, but I notice it usually only scans for analog her in Canada until September 1, 2011. We are behind you in the states for digital broadcasts. I assume that the scan will now look for digital channels if it has the digital tuner built in.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Syd,

You are being scammed by your dealer.

The Winegard antenna you presently have will bring HIGH DEF digital signals to your existing TV just fine.

Adding the Winegard Wingman UHF signal booster to your existing Sensar antenna will increase RANGE of UHF digital signals. The amount of range increase depends on line of sight issues just like your existing antenna.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ster-9994.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	8203  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf Sensar Antenna and Amp Plate.pdf (1.06 MB, 32 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

Thank you!

I was wondering about that myself. Leisure Days are not my dealer, but they are supposed to be the experts in our area on Satellite hookups. I do a lot of dry camping, and we camp in the Canadian Shield area, TV signals are difficult to pull in. Most of the other campers we see have satellite hook ups and they get the TV signals.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Note: If the broadcast tower is further than 30-45 miles from your campsite, you will not be able to get reception with any over the air antenna that is feasible to carry on your camper's back.

Satellite is your only option.

Also if there is no room on your roof for the Wingman Booster; there MAY be room for the Jack antenna head replacement. You will need 12 and a half inches from the boom to the closest obstruction for the Jack.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote