Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Dish TV

My newest toy arrived this morning!

I was going to wait until Saturday to set it up & activate it but as soon as the delivery truck pulled in the driveway I knew I wouldnít be able to wait!


Set up on the America's Top 120 month to month plan @ $44/mon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISH Tailgater.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	17000  
__________________

__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
We really like our Tailgater. We went with the basic package for $34.99 but the price includes HD and local channels. When we were in Colorado we were able to keep up with where the wildfires were burning throughout the state through the local channels. That was a big plus. Dish was smart marketing the Tailgater to RV’ers, I‘ve been seeing more and more of them at campgrounds.
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,531
i have one. the price was right and it is the easiest thing that i ever set up.
the local channels may not be available to u (work) if u travel out of ur area. i've noticed when we go to tn, we get an out of area msg.

one thing i would add, you can buy an external hard drive, pay dish a one time fee of abt $40, and u have DVR. it behaves just like the DVR's ie speed and controls.
__________________
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i have one. the price was right and it is the easiest thing that i ever set up.
the local channels may not be available to u (work) if u travel out of ur area. i've noticed when we go to tn, we get an out of area msg.

one thing i would add, you can buy an external hard drive, pay dish a one time fee of abt $40, and u have DVR. it behaves just like the DVR's ie speed and controls.

Yeah was a little bummed that we wonít have our local channels in a couple weeks while @ FROG. Wasnít about to pay another $12 for the national ABC, CBS, NBC package.

Iím actually dusting off an old SATA hard Drive enclosure & a 500G hard drive Iíve had sitting in the closet.

Off the top only problem is I can only sync to one satellite while sitting in my driveway. Too many trees.
One of the stations I canít pull in from the driveway is HRTV. DW was bouncing off the walls when she found out weíd be getting that ch.
__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
Yeah was a little bummed that we wonít have our local channels in a couple weeks while @ FROG. Wasnít about to pay another $12 for the national ABC, CBS, NBC package.

Iím actually dusting off an old SATA hard Drive enclosure & a 500G hard drive Iíve had sitting in the closet.

Off the top only problem is I can only sync to one satellite while sitting in my driveway. Too many trees.
One of the stations I canít pull in from the driveway is HRTV. DW was bouncing off the walls when she found out weíd be getting that ch.
You can get the local channels of the area you are going to which usually includes the major networks. Just call DISH, you will need the address of the campground not just the zip code, and tell them you want the local channels for that area. You will have to change it back when you return.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post

Iím actually dusting off an old SATA hard Drive enclosure & a 500G hard drive Iíve had sitting in the closet.
.
i'm using a WD something book 1 T. there was one other that had been tested and known to work. u call dish and they send down the code to format it and make it work with the receiver. the question i would ask is if u can change drives w/o calling them. you would want to know if the receiver would format a new drive in case the one ur trying doesn't work.
i have 350 hrs of sd left now and have quiet a bit on it.

one of ur options is to unmount the drive. i'm afraid to try it w/o asking dish if i can remount it w/o calling them.
__________________
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i'm using a WD something book 1 T. there was one other that had been tested and known to work. u call dish and they send down the code to format it and make it work with the receiver. the question i would ask is if u can change drives w/o calling them. you would want to know if the receiver would format a new drive in case the one ur trying doesn't work.
i have 350 hrs of sd left now and have quiet a bit on it.

one of ur options is to unmount the drive. i'm afraid to try it w/o asking dish if i can remount it w/o calling them.
Swapping HDs, good question!
I was kinda hoping I could bring the HD in the house & watch the shows on my TV via my PC.
Wonder what format it records in? Probably some proprietary format.


While camping I donít expect to be using the DVR too much.
I donít care much for watching TV while camping as it is.
The only reason Iím adding the drive is itís another gadget & he who dies with the most toys wins!
__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,531
i know u can power up with the drive disconnected apparently w/o consequence.
the format, i don't know. sense all is working, i'm leaving it alone.

i would ask dish but don't believe their reps would know. when i had it set up the first time, i followed directions then called dish. the rep wanted to send someone out. he asked someone else then the code was sent. i would like to see some written info on it other than the set up.

one thing that i ran into on my 2002 was that i would miss channels. 205 comes to mind. i would get the reset page and have to wait before i could change to another channel. what i found was a splitter that was more for reg tv instead of sat (it did have the dc pass though). that probably wasn't a problem in 2002 but they raised the band width sense then. that probably won't be a factor on the newer trailers.

i'd like to know how u come out with the drive. other than a separate power source, i don't know what else the drive had to do.
__________________

__________________
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.