Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

DISH Wally Box TV Guide issue?

Hello,

We have the DISH Playmaker and are extremely happy with it, but... When we go too long w/o using it, when I hook it up, it does everything automatically, downloads the guide and all that, BUT, the time is wrong on the guide which means the guide is not showing an accurate list of what TV options are available at that moment (clear as mud?)

Now, after a day or two, if were at that spot that long, it will correct itself.

Now, if it's working perfectly (correct time and shows on guide) and we unhook everything to go launch our boat and come back several hours later and hook it back up, it goes through it's automatic set up and the time is correct and the guide is correct - it's just when we go long stretches w/o using it.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as hitting the power button for 10 seconds or if there is an actual correct procedure to easily fix it???

THANKS!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Coach

The guide information and time recalibration is done through daily updates to the receiver which it can't get when not hooked up to the satellite dish. I believe if you go to the menu pages where you find satellite signal strength, there is a page to update the receiver.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Have you talked to DISH customer service ??

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

The missed updates is exactly why we have Dish at home and in the RV, AND always have the RV receiver hooked up at home when not in the RV. Not only program updates, but also device updates.
I don't want to have to wait to receive updates while on the road.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! And as for calling DISH support, I’m not saying I won’t, but I’d rather gargle with bees than wait 45 minutes and ultimately get someone that I can’t understand ( I have a pretty significant hearing loss and once you add an accent to the voice I’m toast! ��)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Thanks everyone! And as for calling DISH support, I’m not saying I won’t, but I’d rather gargle with bees than wait 45 minutes and ultimately get someone that I can’t understand ( I have a pretty significant hearing loss and once you add an accent to the voice I’m toast! ��)

With all that being said, DISH technical support is pretty darned good. I never had to wait to talk with a tech. You leave your name and number and they usually call you back within a few minutes. No accents, either! But....and I found out the hard way- if they can't resolve your problem, they just quit and don't call you back or let you know anything. I finally got my problem solved without the help of DISH or Winegard.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

I don’t know how much power the receivers draw, or where/how you store your unit. Maybe just putting it on an inverter to keep it powered all the time, or at least at the start of your trip.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

I'm glad to hear someone had good experience with their customer service (I'm seriously happy to hear that!)

As for leaving the wally plugged into a 12v outlet, I think because we have a portable satellite and we're unplugging the DISH every time we move might prevent that from working?

I'm thinking the re-set might be the answer, but I'm going to an electronics/TV place today and I'll ask them - if I learn anything earth shattering, I'll post up!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
…As for leaving the wally plugged into a 12v outlet, I think because we have a portable satellite and we're unplugging the DISH every time we move might prevent that from working?

That’s true. I always forget about the portable units. I was assuming rooftop mounted. See what assuming does?
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #10

Regardless of how you do it, you will have to wait for updates to a receiver that has not been hooked up for awhile. And if it's a software update, it may take some time.
Your options are possible multiple power resets until everything is updated, calling tech support and have them do a reset/resend from their end, use your receiver at home and transfer to RV when traveling, or just hook it up a few days before you leave to receive updates.
We also have had excellent experiences with Dish support. We call them every time we leave our local channel area to reset the locals to our current location.
They have also sent us several replacement receivers over the years when ours failed for whatever reason.
Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

As always, thanks to everyone for responding!

We are going to be traveling across the USA (West to East) so different states everyday or sometimes every other day. I'm guessing we'll be chasing our tails with getting the guide to update every day? LOL, it's NOT the end of the world; yes the guide is very nice, but my wonderful picture is really the most important!

NMWILDCAT - do you just call the regular DISH customer service number? Is there anything special you have to tell them? And, how long does it usually take? I have found anything under 1/2 hour is UNUSUAL!

AND, to be fair, this spring when we fired it up the first time, it needed some attention and we called DISH from our campground and had a very nice guy who walked us through it - LOL, I'm tech stupid, so I'm not sure where he took us on that walk, but it worked!!!

Also, we did do a software update this spring.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #12

We have DUSZh at home and and extra connection so I can get the updates after turning them on. Also make sure you call DISH to change your local location back to your home zip after returning home.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
Retired Army MSG!

Hit home button on your remote three times. It takes you to diagnostics for software updates and so forth. You can probably set from there. At least that works on my Wally with Dish.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

Yep, we just call the regular number for Dish support, tell them we need to change the zip codes for local channels to the zip where we are. I do make sure to have the receiver and sat dish set up before I call them, seems to make it faster as the unit is up and running when they send the refresh. And I do remind them to resend the signal so it gets the new locals change asap. Usually takes about 15 minutes.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #15

Have you changed your location each time you travel so the satellite knows which state it is in? When we go to Florida I must tell my receiver I am in that state.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkathy View Post
Have you changed your location each time you travel so the satellite knows which state it is in? When we go to Florida I must tell my receiver I am in that state.
Yes. We also change our local channel zip code (with Dish customer support) when we move farther than 200 miles or so.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #17

I always put in "Washington" for the state when I first start it up, but LOL, not really sure what that's doing for me.

The electronics/TV place in town didn't know - they said it would self correct within a day or so, which it does, but by then we'll be moving to the next state and so on!!

Thanks folks - I'll be trying some of this next week when we do another short trip locally.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #18

Thread hijack!!

Sorry, butI really need help with my new Dish Playmate. How clear does the Playmate have to have of the southern sky?? Should I be more concerned about SW or SE direction. Did a search of forum, called Dish. Still lost.
Again, sorry for hack. 😳
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Sorry, butI really need help with my new Dish Playmate. How clear does the Playmate have to have of the southern sky?? Should I be more concerned about SW or SE direction. Did a search of forum, called Dish. Still lost.
Again, sorry for hack. [emoji15]
Download the free app Satellite AR or similar app. It will show you exactly where the satellites are and you can determine if there are any obstructions.
What problem are you having?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #20

You have to contact Dish Customer Service (phone or on-line chat... I always do this through chat) and get them to revise your "Service Address" to your current location. This only takes a few minutes and they will send a signal to your Wally and the local channel selections will show up in the Guide. Just remember to do the same when you return home to get those channels.
canmes is offline   Reply With Quote