Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Smile Dometic Awning Strip Lights

The Dometic Awning Strip Lights on my 2017 FR Sierra Destination trailer,39RL, .stopped working. I checked the fuse block inside the main control panel( on wall just inside my sliding glass doors) where breakers are located and all are ok. Breakers are all “on”. Is there a second fuse panel somewhere I am missing? I checked light wires at the awning. No issues or damage. If I have to replace the strip is there a procedure for removing it? Any help, suggestions to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
snoopyf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyf150 View Post
The Dometic Awning Strip Lights on my 2017 FR Sierra Destination trailer,39RL, .stopped working. I checked the fuse block inside the main control panel( on wall just inside my sliding glass doors) where breakers are located and all are ok. Breakers are all “on”. Is there a second fuse panel somewhere I am missing? I checked light wires at the awning. No issues or damage. If I have to replace the strip is there a procedure for removing it? Any help, suggestions to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
When you say you checked "light wires at the awning" do you mean that you checked to see if you had power there and you did?

If so, that surprises me as LED's generally last a long time. Must have got a bad set. If all the fuses are good, that would have been the first place I sent you looking, for a pinched, broken wire as that or a corroded or bad connector are usually the reason for LED's going out.

As far as the procedure for removing the light strip, it depends on where and how it's mounted. Some are just held on by self adhesive. Some are mounted under the edge of a rail and some are screwed in place every so far. So your going to have to identify which of the above you have and report back for a solid answer.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #3

do you have a remote for your awning lights? with ours, if you used the remote to turn them off last..... You have to use it to turn them back on. same if you use the wall switch. Could be the issue?
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggcowan View Post
do you have a remote for your awning lights? with ours, if you used the remote to turn them off last..... You have to use it to turn them back on. same if you use the wall switch. Could be the issue?
Absolutely could be the issue. I don't have a remote so that slipped my mind but have read of that being the issue for multiple people in different posts.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

I checked my light wiring. At the switch I measured 13.3vdc. At the led strip connector(molded plug connector)under the plastic sheathing on vertical awning support arm, I measured only 6.3 vdc with switch on. A continuity of the wire that feeds the light strip from switch to the connector and got infinity on ohmmeter. Ground wire has continuity from end to end. Also noted that the wire coming off the switch is black with white stripe and at the connector it is white.seems to be something in between switch and connector where the color of power wire was changed when Coach was built. Someone mentioned a power box that feeds the lights from the switch. Not certain where to look for this.
snoopyf150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, light