Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
Dometic warranty rip-off?

had to have my rooftop dometic heat/ac unit repaired at just 6 months old and under the factory warranty. local authorized repair shop obtained dometic ok and then did the repair. now 3 weeks later the repair shop says dometic will only pay for the new part and not for the labor and that they want the bad part shipped back for inspection at the shop's expense (ie me).

i replied in writing that is was a covered warranty repair and not my problem for any costs.

anyone ever hear of such nonsense?
jk31668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31668 View Post
had to have my rooftop dometic heat/ac unit repaired at just 6 months old and under the factory warranty. local authorized repair shop obtained dometic ok and then did the repair. now 3 weeks later the repair shop says dometic will only pay for the new part and not for the labor and that they want the bad part shipped back for inspection at the shop's expense (ie me).

i replied in writing that is was a covered warranty repair and not my problem for any costs.

anyone ever hear of such nonsense?

If you don't mined me asking, what parts where replaced.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the the RV, and all is well, then I would forget it. MAYBE i would ask to see the "OK" from Dometic, in writing. If they can't produce it, I hope you didn't sign anything for the repair. Ask for the phone number and contact person at Dometic. Also ask for the part, and the address for Dometic. Take the part, and get it ready to ship, and take it to UPS, pay for the return receipt requested, and then take it to the dealer and say "I will be expecting a receipt." This is of course, after you have contacted Dometic and verified the dealer statements are true. In today's economy, they are trying everything. Can't be too careful.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

not sure what all was bad but the shop replaced the whole control box above the air filter. also contained in the parts box was a new thermostat for the wall so it must be a package deal. to me, it seemed like the fuse holder got loose from the circuit board so i guess it was just easier to change out the whole shebang. i sent a reply letter to the local guy politely telling him it is a covered warranty issue and that any problems are between him and dometic and i will not be responsible as its not my problem. we shall see.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Best of luck with that. However, if the camper is only 6 months old, then your standard Forest river one year warranty applies here. I would be on the phone with them. They chose to put that brand A/C unit on their product; not you! You purchased their product AND it's implied warranties. If you MUST deal with dometic directly, then their obligations to you is to replace any defective parts, which they have done. Shipping parts to and from, and any labor costs can and probably will be passed on to you. I would also call A&E/Dometic myself, just to verify their who pays what policies on warranty repairs. The dealer service dept. may be trying to pull 1 over on you! Good luck! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #6

contacted dometic and was advised that the original owner has 2 years parts & service coverage. will see what the repair service has to say.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Sounds like the service dept was trying to double dip.