Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Does Winegard RV antenna need 12 battery hooked up to work?

I have a 2010 Coachmen Freedom Express. I haven't been able to get the Winegard antenna on the roof to work, and I'm not sure why. There is something on the wall under the tv that has a coax and 12v hook up, as well as an on off switch. I believe this is the hook up coming directly from the antenna. I've turned it on and plugged it in, but after my tv does a scan it doesn't find any available channels. I read on a board that the antenna requires the 12v battery to be plugged in to work, and mine has been unplugged since I purchased it a couple of weeks ago because it wasn't charging, so I think I need a new one. My question is, does this antenna NEED the battery to be plugged in to work, or does the converter provide the needed 12v for it to work regardless if the battery is unhooked? Thanks for any assistance.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Team

The antenna is amplified and needs 12V. If the battery is disconnected but you have 12V from the converter ( lights works) you should be OK. The switch on the wall near the ant connection must be on ( a light red or green will light ). No light and you do not have 12V. Make sure you have selected air on the setup menu before you do the scan.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The antenna is amplified and needs 12V. If the battery is disconnected but you have 12V from the converter ( lights works) you should be OK. The switch on the wall near the ant connection must be on ( a light red or green will light ). No light and you do not have 12V. Make sure you have selected air on the setup menu before you do the scan.
Yeah, my lights are all working, so I guess the 12v is functional. The plug is turned on and the light is on, so I think that means it should be getting power. The tv was on air but didn't find any channels. Nothing has to be plugged into the 12v outlet that's next to the switch does it? I didn't know if that was for the antenna, or just a place to plug in 12v items.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2122 View Post
Yeah, my lights are all working, so I guess the 12v is functional. The plug is turned on and the light is on, so I think that means it should be getting power. The tv was on air but didn't find any channels. Nothing has to be plugged into the 12v outlet that's next to the switch does it? I didn't know if that was for the antenna, or just a place to plug in 12v items.
12v outlet is just that as near as I can tell. I just came in from the MH trying to diagnose the several cables in the cabinet and figure out what goes where. I still have a couple of coax cables that I haven't identified. I am sure one is cable. The other might be satellite but I don't know where the other end is.

My switch box is totally hosed so I need to take it apart a re solder some connections. I am using a VERY player to feed cables and see what comes out the other end.

That said, you may have a loose or bad cable or you might be in a poor reception area.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You could take a 50' coax and hook up outside to rv and take the other end inside and using a meter on ohms, check between center wire and center of plug in question...work for cable or sat.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

If the wall switch is broken you will not be able to use the roof antenna as it requires 12 volt power to run the amp and switch from the cable connection to the roof.

It is a power supply and source switch that is de-powered to the outside cable TV input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01912-20120826-1731.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	89361   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard amp.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	89362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Limit.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	89363  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 38 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #7

In our case the antenna had gone bad. Trst as follows.
Push the botton a little light comes on go up on the roof. Disconnect the coax from the antenna and test for voltage. On the batteries you should have 12 or better on the converter charger you may have as much as 14 .2.
If voltage, the ant is probable bad. If your antanna rotates you have lots of replacement options. If not, you have an omnidirectional antenna. There is a lot written about how crappy the Wiengard omni is, even when they work. We put a new one,looking likecwhatvi see on new FR toy haulers. Made by LAVA, I think. Company based about 6 miles from home with dealer about 10 miles away. Monster good. Stations from far and wide. The dealer claims 100 mile range. Love it.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

Go up on the roof, check if you have a visible connection from ant. to wire coming out of roof. If so take apart and check to see if there is a center wire present. If rusted away you need to re-splice th4e connection. Had this happen to mine. took the connector apart no wire inside. Re-spliced with new connectors (Lowes or HD) got reception back.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Go up on the roof, check if you have a visible connection from ant. to wire coming out of roof. If so take apart and check to see if there is a center wire present. If rusted away you need to re-splice th4e connection. Had this happen to mine. took the connector apart no wire inside. Re-spliced with new connectors (Lowes or HD) got reception back.
Once done, they make a tape to weatherproof coax connections. It would be worth applying it even if the connection so currently ok.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #10

I have an omnidirectional. Just bought a new Coachmen Apex and I cant get any channels either. I checked and I have 13.3v coming out of the antenna booster. Hadn't had time to go to the roof and check. If I have the 13.3v on the coax can I assume I have a bad antenna and since its under warranty how hard will it be to get a new one?

Tags
antenna, battery, winegard