Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator noise

our new dometic refrigerator makes a lot of noise - and it seems to run all the time
does anyone have the same issue - whats the fix
heron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

Dometic Refrigerator noise

I'm going to assume it's like mine. My cooling fan is noisy. Swap with a good PC cooling fan should drop the noise considerably. There is probably a thermostat that will shut down the fans when it gets cooler....mine shows one on the schematic.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Which model do you have?

Most absorption models are very quite. However, there is a small fan (or two) in the back of the unit that could be making noise, but I wouldn't think it could be very loud.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
However, there is a small fan (or two) in the back of the unit that could be making noise, but I wouldn't think it could be very loud.
Much louder than you would think. I can hear mine running outside the trailer 20 feet away on the opposite side.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Ree

Noise and cooling refrig issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron2000 View Post
our new dometic refrigerator makes a lot of noise - and it seems to run all the time
does anyone have the same issue - whats the fix
REFRIGERATOR COOLING PROBLEM

Many owners have a refrigerator with two outside access vent covers. One low and one high. The theory is, rising hot air pulls cooler air into the lower vent and a the hotter air vents out the top. Then some genius thought the refrigerator coil fins were not seeing the moving cooler air so they installed a small fan blowing upward to the back of the refrigerator. Then because the coil fins are just about centered on the upper vent, another genius decided to block more than half the vent opening with wood paneling, reasoning the moving air would flow over the coil fins.

The fan in ours was annoying and noisy. We notice the cabinet walls next to the refrigerator were unusually HOT. Removing the vents exposed the wood paneling baffles. Removing the top piece also exposed there is no insulation around the refrigerator.

So, we have a vent that is mostly blocked, a fan to small to do any good and no insulation. And the refrigerator has a cooling problem? DUH!

SOLUTIONS: First, the heat has to get out from behind the refrigerator. It is much more important that the heat escapes than to have mechanical air flow over the coil fins.
I removed the fan and put a bullet through it. Next I cut out as much of the wood paneling blocking the upper vent as I could. I cut some strips of 2" Styrofoam to fit into the sides of the cabinet around the refrigerator closing off that cavity. There is a large cavity above the refrigerator and that was blocked by blocks of 2" Styrofoam. On walls if the cavity behind the refrigerator, I glued Styrofoam there to insulate the surrounding cabinetry.

RESULTS: Five days in Florida 90 + degree weather, evenings mid 80's. NO fan ! No Noise !!! Normal use each day.
Day 1 am - Refrigerator cooled prior to loading - Freezer 2 degrees, Refrigerator 32 degrees. Unit loaded with pre-cooled or frozen items. Propane cooling for 3 hours, 120 Volt cooling the balance of the time.
Day 2 am - Freezer 12 degrees, Refrigerator 46 degrees
Day 3 am - Freezer 10 degrees, Refrigerator 35 degrees
Day 4 am - Freezer 5 degrees, Refrigerator 35 degrees
Day 5 am - Freezer 5 degrees, Refrigerator 35 degrees
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Would still put a couple of ball brg computer fans just above the burner and let it blow over the entire back. Put them on a switch so if you happen to park with the sun on the side with the refrigerator, you can assist the convection.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #7

I think our units fan is very noisy too. I was also intrigued by the height of the paneling in the upper access area. I like the concept of the solution adapted by Ree, may give that a try with a change out to a quieter fan.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would still put a couple of ball brg computer fans just above the burner and let it blow over the entire back. Put them on a switch so if you happen to park with the sun on the side with the refrigerator, you can assist the convection.

We also had thoughts like yours, but so far we have not had to do the fans, but with Florida hot sun we probably will do just that, but put them on the top vent to evacuate the hot air and draw the air through from the bottom vent. The insulation made a whale of difference. Hope this helps someone get some sleep!

Tags
dometic, noise, refrigerator