Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

dinette table legs

I have a 2010 Rockwood 2604. The dinette table legs are very wobbly. I notice the support hinges for the folding legs are not very strong. I do not want to go pedestal leg but would like to know if anyone as either used heavy duty supports or something else to make the table more rigged when in use. I know someone has done something as I read the forums all the time and there is a lot of talent out there. So much talent that I think campers should be designing the trailers. I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Stevieboy,
I also have a 2010 Rockwood 2604.
I asked the dealer about putting in pedestal legs, but said that was not a good idea since the pedestal support would have to be screwed into the plywood floor which is part of the slide. If the screws were too long it would ruin the carpeting underneath.
You could probably replace the legs with something similar to the existing legs, that were a bit stronger without any problem.
The other thing I was thinking about was installing the Dream Dinette table, but I don't know how much reinforcement would need to be added to the wall.
http://www.casshudson.com/catalog/display.php?product_id=232
I spoke to my dealer about it, but he was not aware of anyone who'd done that with the 2604.
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I looked at that fold down table, too. Without knowing what is in the wall under the window I doubt I will be going that route.

I am, and have been for a while, leaning towards making a lighter (but still sturdy enough for a bed) table out of aluminim square tube framing and sturdier folding legs.

I also want an integral folding leaf on the camper end of the table that can be folded out to add room for two more diners inside.

One day I will get off my duff and design and build it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

We have a problem with the flimsy parts for holding the folding legs in position also in our 8315 BSS. We travel with the table down and when I extended the legs then went to slide the table back into position the holding bars and anchor plate bent. I have our trailer in at the dealer for some warranty work right now and this is one of the items to be dealt with. I will let you know what they come up with for a fix.
Don
DonJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

Forest river has a new leg style for the dinnete tables. I have a 2011 Rockwood and I just got the new legs from Forest River. They have a wide base made from rectangular tubing and the legs have a "scissor" type arrangement to collapse the table, nice set up. I will take some pictures tonight and post them.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Forest river has a new leg style for the dinnete tables. I have a 2011 Rockwood and I just got the new legs from Forest River. They have a wide base made from rectangular tubing and the legs have a "scissor" type arrangement to collapse the table, nice set up. I will take some pictures tonight and post them.
Ok here are the pictures. I don't have the table attached to it yet. You can see how the legs fold up and down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04587.jpg
Views:	2110
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	3675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04588.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	3676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04589.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	3677  
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #7

It's hard to tell with out seeing them but, could you maybe remove and reposition the legs to help make them more stable?
We have the scissor style legs and I haven't noticed that they are weak or wobbly.

Can you post a picture for us?

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
It's hard to tell with out seeing them but, could you maybe remove and reposition the legs to help make them more stable?
We have the scissor style legs and I haven't noticed that they are weak or wobbly.

Can you post a picture for us?

Bill
I think stevieboy is talking about the tubular type legs
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Ok here are the pictures. I don't have the table attached to it yet. You can see how the legs fold up and down
Looks very stable - what is the height when lowered?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #10

Its a bit lower than the original table, but you just add a filler piece between the frame brackets and the table so that when its lowered you can still use the dinette as a spare bed if you want. My tubular legs that came with my RV originally had blocks between the legs and table.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. I might have to get one of those.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #12

My camper came with the flimsy fold down legs, we replaced them with pedestal legs, so much better and have no problems with slide. It was a easy modification. I just dont understand why they put fold down legs on a table
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #13

Quote:
I think stevieboy is talking about the tubular type legs
Yes I understand. That is what I am talkiing about.
They are tubular and fold in from each side.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #14

Our Rockwood 2702SS dinette table came with these legs and the table is WOBBLY. However what I found to be the cause is the latching mechanism (see ivesm post, the yellow dot in third picture) that holds the two halves together when in the upright position. Whereas the bottom half is firmly on the floor without any rocking, the top half (with the table top attached to it) rocks back and forth. Again the latching mechanism isn't doing that good of a job in holding the two halves together and you can see the movement.

Don't expect to use the dinette as a bed anytime soon so I'm thinking of somehow permanently attaching the two halves together and calling it quits.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Yvesm,
Do you have a point of contact for ordering these legs? And out of curiosity, how much were they?
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #16

yvesm,

You ordered this from FR? You have a part# or something?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Personally I would like to hear more from Frank M. I HATE spending good money on an upgrade that does not do what is promised.

Is his issue with these square tube folding legs a "one off" or is it a systemic problem.

Spending a hundred bucks or more for a table to find out it is "wobbly" would piss me off huge.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
yvesm,

You ordered this from FR? You have a part# or something?
The new legs were a Waranty replacement of the old tubular legs. You would have to contact FR parts deparment to get a price. I don't have a part number
Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Personally I would like to hear more from Frank M. I HATE spending good money on an upgrade that does not do what is promised.

Is his issue with these square tube folding legs a "one off" or is it a systemic problem.

Spending a hundred bucks or more for a table to find out it is "wobbly" would piss me off huge.
Lou, we have only used our Rockwood once and although the table was definitely wobbly I really didn't get down on my knees to see what's going on. It was enough of an issue that I made a mental note to check it, but nothing that kept me up at night (you know what I mean).

But back to my post and your question. In the little time we did use it I could tell that it wasn't the bottom section of the table (where it makes contact with the floor) nor the table top being improperly attached to the top section being the movement culprits, the place where I saw movement was where the folding sections meet when in the upright position and are held in place (locked) by a spring loaded latch. It was there that when we moved or leaned on the table I could see the back and forth rocking. "One-off" heck yeah, mine does it and I only have one Systematic? We'll have to wait until ivesm puts his together and see what he finds.

I'll take a closer look this weekend and post pics and an update.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Thanks you guys for taking "point" on this. I have my dealer looking into price and availability for just the leg set. I will also let you know.
My dealer is not the best, so they may, or may not, get back to me.