Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Dish Tailgater Questions

Has anybody had issues with Tailgater getting weak signal or losing a satellite during rainy or overcast weather if so any solutions
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

Not just anybody but everybody has at one time or another experienced this and not just with tailgater but with home system also. It's a satellite phenomenon. It's not a weather satellite dish looking at the weather it's a satellite receiver dish that needs to see through the weather and sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. Solution, wait for bad weather conditions to clear out. Not an issue, normal.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Agree with bubbles.
I have both the tailgater and home dish network and will get interrupted service when a storm blows through.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

You also need to remember this dish is very small, like maybe 12". Does not take much to wack it out. Ours us touchy but good when it works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Yes it works good but storms will knock it off for a few minutes, I take a receiver from home and away we go. no extra fees
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

It's my early warning severe storm alert system...
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
You also need to remember this dish is very small, like maybe 12". Does not take much to wack it out. Ours us touchy but good when it works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
This is very true. My friend uses a Pathway P2 to receive SD DirecTv. I use a full-size Slimline dish on a tripod to get HD DirecTv. The difference in the size of the dish is huge. If it rains just a little, he loses the signal and I don't. The only times I lose the signal is during a torrential downpour or if snow accumulates on the dish.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

I think the tailgaters signal is weaker than the full size dish hd antenna I use to take but the ease of aquireing the signal makes it well worth the occasional signal loss. I love my tailgater.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #9

When I first got my tailgaiter, I was having the same problem with even just a sprinkle of rain. Realized that the coax connector at the tailgaiter is exposed to the weather, and easy for water to get into the connection. Covered it with elec tape and now only have problems with big storms.
ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This is very true. My friend uses a Pathway P2 to receive SD DirecTv. I use a full-size Slimline dish on a tripod to get HD DirecTv. The difference in the size of the dish is huge. If it rains just a little, he loses the signal and I don't. The only times I lose the signal is during a torrential downpour or if snow accumulates on the dish.

Bruce
Folks in central Oregon in the snow area use black garbage bags on their dishes.....the wind moves the bag, the bag moves the snow..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondago View Post
When I first got my tailgaiter, I was having the same problem with even just a sprinkle of rain. Realized that the coax connector at the tailgaiter is exposed to the weather, and easy for water to get into the connection. Covered it with elec tape and now only have problems with big storms.
Find you a sat. guy and ask him for a couple weather proof ends...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

We use a super soaker on the home Dish... If it is too bad I use washer fluid to spray. Otherwise the normal tap water will do the job. My dish is on the roof and not easily gotten to.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #13

When we bought our first dish we bought a Tailgater. We keep our trailer at home so we hooked it up there and noticed the signal from the tailgater was a little better than half of the signal of our fixed home unit. We used it on 2 trips and had issues with the signal quality and changing satellites so we decided to exchange it for a Pathway X2 and had a much better signal but still struggled with it changing satellites and regularly loosing them.

We went ahead and ponied up for the Trav'ler a couple of months ago and now get the same quality as our home unit. We spend over a 100 nights a year in the trailer and usually only stay a few days in 1 spot that's why I decided to go with the Trav'ler.

Like has been mentioned since the Tailgater is small and portable it will have some downsides.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
When we bought our first dish we bought a Tailgater. We keep our trailer at home so we hooked it up there and noticed the signal from the tailgater was a little better than half of the signal of our fixed home unit. We used it on 2 trips and had issues with the signal quality and changing satellites so we decided to exchange it for a Pathway X2 and had a much better signal but still struggled with it changing satellites and regularly loosing them.

We went ahead and ponied up for the Trav'ler a couple of months ago and now get the same quality as our home unit. We spend over a 100 nights a year in the trailer and usually only stay a few days in 1 spot that's why I decided to go with the Trav'ler.

Like has been mentioned since the Tailgater is small and portable it will have some downsides.
Pardon a silly question, but do you have the Travl'r mounted on roof permanently or do you use it as a portable? If as a portable can you describe how that works and how well?

Thanks.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #15

The Trav'ler is designed to be permanently roof mounted. Our Cedar. Creek came pre-wired for it and it was a pretty simple straight forward install.

I wanted a very reliable and simple system to set up. I didn't get both with the Tailgater and only kinda got it with the X2.