Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #1

Dinnette Table Size & Fold Down Issue

Just curious if anyone else has this problem with their TT. This is in a 2012 Surveyor Sport 186.

I should have noticed it when we picked up and went through the trailer but I guess it was informaiton overload and I didn't really think to actually put the table in position. Originally, I thought perhaps the table was put in incorrectly (wrong way in) so did not think it to be a big deal.

It IS a big deal - not only is it not very amiable to the bed position, as the gap that is there under the cushions isn't great, but it is also a safety issue when it comes to bumping into the metal legs when trying to navigate through the already narrow "hallway".

The table also sits a good ways away from the wall when in an upright position - the table thus sticks out into the walkway. And no, it turns out it isn't because it is in incorrect postion. I flipped it to face the other way and it's actually far worse.

I'm not able to even re-attach the legs, as the top of the frame is already right at the edge of the table.

I will be stopping in to the dealers about this (and a few other smaller issues) but I don't forsee getting much help from them. Guess my next best bet is to contact FR - not sure if they will have a solution or am I just out of luck?

I don't think I got the "wrong" table. Now that I have realized this is a problem, I looked online for some other pictures of the same trailer listed at other dealer sites and it seems they all look like this?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I've already wacked my leg on it once and have a cut and bruise on my shin. Wish I had caught this problem before rather than after

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gap From Wall.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	7749

Name:	Gap When Down.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	7750

Name:	Sticking Out and Hardware.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	7751

Name:	Sticking Out.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7752

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)
Jax & Brodie (the 2 Spoiled German Shepherds)
NorthernGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I would like to know how this turns out. Please keep us in mind as you go. I have the old style table with the folding legs. They are very flimsy and the down locks bend and break easily.

I almost bought new legs like yours. Now I might be glad I did not.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It just ain't right! I predict a new table is in the offing.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Well, I posted this same question with some pics on the Surveyor by FR FB Website and received a reply by FR stating that this is indeed the correct table for the unit and it shouldn't pose a problem https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surve...691107?sk=wall

I'm not to thrilled over this response. What a PITA to have a brand new trailer with a table that has such a poor design for the unit.

Guess now I have to figure out how in the world to modify this, especially since it is such a narrow space on this model.

May have to suck it up and order one of those 3 stage tier pedestals. They look to be pretty pricey though.

I wonder if there is any way to cut and reweld the frame so the legs are closer togather?

Bah!

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I would like to know how this turns out. Please keep us in mind as you go. I have the old style table with the folding legs. They are very flimsy and the down locks bend and break easily.

I almost bought new legs like yours. Now I might be glad I did not.
Lou, I wonder if those table legs might work in your specific unit. I think the biggest problem with it being in the SP 186 is that it is a narrower unit maybe? The set up idea behind it is actually pretty great...IF it actually fit and folded down properly without the wheelwell being in the way. But I guess there is really no way to tell unless you had one to try out, whcih is too bad.

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

I have a 2010 186 with the old style fold up legs and wall bracket. It is a little flimsy But i bet you could get it to work with your table.It can not be that expensive or go to a single post style leg. I totally understand what you mean about limited room. That set up makes no sense. I see bruised shins in your future. That can not be comfortable when your sleeping either. See if maybe they will send you the old style bracket as a compromise.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #7

Thanks Keg - that sounds like a decent idea. I'm just really paranoid about drilling/screwing stuff into the walls and floors since I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to RVs but it looks like that will be what I have to do.

I think you are right though about contacting them to see if they will send me something in lieu of. I've alreday bashed my shin once during the night on the metal frame that sticks out and sustained a cut and bruise that bloody hurt!

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

weird!!! we have that style of legs, and love it, but ours goes all the way to the end, right under the window---ive never seen one that sticks out like that, it doesn't make any sense!!! i truly hope this gets resolved!!
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtovn View Post
weird!!! we have that style of legs, and love it, but ours goes all the way to the end, right under the window---ive never seen one that sticks out like that, it doesn't make any sense!!! i truly hope this gets resolved!!
LOL - No it *doesn't* make any sense at all!! I can't believe they posted it is the right table and "shouldn't pose any problems".

I will work on contacting them and sending a letter with the pictures as well. We shall see if they are willing to negotiate anything to resolve the issue, although if they don't think it's an issue, I'm not sure if anything will come of it. Maybe I shoud have taken a picture of my bashed up shin...I think that is an issue. At least, it is a significant issue for anyone who has health issues that result in imparaired wound healing...not good!

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Deja vu!

Reading your post brought back memories of another almost identical post, Well, I guess my mind is not as bad as my wife says it is (I like to call it selective memory!), in any case, here is that post http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...able-9945.html. Sad that FR thinks this is acceptable!
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Apparently the 2011s had a different table mounting system. Then someone improved it and:

Now it don't work no more

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Looks to me like in pic number 2, the table was/is designed to fit flush with the side wall, as mine does. It would/should lay over the top of that wheel well cover, if that is what the wood box next to the wall is. If that was my table, I'd remove that framework on the underside, and either modify the existing setup, OR change it back to the old style that most everybody else has. That table sticking out would definitely not be acceptable to me! Good Luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Reading your post brought back memories of another almost identical post, Well, I guess my mind is not as bad as my wife says it is (I like to call it selective memory!), in any case, here is that post http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...able-9945.html. Sad that FR thinks this is acceptable!
Frank, I actually did find that post in my forum search when I was looking to see if anyone had posted any issues with the scissor leg type table before I posted LOL. I never noted an outcome response on that particular topic above so was not feeling too optimistic!

dimurrrw, I had not thought to search the older models to see what set up they had. It surely fits far better than mine does! LOL. I do really like the idea of the table I *do* have - it is very sturdy and does scissor down quite easily, so it's a quick set and and down.

Randy, you are dead on correct in that the table (if the base was done correctly) would fit perfectly against the wall. So the size of the tabletop is not at all the issue - only the base. There is no way around changing it easily - I have tried repositioning it and even thought of moving the legs but there is no way about it as the one side already is mounted right up against the edge of the table. The only way I could see it being able to be modified using the orginal legs (which as I said I very much like) might be to chop it all in half and then reweld it so the legs are closer together. I'm not a welder, however, nor am I sure this would resolve the issue. May have to bit the bullet and get the different leg set up (though not sure about the wall mount set up as I keep envisioning this would become loose). I'm not very knowledgeable about RV build etc so I am really not keen on trying to "fix" it myself. With my luck, I would drill through electrical or damage some other components. Really, I suppose I am thinking it is a manufacturer's error in a poorly fitting component and I hope it can be resolved. I would hate to have to pay significant amounts of money in damaging the trailer because of this LOL.

On a positive note, just to update everyone (and give FR some credit thus far as of late), after I replied on the FB page that it was quite problematic for me (and I had wacked my leg on the protruding metal bracket thingy), they did post another response for me to contact them and speak to a specific individual. I am optimistic and very hopeful that FR will be willing to work on resolving this problem for me. I am always happy to report my experiences with companies to folks who may be interested in a product I have had, so a little service to us consumers does indeed go a long way in the long run . Let's keep our fingers crossed

Thanks so much to everyone who posted their thoughts on this. As a newbie to the whole TT thing, I wasn't really sure if this was something that others would think was no big deal and if I was a bit out to lunch on how bothersome the current set up is for us!

2012 Surveyor Sport 186
2007 Toyota 4Runner V6

Nicole (Me) & Chris (DH)