Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Question Do I need a skinny person?

Well it is coming down to a choice of hauling the Roo back to the dealer to let them fix/replace or doing it ourselves. Don't care to do it ourselves but I do have a valid concern. Here's what is going on...... Forgot to open and test the fan in the bathroom when we picked up Roo on the 25th. BUT I did call early the next morning when they opened the next day. So they were aware of the problem right off the bat. Now I know that we bought it "As Is" but they also said that they would make sure that EVERYTHING is running when we left the lot. OK.. no major problem.

Now as long as it is hot weather the fan will more than likely never be on,AC on during hot weather, unless hubby goes in and really stinks up bathroom! (I would never do anything like that! )

The switch is stuck big time. You have to physically pull it up from the outside to get it to come on and then you have to push it (actually HIT it) to get it to go down to where you can close vent cover. We have sprayed it with silicone spray and it isn't helping. Called Monday and gave description of what we did and what we found..... they agreed that it (switch) needs to be replaced.

My question is two fold. #1 - To replace switch can it be done from the inside or only from the top of camper? #2 - What is a safe weight limit to go UP on top of roof? (OK so I'm no small person..... I wish but I'm not.)

I am comfortable with doing electrical work (Yeah I'm a woman that does that stuff too!).... so doing it myself isn't a problem. Just don't want to crash in the roof of the ROO!!!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

I think the bathroom vent fan work can be done from inside. I'd have to have a look to be sure but I'm thinking it can.

Knowing my luck though I'd be wrong.

As far as weight limit on the roof.... 300lbs? If you are concerned then lay out some 1/2" plywood sheets on top to help distribute the weight.

good luck
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #3

That sure would be great if it could be done from the inside. It's not fun to be an older and larger person to crawl all over stuff.

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
That sure would be great if it could be done from the inside. It's not fun to be an older and larger person to crawl all over stuff.
i'm nearly 56 years old and weigh around 230lbs.
and i'm fine about being on the roof. i do put a sheet of plywood if i have to go towards the center of the roof.

i'm confused about your issue. what you are calling the "switch", do you mean the crank that raises the cover? or the round switch that turns the fan on?

the only switches in the 23SS bathroom are the switch on the wall, next to the toilet, the round fan switch and then the light switch over the sink.

the vent cover has a crank and arm assembly that raises and closes the cover. never seen one with an electric switch to raise and lower it. at least one that comes on a 23SS.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #5

I'm sorry for the confusion. When you raise the cover there is a button switch that allows the fan to come on (keeps it off when the cover is closed)..... that is the one that I'm talking about. You can't see it from inside. Does that help?

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Team

yes, that does help. you're correct that the fan won't work unless the cover is up.
the switch isn't accessible from the inside if you remove the screen?

my trailer is at the dealer so i can't check mine.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote