Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

drawers gliders scraping fix

Have you noticed that some of your drawers are scraping badly when you open and close them. The nice drawers on gliders should run very smooth. The scraping is caused by these locking devices located on the frame work. The solution: take the drawer out and remove the roller locking bracket. Mark the location on the side of this bracket and shave with a file aprx 1/16 on an inch of wood. Replace the bracket and the drawer. Presto you have a super smooth drawer that glide free with no scraping. The problem is that there is no clearance under the drawer to clear this locking device. It took me aprx one hour to do the whole trailer and now what a difference. By the way our is a rockwood 2011. This part to shave under is the one with the 2 small spring loaded rollers.( a coarse flat file will shave the wood in a very short time)
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

A before and after photo would be helpful.
Thank you for sharing!

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Have you noticed that some of your drawers are scraping badly when you open and close them. The nice drawers on gliders should run very smooth. The scraping is caused by these locking devices located on the frame work. The solution: take the drawer out and remove the roller locking bracket. Mark the location on the side of this bracket and shave with a file aprx 1/16 on an inch of wood. Replace the bracket and the drawer. Presto you have a super smooth drawer that glide free with no scraping. The problem is that there is no clearance under the drawer to clear this locking device. It took me aprx one hour to do the whole trailer and now what a difference. By the way our is a rockwood 2011. This part to shave under is the one with the 2 small spring loaded rollers.( a coarse flat file will shave the wood in a very short time)
I just took a pair of needle-nose pliers and bent the locking tab slightly so that it no longer contacted the cabinet wall. Took maybe 10 seconds each.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

On my "new" 2010 Flagstaff I had to raise the frame about 1/4 " and move the frame to the left about same amount to get drawers to close correctly. Not sure if it was just mine (factory oversight), but drawers had no finish on inside. Made dividers and put a few coats of poly on them.
tom.keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Our drawers are fine. I suppose it is just a matter of sloppy workmanship for those that don't work properly.
Odd thing is, the fit and finish on our whole camper is outstanding. So the entire crew who built our unit did a great job.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

herk7769: Here is a picture of the locking device you wanted a picture. It takes a few seconds to file and if after you still have a scrape you can still file a bit farther. As vtxal said you can try to bend the bracket a bit but if the scraping is more than a touch you will have to file. You will noticed that the drawerscraping more when some loaded materials are adding some weight and causes the board to sag a bit. Mine were scraping without any items in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06625.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	6009  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote